The Technique Thread

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i hope one day i can move half as well and be as strong!

in the chinese wrestling ruleset - is dropping your opponent a common strategy?
    in certain competition rules (for BJJ and other types of wrestling) you get told not to drop your opponent but the land him on his back.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It might not be obvious but there is a block being applied by my good self - I have him waistlocked and driven; that is one reason why he is pointing out the importance of the stiff arm. A scissor is not as easy to pull off with the lockdown so he uses that DWL instead.

This is a good way to catch out a lot of BJJ players because the kimura/bump/guillotine/scissor combo from here is very common and this introduces a different dimension

3. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Awesome, awesome video mam. Man, I really like this video, I haven't see many people explain this quite as clearly as you do. Could you explain why when you hit you chose to have your palm facing you rather then palm facing down, if that makes any sense?

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

There isn't a right or wrong here. Some will teach it one way, some another.

For me having the palm face me reduces the risk of turning the wrist on impact and injuring yourself.

5. Ninja_Lee

Ninja_Lee Valued Member

That's why I respect this thread, most forums wouldn't get passed the first three pages without fighting.

I prefer the same method of throwing hooks to the body. I teach it this way first too, because I like the bone alignment, and it makes sure that you punch with your feet and body.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I'm guessing the turn into turtle is also a wrestling thing (getting off your back)?

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

In Chinese wrestling, the most brutally technique is the "head dropping". If you drop your opponent

- in front of you, it's called to get off bus from the front door.
    - behind of you, it's called to get off bus from the back door.

You can't drop your opponent in "sport". It can end with group fist fight after the "sport". In Chinese wrestling, you have 2 different training. One used in friendly "sport" environment. One used in street situation or to deal with unfriendly challenger.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  8. Ninja_Lee

Ninja_Lee Valued Member

Here's a kickboxing combination I filmed. I love the big bag for conditioning, it also makes sure you have a solid stance.

I love throwing this sort of combination in competition.

http://youtu.be/yMkW8UsRTzA

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
  9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Precisely

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Simon, can we post technique video's from others? Or does it have to be one we film ourselves?

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The original idea was to post our own videos.

Nothing stopping you posting a video elsewhere though (general martial arts for example) and asking a question there.

12. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

you could always cheat by filming your own version and then post someone else's video as a further example though :p

*runs and hides*

13. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Lol- no way! I am extremely camera shy! Hid from pictures being taken at my niece's 2 year b-day party. No one would know I was there from the pictures taken.

After hiding for years from video's made for my school and posted on their site and youtube site. They managed to get me in one for a couple of seconds. My teacher laughed because she knew how hard I had avoided being in one. (And because she is the same way and I always gleefully pointed out when she was in one.)

I'll just stick to watching and reading here.

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

well, you could always wear a mask :p

15. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

^^^Actually, Seventh did just that in some thread a while back.

16. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Thanks for posting Lee. I particularly like the way that you keep your guard up during the round-house. To many videos show people letting the arm rotate back as the kick comes in.

Sound advice on going slow in learning. Technique first and speed and power will follow.

17. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

An excellent example of what I was on about above. See how the green cloves counter-rotates his arm most times he throws a roundhouse kick. Not a good habit.

Clip below originally posted by Unreal Combat in Thai boxing "I competed in another interclub"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub7a1u491xs#t=219[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  18. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Even professional Thai fighters do that sometimes.

2.21 in this video as an example...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42_wg7ntHHk]12 Coins[/ame]

I think it's something that's easier to say, and do on pads and bags, than it is in a live environment (especially at novice and amateur levels). It is certainly something to be wary of though. I've made the mistake of letting the hand opposite to my kicking leg wander on a few occasions when reaching for a long kick.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
  19. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Hang on, are you talking about his arm on the side he's kicking with (right in this case) or the other one?

20. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

He's talking about the arm opposite to the kicking leg.