Demonstration Vs. Application

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by David Harrison, Jan 6, 2017.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Attacker standing there after one attack and letting themselves get pummeled

Defender moving at a much faster speed then attacker to look good

Throwing multiple attacks whilst his opponent doesn't move or defend themselves

Blinding fast strikes with no power dehind them.

Its like the 90s never happened, the Gracie challenges didn't happen and the early UFC's never took place.

Judging by the points above I think its a good thing he never stepped back into the ring

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

There should be a, "Though shalt not" list for demos, and those 4 should be top of it.

Mitch

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I think for a lot of people the 90s didn't happen.

I took a break from martial arts that was longer than expected, 10 years! I didn't watch fights, never looked at MA sites, didn't discuss it with people, basically left the whole thing behind. I was amazed when I got back into doing martial arts and the same arguments were there, people were making the same stupid claims and the same ridiculous training methods were still being practiced by some (or even many). It seems worse now than it ever was as the info is available at a click of a button and it's all free, you're no longer relying on Combat, MAI or your mate down the pub for your source of info.

4. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

What happens when people don't play along

https://youtu.be/PLZp1iRQnBw

https://youtu.be/7z-xAy274d8

A lot of demos are just meant to make an instructor look good and make it look like their system or fantasy ideas works. Feed their ego and make it about them.
    It should be about the student and getting them to have experiences that they learn from. The students experiences from light to heavy drills, light to heavy spars and some form of competitive fight....plus any real world experience they might have. While helping them along the way

If it has not been seen in a full contact fight, ever, or in countless clips of assaults or real world fights or situations, it is most likely nonsense. No matter who shows it, how popular they are, how many certificates they have etc.

There is way too much peer pressure and lack of empowerment to be an individual and to just believe in things or people because they are names or certified in this or that. They might even be good sound people and popular. It doesn't mean they are right.
    It is perfectly reasonable, and sensible to question and want evidence or to experience it for real.

No one would have a builder doing work on their house if they could not give examples of their work and the quality of it. No one would have a driving instructor who didn't actually drive, for real and get you to drive for real using the ideas they claim will work while driving.
    No one would learn to swim from a coach who pretends by the side of the pool and never puts you in the water with the strokes they claim will work.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Not 100% on topic, but this is Youtube's recommendation after the second video you posted. So the question is - is this parody? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZafCw2dFtU

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

that video is definitely parody, there was loads knocking about after the efo video last year!

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i blame a few things: the lack of critical thinking; the pervasiveness of popular martial arts culture, like movies, magazines, etc.; the pervasiveness of quote-unquote "combat" systems.

what do i mean about "combat" systems? it's all these arts that bill them selves as more lethal or functional than the next one. the poster art is probably krav maga, but i think systema, hapkido, ninjutsu to an extent fit this.

i'm going to use myself as an example here, because this is how i felt. and i watched ufc 1 live, and i was an avid boxing fan in the 80's.

all these things come together: marketing, lack of thinking, "combat" system. so, someone like me say watches billy jack as a kid, billy jack looks like a total bad-ass, when i'm seeking to learn, i fall back to watching billy jack as a kid. i suspend my critical thinking as i'm training, because i want to believe that even though this does all look like nonsense, i want to believe that i can't spar because it's too deadly. because it is, right? in hapkido we always did the big finishing move with the loud kihop--like, elbow to the prone uke's unprotected throat. KIYA...you're dead!

once you get sucked in, it's hard to get out. i wanted to believe that i was learning this "combat" system and i stuck with it to 1st dan. but eventually, somehow i broke out of it, and now i know it's all junk. the great thing was it only took about 1/2 of a bjj lesson to cure me--even less actually, really first live spar during the first class i took.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Some demos are not that easy. I have trained very hard myself for so many years. I still cannot achieve this level of demonstration. It take good balance and flexibility to be able to

- touch hand on the ground,
    - kick leg up,
    - take your opponent down, and
    - remain balance.

The older I'm, the harder it is for me to touch hand on the ground, and kick leg up even for the "solo training".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKCAFPurcm4

Some demos are difficult for untrained person.

[​IMG]

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

sweet ouchi gari video youknowho

10. holyheadjch

It's weird. I'd say it's halfway between ouchi and uchi mata. The leg isn't reaped, it's lifted, but the direction and mechanism of the throw isn't really uchi mata either. It's cool though. I might play with it.

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Remember, I'm very much still on the learning side - I had thought more of "gake" then "gari"?
    Or goes toris leg too far up for that or doesn't ..."grip" long enough?

12. holyheadjch

Gari and gake refer to the mechanism of the throw and what distinguishes them is which leg is doing the work. If the forward leg is moving uke's foot, it is gari, if it is the standing back leg driving foward that completed the throw it is gake. That video shows the forward leg lifting uke's leg off the floor, like in a leggy uchi mata, but then the throw is very handsy and in a sidewards direction.

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

14. holyheadjch

There is a couple different throws in that video - which one are we talking about?

15. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Hm, interesting.

I think I have learned that "gari" is used when you reap the leg of Uke, as in... kicking it away.
    And "gake" is used when you "grab" uke leg with your own and "pull it away" but you keep contakt with it.
    Probably isn't the best explanation, for what I mean :eek:

I could have just misunderstood that though.

16. holyheadjch

Hmm, I'd disagree with that, but it doesn't really matter - a throw is a throw, and most of the time even people like Neil Adams can't decide which it was during a match. For me, a defining characteristic of a gake is preventing ukes leg from moving by blocking it and then driving them backwards.

17. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The one you use your hand to block on your opponent's knee (or waist). You use your hand to do your leg job.

If you use your leg and throw your opponent

- backward, that will be Osoto Gari.
    - forward, that will be O Guruma.

But you are using your hand instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTpw2IHy5dE&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  18. holyheadjch

I don't think it has a formal name. It's certainly not in the gokyo. Te gake might be accurate (hand hook/block)