Aikido application in daily life

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikiMac, Feb 11, 2005.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Personally I'd say you've mastered an art when you no longer have to practice by numbers. When can train freely while being pressure tested by those of equal or greater skill in both your chosen system and from other systems without the need to be flash.

2. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

See and that just comes down to a difference in semantics. The way most people use it, I find, tends to be that everything is perfect and you don't have to learn/grown anymore as a martial artist.

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I tend to be of the persuasion that if you've stop learning or growing as a martial artist then you've either reached your limit or more likely just stopped trying.

4. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Or you're in the ground. Either way it's a difference in definition. And do you really believe you can reach a point in your skill that no matter how much you train your understanding, application, and training do not change?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well when you're in the ground you've reached retirement. Which is a whole different kettle of fish.

6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

whoa whoa, I don't know where YOU shop but where I shop fish do not come in in kettles!

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

For some people. Yes. There are a few reasons they why may reach that wall. Injury, blind faith and aptitude for martial arts are the reasons that spring to mind. Simply put, not everybody is cut out to be a martial artist. Not everybody has the aptitude to pick up the techniques and decipher how to use them or apply them to unscripted free flowing events. Some martial arts students are simply not imaginative enough to be sufficiently adaptive to operate outside the confines of paired kata.

For some people it's tradition or dogma that holds them back. They invest so much time in learning and believing in the teachings of their style they can't see the woods for the trees. They are the martial arts equivalent of fundamentalist Christians who interpret The Bible literally word for word as the word of God and believe the world is only 6000 years old.

For other people injury throws up a barrier. If they can't get around that barrier be it mental or physical then they've reached an impasse in their training.

8. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Fair enough. I am especially not fond of the dogmatic people in any arena. In fact I think the only area they should be in is a sealed one with several hungry lions :evil:

And when it comes to martial arts dogmatism in any form is doing yourself a huge disservice.

9. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Complete rubbish, my instructor holds the rank of 8th Dan JAA Aikido, 7th Dan Iaido ZNKR, 7th Dan Jodo ZNKR, and a 1st Dan Kendo from the BKA. The key to studying and practice is the amount of time we can devote to training. This is what stops most of us studying several arts at once in depth.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
  10. hiro1998

hiro1998 Valued Member

calmness helps you be aware of what your doing, if your spazzing out, how r u gonna be aware? the idea of these principles is to AVOID confrontation, not to fight, do u think the purpose of martial arts is to destroy someone??

11. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

A true Martial Artist will spend the correct amount of time training and studying to TRULY master each art the amount he/she practices should be down to the amount off time they have. No matter if its 2 or more arts its about FULLY understanding each on and spending YEARS perfecting these arts and tech. The real problem with some modern deshi is jumping in and out of arts for a period of a few months or a few years and thinking they have mastered that art so time to move on to the next.

12. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

See I think that's the real problem. When I see someone claiming that level of rank in multuple arts and they've trained for 10 or 20 years when in other arts training almost every day it takes that long to achieve something like 4-8th dan.

I didn't say spazzing. You can be out of control and very enraged while still being focused and aware.
    No the purpose of common sense is to avoid confrontation.
    martial = war, by definition. Martial arts were created and maintained for fighting and defensive/offensive purposes. If you want to train something for 'not fighting' take up knitting. Do you think locking out someone's arm in training is for "creating harmony" or any such foolishness? It is to be able to break someone's arm when you need to.
    The truest martial arts in existence today are military arts such as shooting, artillery, defnsive/offensive battlefield tactics, etc. So yes. Martial arts are to destroy people.

13. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Sounds like your sensei is affiliated with Kokikai Aikido ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokikai ).

A nice description here of the context of how those four principles apply to daily life:

------------------------------
    From http://www.wilmingtonaikido.com/oldsite/about/index.htm

------------------------------

14. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

My instructor has been practising Aikido since 1961. The ranks are not claimed they are awarded form the Japan Aikido Association and the Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei. But you are correct there are many Soke, Kancho, Hanshi, Shihan from their own styles who are very suspect.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2011
  15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Originally, yes. Do you think martial arts were developed so we could all hug and make up? You're dreaming in the aiki clouds I always warn people to avoid when considering Ki Aikido as an option.

16. CICU

CICU New Member

The ability to protect ourselves (to a certain degree) automaticaly encourages us to remain calm in situations were we would have other ways lost our cool and start a fight by sending the wrong signals (body and talk). That is similar to a dog that find itself cornered. Fear can be our most dangerous enemy!!

As for the times when it is not possible to avoid it, fight like your life is depending on it but always keep in mind that that fight is probably as worthly as a good few training cessions on the mat.

There's nothing like true life experiences and there's always someone out there that is stronger than us

17. Osu,

If you have to fight, it is because your life depends on it, so I agree with the first part. :)

However,

I am at odds with the second part? :eek:
    Are you trying to say that fighting is better (more efficient) than training?
    IMHO, if you are really involved in a fight, for one, it will likely be over in a few seconds, and second, if you want to be the one alive when the dust settles, better forget anything that happened on the mat!
    I do not think you can approach a "fight for your life" with any kind of sparring for fun, no matter what sort of contact you are used to!

Osu!

18. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I would tend to agree with this. I look at Aikido as being a system of principles rather than a system of techniques. The main idea behind that approach for me is to free students from dojo experiences which can limit their perceptions of the real world. I'm of the opinion that sparring practice where two or more students are playing the same game or at least a martial arts sparring game is a very different beast from a random encounter on the street.

Sparring practice helps in the same way all pressure testing techniques help. But it's nothing like the real world.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  19. CICU

CICU New Member

I would rather say that sometimes it's good to recheck ourselves. Improving reflexes and coordination is part of training and the chances are that these will be at work during a fight, so sure forget the mat, it'll be there anyway.

However what we learn about ourselves in these situations is invaluable and can't be learned on the mat.

you're correct, sparring fun in a fight implies that either you like fighting or that you could have avoided it and fought anyway which does not sound right.

Regardless of how the Word master is interpreted, different martial arts can be learned and practised until enough experience is gained so that it becomes difficult to find other people that can directly teach you. Certain similarities in MA make it easier to quickly develop a good grasps on what is taught.

20. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Very true. With Wing Chun doing drills like pak sao and chi sao when I'm focusing on the principle of aiki in Wing Chun drills my partners usually comment on how annoying it is that they can barely feel my arms or how it feels like they're punching at nothing.

It's that same annoying sensation from whenever I'd try to hit my aikido sensei full force... like punching a ghost only to find I was flat on my back with little or no idea how I got there. Glad I can actually replicate that outside of aikido :)