HarryF's Log: Posturing Up

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by HarryF, Jul 11, 2013.

1. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Sun 30.3.14 pt 2

2 hours kali - focus on rhythmicity and control in footwork, took the hourglass footwork pattern (6 beats) and paired it with redando 6 heaven (also 6 beats, easy hands so it's not too hard, but not just run of the mill sinawali), and focused on the regularity of steps (including the two diagonal foot to foot steps which have a half beat in them), and emphasised the stick hit on each foot 'beat'.

This is an example of one of the great crossovers between music, dancing and fighting - they're all about rhythm, timing, distancing (volume) and positioning (harmony vs discord) etc.

After establishing a regular foot rhythm (to a steady beat of sticks) we started missing beats (hits) on purpose, in order to practice our internal metronomes (counting without the aid of a stick hit).

It's good to do this to music, but we train in a car park on an industrial estate and I forgot my ghetto blaster, so I sang Metallica's Nothing Else Matters (which is in 6/8 of course) to illustrate the point. :D

After messing with missing beats we worked on a coupe of the applications of the footwork which, when going forwards, is a side evasion then leg sweep type thing with your centre of mass displacing theirs, and when going backwards an angular long range evasion followed by a 120 degree change of direction to avoid the natural 'second strike' AND be in range to counter.

I realise this probably doesn't make much sense, but it helps me clarify, for myself, (and remember) what I've taught...

Mon 31.1.14

2 mile nice walk in the park with the Better Half :)

A while ago I signed up for one of the Tough Mudders which will be in August this year. I've not done any specific training for it other than the things I've logged here. The main thing I've been doing is purposefully exposing myself to mild (extended duration) and moderate (short duration) pain and discomfort to fortify my resolve. This is usually temperature related (no jumper on a cold day), or opportunistic (keep going when your hand gets hit by a stick in kali), but the weighed walks have also been doing their part, like today's:

3.2 mile weighed walk (20kg split across 2 backpacks), 39 minutes

The hardest part (other than getting off the comfy sofa to do it) was that this was in two sections where after 2.1 miles I pass my front door (temptation to quit) and have to carry on for another 0.5 miles uphill (temptation to turn around) before a blissful 0.6 miles down a gentle slope back home. Today's I did without music too, extra points for even less motivation and extra silliness.

I could probably get a similar 'strengthening the willpower' effect from holding my hand over a flame or similar controlled self harm, but weighed walks don't seem quite so destructive and do conditioning too, so there we are. In fact if I want to further remove the gratification/satisfaction from this activity then I should stop logging them here too. Not sure I'm ready for that yet.

2. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Mon 1.4.14

531 c5.A.1

New cycle, new rules:
    1) increase squat training max by 5kg each cycle (previously 7.5 in order to bring back squat up to par with front squat, now done)
    2) DON'T try for a repmax pr on every final set (done this up to now, but it's starting to take its toll)
    3) aim for 5-7 reps in the final set of the '5' day, aim for 2-3 reps in the final set of the '531' day, bash out a repmax pr on the final set of the '3' day
    4) it's ok to break rule 3, but not all the time
    5) it's ok to do a few heavier doubles after the 'final' set

This is in an aim to have a few easier workouts (Park Bench for all you Dan John-ites!) As well as keep progressing within the 531 framework. Or something like that...

Waffle over

KB warm up - 10 swings, 10 clean +press, 10 snatch, 10 goblet squats, 10 rows, 10 offset RDLs, twice, 10 high windmills

Paused = p
    Squat - 1x5@40p, 1x5@50p, 1x5@65p, 1x5@75, 1x7@85, 1x2@95, 1x2@105, 1x2@110
    I noticed some slight inward knee movement on the last set, but only the right knee. Probably means I need to work on my technique, maybe squat with a band around my knees for the lighter sets?

Pull ups, between other stuff - 6x5, 4x4, alternate grip each set
    Moar pull ups! Maybe I'll try sets of 6 next time :D

Bench - 1x5@bar, 1x5@40p, 1x5@50p, 1x5@57.5p, 1x7@65p

Kroc rows - 1x10@26, 1x15@36, 1x12@36 (extra pull ups take their toll)

Tabata front squats - 1@40kg, managed to remember reps again: 8,7,7,6,7,6,6,7

2 mile walk with the Better Half, no weight

3. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Weds 3.4.14 (last entry should have been 'Tues' not 'Mon')

1.5 hrs kali
    Bit of prep for this weekend when one of my mates is coming down for a weekend of training and eating - he's a bit of a kali beast (he's that guy I mentioned to you SoKKlab - I'll ask him about that thing too) so I'm hoping we can work a load of stuff out together :D

Training was more 'application of principles and movements' (which it all is really), especially geared towards that question of "why train sticks?" - take a 6 count double stick pattern (this time, from open chamber, right stick - high forehand, low backhand, high backhand, left stick - high forehand, low backhand, high backhand) drill it with some footwork variations, then apply to knife (inside scoop, elbow check and controlling eye/face forearm strike), empty hand at long, medium and short ranges (all subtlety different). Then go back to double stick and blast it out at full tilt. Fun

We then did a bit of messing around, using a hubad framework, and how to deal with things when things don't go to plan, which is most of the time ;)

Nothing on Thursday (other than a bit of relaxed stretching and usual tummy vacuums in the car), had to work late, boo.

4. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Fri 4.4.14

531 c6.B.1

shoulder dislocations with band, then light bar; hip flexor mobility (mountain climbers etc), KB warm up, then messing with the bar (clean grip power snatch, and clean grip OH squats)
    Proper stuff:

Press - 1x5@bar, 1x3@30, 1x5@37.5, 1x5@42.5, 1x6@50 (repmax pr, probably could have ground out one more)

Deadz - 1x3@60 (double paused), 1x3@80 (fast from here), 1x5@95, 1x5@110, 1x8@122.5 (no repmax pr according to the formula, but more reps than last time I lifted this weight; felt easy, could have done at least 2 more)

Dips, I think my form had been crumbling with the 10kg extra (shoulders shrug up to ears rather than chest/torso staying tight; not gripping the bars properly and getting tingling down my right arm (brachial plexus irritation?)), so dropped the extra weight for the first few sets - 3x7@bw, 2x7@bw+5kg (form much better, no tingling weirdness)
    Straight arm dips, same loading as full ROM - 3x10, 2x10
    Front squats, sadly the gym was quite busy so I didn't have the space to video these - 1x8@45, 1x6@55, 1x5@65, 1x4@75, 1x2@85

1 arm DB bench, keep that core tight! - 4x8@22kg DB
    DB Farmer's walk, mind over matter - 4x30m @2x40kg DBs

I had intended to do 20m walks, but I completed the second length of the gym and felt there was more so went for it! Also, the 40s are the largest DBs in the gym, how do I do heavier carries from here on? Just go further/more sets with the 40s? Find a hill to walk up? Unilateral variations?

Kroc rows, grip was a bit a bit borked (nice word Fishy ;)) from the loaded carries - 1x25@32
    Cheat barbell curls, bar only, sadly the rack was not available :( 15-30s rest between sets - 20,15,10,10,11,12,12,11. Yep, 101 curls... Because... I dunno really, because Friday? Yeah...

Stretch off, done :)

Picked up my mate from the train station, we went for a couple of "light refreshments" before heading back for chilli and tea before sleep o'clock; the plan is to do massive amounts of kali this weekend! Awesome-o

5. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Saturday 5.4.14 and Sunday 6.4.14

About 10 hours total kali with my buddy who was down for the weekend, plus an hour 'facetime' (Apple's version of skype?) with our instructor, going over a few finer points of the new version of the syllabus (including changed emphases) before going back in to the garden to beat each other up a bit more :D

An excellent time was had by all.

Mon 7.4.14

Rest, yoga, foam roll

Tues 8.4.14

531 c6.A.2

Barbell warm up:
    Hang power snatch, OH squat, good morning, row; a round of 8 reps each bar only, 5 reps each 30kg, 5 reps each 40kg (starting to feel dangerously like the warm up is the workout...)

Dynamic hip flexor stretch, shoulder dislocations, thoracic extention stuff

p = paused for 2-3 seconds, f = only paused momentarily

Squat (low bar) - 1x3@50p, 1x3@60p, 1x3@70p, 1x3@80f, 1x11@90f (massive (9kg) repmax pr :woo:)
    Pull ups, between squat sets, pronated grip one set, then supinated grip the next - 6 (hooray!), 6, 4+1 (got carried away, not enough rest pre-set), 5, 4,4
    Bench, still don't like it - 1x5@bar, 1x3@40p, 1x3@55p, 1x3@62.5p, 1x1@75f, 1x8@70 (FAILED 9th rep in a controlled manner, rolled down chest etc, bruised ego, nowt else)
    Kroc rows - 1x10@26, 2x26@34 (current aim is for 30+ with the 34s)
    Band pulls, pilates rubber band - many x palms up front pull, 'no money's, face pull to external rotation, pull downs and BTN pull downs, also shoulder dislocations, but with constant tension in the band (for stability) rather than being in the stretch range of motion.

Later:
    2 hours kali with regular training partner - going over some of altered emphases of the beginning levels of the syllabus. This is really excellent, I need to expand my training group. We did empty hand v knife and empty hand v empty hand tonight, the alterations really emphasise positioning and counter-pressure BEFORE introducing disarms/fancy takedowns.
    It makes it more "practical (physical) self defence" based (at least in the beginning levels), which is great, but it leads to there being a higher probability of breaking your training partner. We need to think about what gear (head gear in particular) we can utilise...

Tomorrow - moar kali!

6. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Wed 9.4.14

1.5 hrs kali - double and single stick, working on the first few levels worth of material, getting sidetracked in to 'interesting' rhythms (11/8 for you musicians) mixing cabca (open chamber) drills with half a sinawali to switch sides... The point being to improve timing in order to "fill the half beat" more effectively.
    A bit of padded stick play at the end, trying to work on dealing with being in a bad situation, and applying a bit more pressure in the defend-counter-follow up-control-disarm sequence.

Right, bed time if I'm to lift successfully tomorrow :)

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Thu 10.4.14

Crap sleep, food, and attitude make for a crap lifting session. Note to self, when a plot line in The Archers makes you tearful, so something intrinsic rather than extrinsic...

Was meant to do 531 dead/press workout, but I got half way through the warm up and decided to change things:

Press, from power clean - 1x3@bar, 1x3@30, 1x3@40, 1x3@45, 1x3@52.5 (4th fail)
    Push press, from power clean - 1x5@50, 1x3@60, 1,fail,1@65
    Power clean - 2x5@60 (no time for 3rd set)
    Front squat - 1x8@45, 1x6@55, 1x6@65, 1x4@75 (no time for last set)

Very meh.

Sun 13.4.14

Felt better today, warm up with the bar (inc clean grip snatch and OH squat :D)

531 c6.B.2

Press - 1x3@30, 1x3@40, 1x3@45, 1x5@52.5 (repmax pr, 3 were dead stop, 1 wad touch and go, 1 had a fair amount of swayback)
    Deadz - 1x3@60dp, 1x3@80dp, 1x3@102.5 (fast), 1x3@115, 1x8@130 (repmax pr, grind the last two!)

Dip - 5x7 +5kg
    Straight arm dip - 5x10 +5kg
    Split squat - 1x10@bar (overhead), 1x10@30 OH, 1x10@40 (front squat rack), 1x10@45 (ditto), 1x10@50 (ditto)

One arm, loose form dumbell row (on threat of being branded a "nutrider") - 1x10@26, 1x34@34

One arm overhead db carry (waiter walk) - 1x30m@26kg (too heavy for now)
    DB Farmer carry - 4x20m@40kg DBs, 30s rest between rounds.

Sunday roast after, snooze in the sofa imminent :)

8. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Oooo, butt doms from split squats... No sympathy massage from the Better Half yet... (she says it's all my own fault)

Mon 14.4.14 the joyous palindromic way of writing the date, although no one in the office saw the significance of 14 minutes past 2pm today :(

Kali tonight - was meant to be 1.5 hours, we overran to 2h15 or so :D

A new guy turned up to my group tonight, he's never done kali before, but has done lots of boxing, kickboxing, MT, K1 and TKD, so he's not really a beginner. He moves pretty well, posture is OK (I'm becoming a stickler for structure!) and he listens and thinks, so picks it up quickly :)

We did a bit of double stick - open chamber ("cabca") patterns 1 and 2, then sinawali 4 heaven (all high targets), then put them together (cabca 1, sinawali 4, cabca 2, sinawali 4, repeat) to practice some coordination and control of chambering...

Moved on to empty hand, starting with some direct applications of the double stick drills we just did to jab-cross feed (left hand scoop the jab, followed by inside gunting the cross, RH back hand, LH cross - which is EXACTLY the second half of cabca 2 followed by sinawali 4, from right template (of course))

Then messed around with some very basic hubad, trying to time the empty hand sinawali 4 in to the rhythm of level 1 hubad.

Level 1 hubad is the stuff you often see in uchoobz videos that is labelled 'this is hubad' (RH chop, [LH block, RH carry from underneath, LH trap elbow (even this is often done sub-optimally), RH chop], his turn). No, that is Level 1 hubad, there are multiple levels that build on the same idea... Oh well, if uchoobz was always right I wouldn't have much to bitch about!

We did a bit on ideas about SD - awareness, verbal de-escalation, escape and defensive looking offensive postures (not much, but I want to bring more in to my curriculum).

Then we started on some super basic knife v empty hand, basic targeting, where to protect the most, basic blocking (soft but rigid / hard but sensitive / contradiction but contradiction) and mid range footwork. Then use Level 1 hubad to move to the outside (if you start on the inside), to elbow control/return strikes, then to knife hand control and return stabs (why are you stabbing yourself, stop stabbing yourself, stop stabbing yourself)

We also explored the idea of introducing a little resistance, but as he started to miss out steps and allow gaps in his structure I turned the heat back down so we could get good quality reps in with low/zero pressure.

It was good, he asked intelligent questions (suggesting he had listened to the previous answers) and picked things up quickly. Hopefully I'll get a few more new people like this in the months to come and I'll make my group a bit more sizeable :D

9. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Tue 15.4.14

Rest! I was meant to go to a new Medieval Combat martial arts class (HEMA of some sort), but spent the evening with the Better Half and the kitties instead - I'll give it a try next week. "Self defence with a broadsword" haha, I suppose carrying a broadsword is probably quite effective 'target hardening'...

Weds 16.4.14

531 c6.A.3 (cycle 6, workout A (squat/bench), '5/3/1+' round)

The gym was busy, so I had to get in quick to use the rack
    Short warm up by usual waving a kettlebell around

Squat - 1x5@60p, 1x5@75p, 1x3@85p, 1x5@95f (felt pretty easy)

Pull ups - 6,6,5,5,4,4 alternating grip each set, these felt easy too

Bench - 1x5@50p, 1x5@57.5p, 1x3@65p, 1x3@72.5f (also pretty easy)

Band pulls, doubled up pilates band - about 5x10 in various positions, suck the stomach in and stand 'strictly' (rather than 'anyhow') for supershoulders and anti-wing scapulae

Power clean, probably crappy technique - 1x5@50, 1x5@60, 1x5@65

Plank, ooo it's been a while - 45s one arm raised + 15s front each side, then 45s front.

Overall, a nice and relatively easy workout, despite upping the weights moved :D

The real dilemma is that the gym will be shut for 4 days over the weekend, so do I dead/press tomorrow (only one night to recover), or do I wait until Tuesday (losing mah gainzzz bro!)? I think I'll wait to see how I feel tomorrow ;)

Later - 1.5 hrs kali with regular training partner.
    He had tweaked his mid back a couple of days ago, so we kept it light and technical rather than basic and pressurised.

Working on: precision and timing in footwork with double stick drills as a distraction for the mind; 'the 5 hourglasses' map of angular foot positions that always follow you around; and keeping light (on the balls of the feet) so you can change direction more easily.

After frying his brain with footwork we then looked into a couple of silly double stick things (these fall very much in to the 'art' side of martial art, or, if you were to look on it more kindly, it could be a coordination attribute development drill). Anyhoo, you take standard 6 sinawali, and replace hits 1 and 4 with a triple abanico (following so far?), then do the same to 2 and 5, then 3 and 6, then all 6 hits.
    After that, you add an extra hit with the other stick, from the other side (i.e. main stick hits from the left, second hits from the right), at the other height (i.e. main stick hits high, second hits low), during the second abanico strike. Sound confusing? My instructor calls it 'abanico goofy', and for a good reason...

Back to the basic pattern with free footwork at the end (surprising how what once was complicated is now simple), it's great to see the regularity of his strikes really coming on (like a metronome), meaning that the fluidity will be there at higher speeds.

I could get in to this teaching thing...:eek:

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

"so do I dead/press tomorrow (only one night to recover), or do I wait until Tuesday (losing mah gainzzz bro!)? I think I'll wait to see how I feel tomorrow"

power clean and push press heavy ALL DAY!

then rest 4 days :D

11. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

But I power cleaned yesterday!
    Anyway, I felt pretty great today, so did dead/press :woo:

Thurs 17.4.14
    531 c6.B.3

Usual barbell complex warm up

Press - 1x5@bar, 1x3@30, 1x5@42.5, 1x3@50, 1x3@55 (weight, rep and repmax pr!)

Deadlift - 1x3@70 (double paused), 1x3@90 (fast), 1x5@110, 1x3@122.5 (DOH - grip pr), 1x3@137.5.
    Felt strong, carried on: 1x2@145, 1x2@152.5 (12.5kg weight pr! Hulk smash!)

I noticed that my form was a little crumbly on the pr set, with the sticking point being just below the knees (little bit of back rounding); no problems off the floor or at lock out, no pain, just a bit of rounding below the knee. Hmm, keep on carrying on I guess!

I did some assistance stuff (dips, split squats, farmer carries, front to back squats), but none of it really matters with a 5 pr workout!

A couple of lads in the gym (who I had previously given front squat tips to, and were both squatting deeper and heavier) asked for a couple of deadlift tips - I went for using warm up sets properly (working up through weight, they were just doing 5x6 at working weight), lifting fast after taking the slack out of the bar at lower weight (props to Icefield), and squeezing "grips, guts, ****" (thanks SokKlab :)) before taking off.

I could get used to this teaching lark.

Got home, shaved my head but kept the beard.
    Pub, pint, chicken dinner, home, sofa, tea, cat, sorted.

Sprints over the weekend, I promise!

12. ned

ned Valued Member

From what I've read I think you'd be a natural ;) (there's plenty that can do but can't teach) .
    Just noticed your name's gone blue-tell me,what's it like on the other side ? :eek:

13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

man thats a big PR!

14. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Thanks mate, I'm actually contemplating a change in career - I've been doing the thing I'm currently doing for long enough to realise that there are some fairly deep moral conflicts between what I do and what I think is right. Time for change is near, and I'm trying to work out what it is that I'd actually like to do. Easy question to ask, hard to answer.

The blue name thing... Well I thought I've hung around here long enough, received some great tips about lifting and regular motivation (especially everyone in the training logs section); and have learnt a bit about martial arts I otherwise would have had little or no interest in (but now I recognise have value). It seemed like the right time to redress the balance of (previously free) social/intellectual capital with a modest amount of financial capital.

Plus: I like blue.

Thanks! :D

It's probably way too much information, but all this extra testosterone and practice at resisted hip hinging has had some great carry over to bedroom planking... ;)
    Also it was nice to see that the 'calculated' increases are somewhat supported by the actual increases!
    I get the impression that the formula ("repmax" = weight × (1 + reps/30)) becomes less accurate as reps increase (probably over 8-10 or so), and there's a whole world of difference between 8 easy reps and a set of 8 where the last 3 or 4 are really ground out... It's similar to what you say about 'owning' a weight - being able to do 3x5, 3x6, 3x7, then adding to the bar :)

I think for the next few cycles I'm going to swap low bar back squats to front squats - with back squats I'm noticing a trend towards 'forward head' and forward pelvic tilt, both of which a) undermine my postural goals and b) are NOT encouraged when front squatting properly. So although the numbers will go down a little, I'll switch back to heavy front squats for my "531 squat" lift for at least 3 or 4 cycles, keep front split squats for assistance on deadlift days, and alternate Zerchers, front to back, and front squat tabata as finishers.

I am going to keep bench pressing in there until I can do 1xBW for reps, then maybe swap bench for power cleans or power snatch with uneven DB bench as push/core assistance.

Simple but complicated :D

Fri 18.4.14

Rest day. Crap sleep (6.5 hrs) but good eatings. Plenty of walking in the day with the Better Half, foam rolling/baseball in the QL/spinal erectors and stretching in the evening.

Sat 19.4.14

3.2 mile walk + 20kg (double backpack - I'm so cool) before breakfast (!!!)
    After I got home and changed, it was the first time I've actually felt hungry for about 6 months... We went out for a (non greasy) fry up at our local cafe.

Kali later hopefully

15. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Sun 20.4.14

Kali - 2.5 hours (got carried away)

Double stick - mainly mid range (long end of the weapon can reach the body, but the short end (and weapon hand) can't reach the body). Covered defensive basics (mirror hand block, cross hand block, double block, mirror hand pass, cross hand pass, double pass, etc) learnt in order of "from best position"/highest percentage to "emergency back up"/better than nothing.
    Learn as "naked technique" (feed all angles in order, should be perfect technique), then three random strikes (allowing a high rate of success), then one for one ("contre e contre").
    Drill with a 50% speed feed, but allow full speed recovery (so you can get back to "good position"), then with 50% speed feed and 50% speed recovery (practice dealing with being in a "bad position").

Grab the padded sticks and turn up the pace a bit to the point of silliness, and ended up wrestling on the floor :D

Then we got side tracked in to stick grappling - messed around with stick triangles, fang chokes, biceps and calf crushers. Right on the border between fun and pain. Strange when you think about it too much.

Later - gardening and roast (we have the Future Mother in Law around to stay, she brought chocolate!) I got a free range cockerel from a farm just down the road (a massive 3kg beast) and did veggies and greens to go with it. Mm.

Even later - grippers:
    100lb: 1x3
    150lb: 1x3
    200lb: 1x3 attempts (fails), 3x3 assist, 5s hold, 5s negative
    150lb: 1x7 +10s hold

Should squeezing a gripper make me sweat so much?

Expander: keep everything solid, don't let your structure collapse as you twang the expander around. Lots of external shoulder rotation before pulling, squeeze shoulder blades together at the end of the pulls, keep your chest big and don't let your head come forwards.

Strict front pull/high back press superset - 4x5@40kg (2 strands)

Strict BTN palms out pull down/low back press - 2x7@60kg (3 strands)

More kali tomorrow evening. Only one more day to get those sprints in...

16. Mangosteen

please dont run 531 doing power cleans or power snatches.
    a little bald scottish man shakes his head in disappointment every time you mention high rep olympic lift variations.

17. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

No? Why's that then? Who's the little bald Scottish man? How many reps is high reps?

I know Rip doesn't approve, but surely any exercise to high reps has fatigue/form crumble risks. Is it just that the risk/reward is not worth it for Olympic lifts?

Ta :)

18. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Mon 21.4.14

1.5hrs Kali

Empty hand "self defence" (I put ""s because it skipped all the awareness, verbal/de-escalation, posturing etc, and got straight to the physical part :D)

Feeder wears big (16oz) boxing gloves and mountainbike shin/knee pads, receiver has MMA type gloves; feeder sends in single or occasionally multiple punches from long range (or close if they can close the distance), receiver either keeps them at bay with elbow distructions on the hand, or low line stopping kicks (side or oblique to shin/knee area). Feeder gives a 'signal' (cover up) to indicate that the receiver has made their entry, and the receiver straight blasts to close range, thumbs to the eyes in to clinch, headbut, knee elbow (or other combination of awesomeness), clear and re-set.

It takes a bit of role playing (obviously), but if done carefully/mindfully is a really awesome way to train!

We just did this for ages until neither of us could take many more knees to the thigh or elbows to the guard (even through big gloves!)

Tue 22.4.14

531 c7.A.1

This is the first cycle that I'm doing front squats in place of low bar back squats, so I started with a light training max.

KB warm up (swings, goblet squats, snatch, windmills); the 16kg bell is starting to feel light

p=paused

Front squat - 1x8@bar, 1x5@40p, 1x5@55p, 1x5@65p, 1x8@72.5 (upper back crumbles before legs feel taxed, so next time I might add in a couple of sets of Zerchers as back off/assistance)
    Pull ups - 6,6*,5,5*,4,4*; *=palms towards me. Next time will be 6,6,6,5,4,3
    Bench - 1x5@40p, 1x5@52.5p, 1x5@60p, 1x7@67.5 (this was hard, maybe because of less rest between sets, maybe because front squats tax the upper body more than back... Dunno)
    Band pulls - with the pilates band, 5x10 in a bunch of different ways (external and internal rotation, palms up front pulls at different angles etc)
    Chest supported rear delt flyes - 5x10 with super light DBs and a 10s static hold at the top of the last rep of each set
    Upward cable chop - 4x10es @"35kg" (there is a 2x mechanical advantage on the cable machine)
    Face pulls - 3x10@"30kg"

Pretty easy overall (except bench - boo)

Home, food, then went out to watch the Raid 2 ;)

19. Mangosteen

i think wendler himself has mentioned that using front squats during 531 loads the upper back (which fatigues first) more than the legs and doesnt get a great training stimulus to the legs.

plenty of olympic lifting coaches advocate 3 to 5 reps of front squats for this reason (check out pendlay, greg everet and even kirksmans teo writing about his own coach)

20. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Yeah, you make a good point...

So - new plan!

Stick with the back squats as 531 main movement for leg stimulus, shove front squats after back squats (on workout A) to help combat forward pelvic tilt/forward head.
    Use Dan John-ised 531 weight/rep scheme for fronts, but with no maxrep sets (so 3x5 at 65%, 75%, 85%; 3x3 @70%, 80%, 90%, 5/3/2@75%, 85%, 95%).

In that vein, I got a super quick workout in today to catch up with what I should have done yesterday:

Wed 23.4.14

p=paused
    Squat - 1x8@bar, 1x5@40p, 1x5@50p, 1x5@67.5p, 1x5@80, 1x15@90 (take that legs!)

Done.

Later - 1hr kali, sword and shield (alu training sword and old stick held in reverse grip for small shield) for St George's day, various sumbrada variations (a scripted, one-for-one type drill), then free 'one for one' game (contre-e-contre), focus on:
    1) defend with shield, attack with sword (duh)
    2) defend with sword, attack with shield (ooo)
    3) defend and attack with sword (kind of long range)
    4) defend and attack with shield (kind of short range)
    Only a slight descent in to silliness today

Fun!

I also found this awesome side bend/QL stretch that has made my breathing so much freer... Lovely.

Dead/press and maybe yoga tomorrow