My martial art doesn't have belts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Clover, Apr 13, 2014.

1. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

No belts was how they did it in the old days. Ranking in the belt system is a fairly modern thing. In Japan the prior ranking system in a martial arts school was the Menkyo system, and belts weren't used to designate rank. So that alone won't mean anything, it also doesn't mean the school is any good. I've known schools that only did white belt, and then after years you got a black belt. This isn't uncommon. Whether there are belts or not in a class, always use a bit of caution and common sense when investigation a new dojo.

2. Vieux Normand

Vieux Normand Valued Member

Where I trained Judo in Tohoku, coloured belts were only for children. Adults stayed white-belt until Shodan.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

New doesn't necessarily mean bad

4. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

The big, big schools are more common in china, and interestingly some don't even have a way of dividing their students ~ other then certificates.

http://www.chinese-kungfu.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/U370P886T1D8862F12DT20120223104049.jpg

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

6. Clover

Clover New Member

thanks for the advice it is not an expensive school and no it is not the one in america it would be one heck of a commute as I am based in the UK. It is a newly opened class I think I suppose it makes it less intimidating not knowing what other people are.