Advice For First Time Fighters

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Feb 23, 2017.

1. BahadZubu

BahadZubu Valued Member

Great article. I love the part about being cool headed and respectful. Thanks!

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I saw a few amateurs doing the douche bag maneuvers. It's really not worth it unless you're a pro trying to sell something.

3. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

After fight care is also something worth touching on also.

A medic should come and see you after your fight. This is normal. Once adrenaline wears off you will feel your bumps and bruises. That's normal too. Congratulations, you graduated. Welcome to fight club. If you feel like rubbish, see a medic without hesitation. Don't try and man up to look big in front of your supporters, it's your health at risk when you get in the ring, not theirs. Live to fight another day and all that. If you feel bad or worried about any injury after the fight, see your Doctor or go to the NHS. Again, don't hesitate. You may know your own body but some of the more serious injuries can creep up on you without you ever realizing.

Take some food with you for after the fight, a pack of sandwiches, some crisps, a chocolate bar, etc. Make sure you drink a lot of water after your fight as you'll be dehydrated (especially in five round plus striking bouts). Energy drinks are ok too, but primarily you want water and food. Don't go straight to the bar and down several pints without hydrating. I've witnessed first hand fighters do that then go faint afterwards due to dehydration. Your constitution for alcohol will not be that high (assuming you've had a clean camp) so tread carefully.

If you're in the UK, a high percentage of amateur shows tend to be held on Sundays where venues are cheaper to rent out. If you have a good boss it is worth taking the Monday after off if required to rest up. For some it's good to have a day of reflection, feasting and resting after what's been a tough camp. For most who are competing for their first time I do recommend doing this. You won't know how you feel until after you've done it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Some things may scare you a little. Good. The fight game is serious business, not a schoolyard scuffle, and it should be treated as such. Train well, listen to your corner team, keep your guard up, look after yourself properly after the fight and you'll be just fine.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  4. kandi

kandi Valued Member

Thanks Chadderz. This reads really well.

5. Pretty In Pink

Cheers Kandi! :)

@UC don't want to quote you because it's so long but yeah, you're spot on. I also got a bit of feedback about the actual fight itself.

6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I'm of the opinion feedback should be given in the gym. Fighters should be focused on recovery after, not their performance. Every coach has their own method mind.

7. Pretty In Pink

Oh no, I mean people also asked that I write about actually being in the fight too :p I agree with you :)

8. wonglongwingchu

wonglongwingchu Valued Member

nice advice

good advice. Hopefully i get one under my belt soon. Thanks mate

9. Pretty In Pink

Good luck! What arts are you studying just now? :D

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think Chadderz should have a publisher tag.

11. Pretty In Pink

Oooh thanks! What does it do?

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nothing, sorry.

It's just something that shows you've had an article published on MAP.

There are things going on with the upgrade that may allow us to host blogs.

Mitch and I would like to do something with your blog and we'll keep you informed when we know more.

13. Pretty In Pink

Well I should get writing then :p

14. wonglongwingchu

Wing chun, BJJ, and Judo :)

15. Pretty In Pink

Interesting mix! How long in each art? :)

16. wonglongwingchu

Wing Chun about 7 years, BJJ 2-3 years on and off (got my blue belt not too long ago), Judo just started about half a year.

Still a lot to learn :)

17. Pretty In Pink

Nice! Congrats on the belt :D

18. emmawebb

emmawebb New Member

Nice work Chadderz ! I appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  19. UrbanOkami

UrbanOkami New Member

Hey Chadderz how long have you trained and where do you train at?

20. Pretty In Pink

Six years in August man. I train in Edinburgh, Scotland. :)