Should i run?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kframe, Mar 28, 2014.

1. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Mahooosive congrats on the weight loss so far buddy :D and a mahooosive +1 to swimming over running.

To be honest, when you start swimming I'd probably pick breast stroke (for me, it's the easier form of swimming you can do that works your whole body while allowing you to see where you're going and isn't as taxing as front crawl or the other methods of stroking). As for distance, it really is about what you can manage that pushes you without hurting you or feeling like you're gonna give up. Some people only do 10 lengths, I've seen others do 60+ (usually only the semi-competitive types do that though).

Just turn up at the pool during a public swim hour and do whatever you feel you can manage. Literally any form of swimming is better than doing none :)

2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I recall Forrest Gump running a lot, I wonder how his knees are holding up while he was on that ship with the gun to his head? I think he traded his boat Jenny for that big tanker maybe?

3. Saved_in_Blood

This is true and I forgot to mention it... takes a lot to lose that kind of weight. I lost 50 lbs years ago, keeping my weight right where it is now is my only goal.

4. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Thanks for the thoughts guys. It is incredibly hard to do this naturally. I screw up a lot but im crawling my way to the goal line.

I am going to take your guys advice and try swimming and increase my biking. The pool at the Y says it takes 70+ (cant remember the exact total) to get 1 mile.

I just know how important running is to combat performance and if the hammer drops I need my endurance to be great.

Thanks for the heads up on the supplement. Ill give it a try and see what happens.

The yoga is coming along. I think in a few weeks I can move up to the hour long power yoga dvd.

5. Saved_in_Blood

yeah, but 1 mile of swimming is equivalent to a whole lot more than a mile of running or biking. Swimming actually burns more calories than any other exercise out there IIRC.

Also... does it hurt your knee to do a faster paced walk? You'd be surprised how taxing that can be to you when you do it.

6. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I have been trying to pinpoint my knee pain. Right now, its a specific spot and a specific circumstance.

If I do one legged squats(as low as I can go, which aint much) it will hurt if that Is the knee being used for weight support.

The actual pain it self is not in the knee, but on the side of the knee, the side facing away(facing left, as it is my left knee). So knowing that, I don't think its a joint issue but maybe a tendon issue.

Regarding swimming and caloric burn, I read that 1 hour of biking at 20mph(stationary) burns over 1000 calories, and that 1 hour of vigorous swimming does 700calories.

I would think you are correct that swimming burns more because of the whole body workout.

7. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

Kframe, you might have tendinitis of the knee. It's tennis elbow, but in the knee. This is caused by inflamed tendons. Stretching, strength training, and rehab are the best cures for tendinitis, if you have tendinitis. It could be the miniscus because it has a hard time getting adequate blood for healing, but I think that is usually the case on the inside of the knee.

8. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

It sounds like your IT band. It's a common runner's problem. But if it's causing you problems you should get it checked out by a professional. I have the same problem.

What exercise burns the most calories will depend on what statistics you read. No two answers are the same. I don't think swimming is considered the best for burning calories. It is considered one of the best exercises to do as it is a "body work out" (running is a bit more leg-centric) and low impact.

You usually see running, skipping (jumping rope) and cross country skiing at the top of list.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  9. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I did infact talk to a doctor. He said, that I have a kneecap injury. That because I used poor form on the leg press, I injured some tissue in/under the kneecap. He has me on some excercises and Mobic. IF it isn't better by may 5th I will be getting a MRI and possibly a surgery to repair it..

Untill I know for sure I am riding my stationary bike.