Looking for kids games for MA training

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Latikos, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Hi people!

I need a bit of your help.
    Again.

Next year is sort of getting serious for me.

Longer version
    Last year, when entering one of my current clubs, we have made a deal: I assist in the kids classes and don't have to pay the monthly fees.
    This way I was able to train there, because I couldn't have afford it otherwise.

To my personal surprise it actually worked out rather well.
    The parents say that the Kids love me.
    I got to get a lot of "behind the scenes work" done, which includes talk to parents, organization things and such - for me that's really difficult; thanks to social phobia and other things; BUT it really works out so far!
    Which has me a bit proud, I admit.

Now comes the "problem" ;)
    It might have worked a bit too well.

I also learned that, for the managing committee, I am the main person to talk to, when it comes to our JJ kids classes; not the actual coach.
    Which has me sort of thankful, even though it feels a bit strange.
    I can see the reasoning though.

To cut to the chase: The above also means, that I get a lot of the responsibility of what we will do (in the group of the young ones, 4-7/8) and that I will train the more advanced students in the older group (yellow belts and one yellow-orange belt, age 8-11 at the moment), because otherwise they won't advance.

I will write down a program of what the older ones will learn for their gradings; I have a list of the stuff they have to show (throws, locks, SD against wrist grab etc.) and I am supposed to write down what exactly they do.
    Okay, fine with that.
    I already asked two of my teachers to check what I have written, to see if it really works or is rubbish.

For the younger group we (finally!) want to train more play-wise (the main instructor essentially did the same training with both groups, which is similar to grown-up training).

TLTR-version
    Therefore I'm looking for games for young kids.
    Not only fun games, but things they also learn and develop certain abilities.
    Be it balance, certain movements, rolling (fall-breeaking as well as normal rolling on the long axis or how to tumble), beginnings of throws...
    Of course games just for the fun are great as well, but I'd hope to find new ideas of "MA games for kids"; I know some judo clubs have fun games, like topping the turtle and such.

The club already bought a little book, I have a document about "Karate games" and I will be searching the internet a lot more.

But I hope to get some tips here of games you know or have done in kids classes as well and which were popular.
    I also think there might be games in English speaking countries we don't have like that or with a difference here and there to "our version".
    Slight differences might already be a great thing, because like this the games are more "little kid friendly" and sometimes you miss the forest for the trees.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Have you seen the Gracie "bullyproof" DVD's? Lots of good ideas on there for you

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Cub Scout game books have a lot of silly, easy physical games, too.

One that I remember is sumo wrestling while hopping on one foot. That is, with one hand you have to hold onto one of your ankles. That leaves one hand for pushing your opponent -- while you're hopping on your other foot. First to fall down, or leave the circle, loses, except that his loss doesn't count if you let go of your own ankle. Little boys enjoy it. :D

5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Hannibal: Never even heard of it, but looking at the video right now.
    Didn't make it past the first 40seconds because my internet connection is being annoying, but that looked like fun.
    Not sure how to integrate it yet, since we have to few bigger people there.
    But maybe the vid has an answer for that as well :)
    If it ever loads.......

EDIT: That fixed itself faster than I was expecting.
    Feedback: I *love* the video and the idea behind it and I think it's quite cool, that it has an explanation tugged to it (admittedly, even I got the idea from watching, but still).
    I think it's a good game for when the group is not too big (with 17 ids around that could get too boring for the others), but for when it's less kids, I think it's great!
    They will enjoy that for sure; they already love it when they get the chance to turn me over as a group from turtle position or riding me as a horse, so I don't see them not liking this game.
    Maybe that's even an idea for the bigger kids as well; but I'd need to check their weights first :D

Not sure if it's important in the future for other tips: I'm doing JJJ, not BJJ.
    Would love to do the latter, but that's outside of price range right now.
    I don't mind using grappling at all though! In my opinion that's the most natural for kids that age anyway, and something we want to work and build with.

aikiMac: We played something very similar with our Judo-coach with the grown-ups - they liked it as well :D
    I think I might try this, actually, since we have a line with jostle and tug games :thinking:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  6. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Our kids love a game, when all sit down in a circle, entangling their arms and holding each other, never mind if they all face out or in. Two or so are chosen to pull the others out. Whoever is pulled joins the pulling team. Chokind forbidden, tingling and biting... well, depends :D It can be surprisingly tiring and we usually do it at the end of the class f the kids were behaving nice. I sometimes cut the time for this game by 30 secs if they were being too loud and misbehaved and it worked wonders! :D

Another nice thing is you make pairs when the kids train in a gi or lend them an obi if they don't. They start perhaps from sitting back to back and after start, their goal is to untie the obi of hte other, no hitting or holding your own belt with your hands allowed. The winer is whoever unties the belt and stands up with it, holding it up above it's head. I have to admit, this is a good game even for us adults. There's generally a lot of screaming and laughing whenever we play it. :D

7. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Catching a tail from the rear of the belt. You can cut up bits of rope or old obi for it.

Hunker Down. Requires a bit of carpentry, but great for balance. It's tug of war on a small platform about 4 inches off the ground.

8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

@Nachi: We thought about something really similar as your first game too.
    The kids would lie down in a line though ^^

Second one sounds good, that should be fun :D

@Langenschwert: We did the first game already a few times. We used obis of the club or on another occasion several clothespin and the kid with the most would win.
    Most of the kids really had fun with the game but of course we also have our two or three kids who just are too scared for it.
    To be honest though: They're afraid of most games in the beginning.

Haven't heard of the second, I think.
    Sounds good, but I'd have to figure out if I could make or get something for it.
    But with that thought alone, some more could come out of it.

Thanks to the both of you as well!

9. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I've seen cinder blocks used before, but I just thought of something: try yoga blocks if you're indoors!

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

We have two of [​IMG] but I think they're a bit too high.
    Or I'm too scared to accidentally kill the kids ;)

We do have kick pads though and one of them isn't in best shape anymore anyway :thinking:

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

A short heads-up:

I so have worked through some games from homepages and from a book I once bought used for another reason (which was surprisingly helpful anyway) and have made a list of some games, I hope will work and entertain the kids at the same time it will teach them something.

Currently I'm writing a little "story" about an explorer, who takes a plane, train, boat... to visit some places where he observes some animals, climbs mountains...
    The idea behind it - neither new nor especially creative, I know - should be, that the kids run in a line, playing a plane, train (including sounds!, Never forget the sounds! ;) ) and once the explorer arrives run everywhere and play the animals until it goes back from the adventure...
    It's supposed to be a warm-up alternative to playing catch.

I will order these games in some categories and hope not to screw up :D

In addition I will ask my Sensei, who has trained kids long enough as well, to help me out with some tips, on how to teach the little ones some simple techniques in a more playful way.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

13. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Thanks.

Hannibal already mentioned Bullyproof and gave the Crazy Horse example, which I still think is awesome.

Unfortunately I have to watch the money a bit, and $100 is a hell of a lot of money for me :-|

In the end it also still must fit "our" (pseudo Japanese) JJ; so I can't (well, I admit it: "want") to spent so much money on something I am not sure I can use.
    We have pretty much everything included in "our" JJ, so chances are I might be safe, especially because be my second JJ instructor also started on MMA-tournaments, but still - tons of money for me.

Therefore looking for games, help, tips... and learning myself a lot on the way.
    Luckily my "boss" knows that and supports me anyway and also because of that.

He also never mentiones how much work that is :dunno: :bang:
    But I bet that was coincidence :whistle: ;)

14. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Pool noodles! I buy them by the dozens. Bo training, eskrima training, pugal training etc.

You get to train them while they get to hit each other. Of course with bigger kids it's going to hurt a bit.

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you want for free, (legally) just try a google search of

''kids judo games pdf''

for example

http://www.concordemartialarts.com/images/Judo_and_Cuong_Nhu_Games_1_.pdf

http://goltzjudo.com/Tiny Tots Judo Article 2-12.pdf

or a youtube search ''kids judo games''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URF3AIkfeWU

If your teaching pseudo Jiujitsu - then judo and BJJ resources will have a lot of suitable, and safe drills.

PS here's a very good article on the subject - http://www.grapplearts.com/teaching-bjj-to-kids/

16. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I actualy thought (well, read :D ) about that too and talked already to my "boss" (I just him call him now. The dude who runs our club) and he likes the idea.

Do you shorten them, since they're 1,60m long, and to what length?
    I thought about using them to train evading, since even the four year olds can beat each other with it.

What exactly do you do with older kids (so 8+) with it?
    We also have padded sticks, that we used with them, but to be honest, "our" kids are often so "game-ish" that I was glad, they didn't hurt each other.
    On the other side they would be "too careful" with them, since they can hurt a bit (way more then pool noodles I expect :D ), when you're a kid.

Anyone want to beat me with my own shoe?
    Only had a quick glance at it yet but will look into in more detail later!

Just to clarify that, since I noticed how really bad that sounds :eek:
    Sorry.
    In Germany JJ gets promoted as "the old art from Japan", but most schools don't belong to a koryu or anything.
    JJ got introduced here in 1906 by a man (Erich Rahn) who claimed it to be the real deal and that he learned by Kano and whatnot, but that doesn't seem to be true.

So personally I call it pseudo JJ at times, because it's supposed to have this roots but it's not proven and most likely not the most true.
    We still learn the things that are included in traditional JJ (as far as I can say) and my teachers actually had a very good teacher themself, who even made a bit of a name of himself here (even though his personality seems to be that of... not so nice person, his technical knowledge must be awesome; I will meet next months for the first time, but apparently he's gooten old and sick); I get that from people wh like and dislike him.

Anyway...

I prefer the ground anyway, personally (still wish, I could do BJJ or LL as well) and for kids especially.
    Even more so when they're like 4-7, because I think it's the most natural for them in that age to playful move and fight on the ground.

In addition we want to add games about balance, which I think is a good thing actually.
    The kids show me at times - "Look what I can do!" - and then they stand on one leg or jump like a rabbit.
    These are the moments where you actively remember, that things like this are achievements for them and therefore should be praised.

Will read that too.
    Wonder how I didn't see this, since I like Kestings homepage a lot!

If anyone has more on that, I take it as well.
    I read one or two articles on Jesse Encamps Karate-nerd homepage from which I learned and took a bit as well.

17. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

We have a game we have at my dojo which we call the "zombie game" (because we all lack creativity). It works best for 6 or so kids, who we put in a fixed area. One kid gets a kicking sheild, which they hold in front of them, and has to tag the other kids with it. When a kid gets tagged they become a zombie and have to grab a sheild and join thw first zombie - the last one standing starts the next round. The zombies are only allowed to move so fast and has to go two or three steps pastrhe other kids if they miss. The other kids have to use their stances and footwork to avoid the zombies. Other rules can be added to make it more interesting, like no moving backwards, or having to touch the zombie's shoulder after you avoid him.

18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Sounds like something we could try, when there are not too many kids there.
    Otherwise we'd not have enough kicking shields :D

I really undererstimated how difficult it can be, to keep the younger children interested in one game even though they have fun playing it :eek:

I mean, I learned -and expected- rather quick, that it will be as tiring to teach kids, as is the own training.
    They suck out your strength like little moskitos :D

I also realized, that I not only should expecting help here, but also at the very least offer the aforementioned articles, so here we go:

3 secrets to being a karate-instructor that kids love and respect

Karate Kids teaching guide

How to be a good Karate parent
    (Yeah, I'm not the parent, but I take a look at it anyway ;) )

That one, I admit, I only found right now, but I like it as well:
    How I taught...

Maybe anyone now on in the future has use for one or all of these articles.