Oxford this Sunday?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by robertmap, Apr 10, 2014.

1. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

I'm going to be a spectator (along with possibly a couple of my students) at Sunday's 26th Festival Of Chinese Martial Arts and British Open Tai Chi Championships in Oxford...

Anyone going to be there? ... if so look me up and say 'hi'.

2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

WHOOPS thread title should be OXFORD not Oxcford...

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Sorted for you! :)

4. ned

ned Valued Member

Will see you there (we met at last year's mapmeet)
    I'd like to hear about the water boxing you learnt on your recent trip to China ! :hat:

5. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Met Ned - and various other friends old and new - if only my memory for names was better...

Bored everyone I met with my tales of Liu He Ba Fa - but hope that some of them may be interested in joining with me to form a study group...

Saw some very good martial arts and some not so good - but then I am very opinionated when it comes to both empty hand and weapons forms - and let's not even go near the subject of push hands.

Next year will get some of my students to compete (will use bribery, threats of violence, chocolate - whatever - to get them there) and will enter the competition myself - realised I've never been in a Tai Chi competition...

Then went to see my daughter and her 'fella' and we all went out for a great meal. (great in taste and in quantity)....

An excellent day :)

6. ned

ned Valued Member

This was the 26th festival of chinese martial arts and British tai chi Open championship
    organised by Dan Docherty's Practical taichichuan organisation(wudang).
    As Robertmap says,mainly hand/weapons forms and fixed/moving push hands,in recent years also full contact/kuoshu.
    My daughter repeated her success of last year and won both junior events,meanwhile I
    got beaten by a point on the last hand(by the eventual winner)in fixed ph.I'll put the clip up if I can get hold of it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5-GeMxa8w4"]Ruby Pierce,26th festival of CMA,Oxford 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP7x6v7KIv8"]Ruby Pierce,26th festival if CMA,Oxford 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Ruby - or 'Princess Leia' as I teased her, NOT when she was holding her sword!!! -did very well indeed - CONGRATS.

Of course as a spectator I saw ALL the mistakes OTHER people make - next year if I compete (as I intend to) then others can see me make SHED LOADS of mistakes (or variations in style as I like to think of them). :)

8. embra

embra Valued Member