Ninjutsu or Krav Maga

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TheDarkLord84, Jun 12, 2012.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It wouldn't particularly, no.

2. Vieux Normand

Vieux Normand Valued Member

I'll be sure to give your advice all the consideration it is due.

Besides, Owlie, I was on BSD long before you were, doing the bannable for years whilst not getting banned. If there are even more crybabies here than are present in the current manifestation of BSD, then I can always move on. No loss to me. So far, not too many crybabies here.

Have a nice day, Owlie.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Not many "crybabies" just an agreement to abide by the rules as they stand - some rules I agree with and some I don't, but it's not my sandbox; I'm just allowed to play in it

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Is it bad that I read BSD and automatically think the poster meant to say BDSM?

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm not especially interested in digging into this Bullshido thing. Not my affair. But I am interested in the ToS. As Hannibal says, any one of us may or may not agree with every condition of them. But we will all be held accountable to them regardless.

6. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

If you've been doing kickboxing a long time, I understand wanting to try a new art, but you won't find a more practical SD art then what you are already doing IMO. How about giving BJJ a try? I know you're not looking for combat sports, but there are multiple ways you could apply it. Just a suggestion. I know nothing about Ninjutsu honestly, so I can't comment on that one, but I would think KM would seem to suit you better from what others have told me about it.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

This is a general point VN, not aimed at you as such, just using your post as a jumping off point :)

For me it's less about language and more about intent, though the language rule is enforced for sure.

There's nothing wrong with telling someone they're wrong, in fact it's to be encouraged and should be helpful to that person in the long run.

But that's the point. To do it in a manner that will help that person not further entrench their position or deliberately antagonise them.

The language rule is an attempt to encourage that in some ways. Rather than calling someone something rude, it'd be great if we could explain, calmly and rationally, why they are wrong, without attacking them as a person. The result might be a positive exchange all round.

Even if the individual concerned pays no heed, others reading the exchange will more likely be influenced by reason and explanation than bickering and name-calling.

The ToS is a blunt instrument but the intention is clear, as is the intention of MAP. :)

Mitch

8. Vieux Normand

Point taken; however, discussing the calm-and-rational versus informing someone that he's engaged in verbal proctology is a false dichotomy. One can very calmly and rationally tell someone just that. Whether the recipient's feelings are hurt by this will depend upon how calm and rational he is.

9. Saved_in_Blood

I would like to calmly state that I am not rational at all.

10. Vieux Normand

However, the best way to scream anything is to do so calmly.

11. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Where has this thread gone?!

12. Saved_in_Blood

to the calm side

13. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

The OP is quite old, but the thread is still in use, so I'm going to throw in my two cents on the discussion because it may be of use to others.

I've trained in other martial arts, but primarily in Karate and now in Bujinkan. I've had several teachers in Bujinkan, and so that I don't get nailed on specifics, 4 Bujinkan teachers. I've also been to many seminars, that I can't put a number to, it really is too many to count/remember. I've been in Bujinkan since 1999.

It is really sad that Hatsumi hasn't had better quality control over the organization. There are a lot of really crappy Bujinkan schools out there, and many that may not even know they are crappy. Heck, they may all believe they are super awesome. Also, to compare Bujinkan to Krav Maga is hard because they are so very different.

I've heard some say that Krav is not great because 1. the quality issues already mentioned about Krav, but that is also an issue with Bujinkan too. 2.they teach an all or nothing approach. Meaning you beat the person as badly as possible. In many cases this is fine, but you will always have to deal with the moral and legal repercussions afterwards. I know of stories of Krav guys using what they learned and really beating up a person without thinking of context and they get in trouble with the law. What do I mean by this?

Think of being at a bar and a friend throws a punch at you. This could be for many reasons, we all know how these things can go. He is a friend, but for some reason is hitting you in the face. The Krav approach is to respond quickly and decisively, sending him to the hospital. If you are in a good Bujinkan school, you will learn different levels of defense so you can react to the situation at hand correctly. But you have to find a good school. Also, in Bujinkan you learn cool weapons :)

Some of the better Bujinkan schools will train to adapt to other kinds of attacks. Hatsumi has said this is important to do, but so few actually do this. In the group I teach, we use MMA gloves occasionally, and several students are from other martial arts. I have had a couple black belts in karate and TKD, an ex-marine, someone who trained in Muy Tai, and a BJJ guy. Often I ask them to pick any attack they want to use, and I show a Bujinkan way to deal with it and how to do so. Then we train that. I also teach more than just the Tsuki (often called the Buj. lunge punch). There is a place for the Tsuki in training and to understand it's use in historical contexts, but knowing how to strike in other manners is good too, especially so that we can train against other types of strikes and have those strikes we are defending against be good ones.

So, find out if your Bujinkan school near you will do any of this kind of stuff, or if they only do tsuki and don't pressure train with gloves and pads, and don't do any makiwara/ryu tai undo conditioning (which I also teach). If not, you might be better suited to another martial art that has quality instructors, it doesn't have to be Krav either though. If there was better quality control in the Bujinkan, this wouldn't be an issue, but this is just the way it is.

14. Saved_in_Blood

I don't believe that you instantly respond with these superman KM moves... it takes YEARS for a response like that to be drilled into you IMO. There is one thing that you also missed, which is called self control. I had to exhibit that just the other day and while I'm 35 and supposed to be more mature.. kids staring at me like they are some hard hood rats really bother me because once you have been into an MA you understand that neither you, nor they know exactly what you may be getting into. They don't know that I just got back from my kickboxing class, having kicks and punches thrown at me by someone with over 20 total years of MA experience. Maybe one of them just got out of a BJJ class, wrestling class, boxing, etc etc. I just have enough self control where though it sucks to not just say something, I'm not in jail right not for attempted manslaughter, assault, etc etc.

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Wow. This thread has just seem more action in the last few months than it saw back in 2012 ... :) Amazing what a little threadromancy can do.