I can't do crunches =-\

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by L3vity, Nov 12, 2007.

1. L3vity

L3vity Resident poet

So this seems elementary to me, but I can't seem to do crunches correctly. Like, I could do 500 of them if I wanted, but when I do, all the stress is in my neck and upper chest, which I know is incorrect. The thing is, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to move that stress to my abs. Anybody wanna help me out?

:)

2. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

are your hands behind your neck by any chance?

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Lie flat with knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Try to press your lower back into the floor while simultaneously looking straight upwards at the same point on the ceiling. Cross your arms across your chest. Voila - a good crunch :)

4. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

Try and make your floater ribs touch your pelvis. ;) That should do it.

5. Bagpussfan

Bagpussfan Valued Member

I find them hard as well- like someone is taking a crowbar to my lumber region. I don't know why, 'cos it doesn't happen when doing situps with someone on my feet. I do maybe 15 and have to stop!

6. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

If I remember this can somtimes be caused by an anteroir pelvic tilt and an overactive muscle group somewhere...

Main thing is focus on 'Rolling yourself up', taking each vertebrae of the floor and crunching.

7. Ur Anaite

Ur Anaite tabi cos only 2 toes

there are so many variations of abdominal exercises, and perhaps until particular parts of you body become more balanced you should try those. Almost any movement of the torso works the Abdominals. Bridges are great, but there are many twists and leg lifts that you can use with different systems of support. Try these and after a year try crunches again. Problem Solvered.

8. Tanglang1989

Tanglang1989 Valued Member

One thing I have noticed, as I have the same problem, is not doing them at all. Simple. You don't need to do the conventional crunches: the bicycle crunch is good, and so is the... err... I wonder what it is in English :D Anyhow, just hold your legs in a 90 degree position and REMEMBER TO USE YOUR LOWER ABS! They are VERY important in any ab-moves (help your back alot).

9. tomass911

tomass911 Valued Member

i use the weighted ab machine at the gym, forgot the name of it now. but when i do crunches i feel the burn in my lower back then when i sit up it transfers to my stomach and not sure if im doing something wrong also

10. Tanglang1989

I think you are... I don't know exactly what, but it really shouldn't feel in your back.

My mother says that it has to do with the abs (especially the lower abs) not being strong enough to support the exercise.

Also, I have read about this and found out that if the muscles are, indeed, too weak then your body will use the tendons in your hip, which pull your back muscles and cause pain. Lots of it.

11. tomass911

tomass911 Valued Member

sounds about right, my lower abs are definately weaker anyone got any advice to strengthen?

12. Tanglang1989

Aye: Put your legs in a 90 degree angle (when lying down on the ground) and then using ONLY your lower abs pull your knees toward your chest.. but only a few Cm at a time. Do many of these reps. It should help. Never do them as crunches, by the way.

13. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

To the OP;

Tuck your chin into your chest and put your hands behind your head (above your ears pointing downwards, kind of like in a diagonal position) Don't put them behind your neck. Slowly lift yourself up half way between the floor and your knees and then slowly go down. This seems to work for me and my neck and back doesn't end up sore. I do about 20 reps X 3 sets.

To Tomass911,

Try these exercises at the gym;

Bent-knee hip raise

Hanging knee raises

Russian Twist

Hope this helps.

14. JHughes

JHughes New Member

the best way i find is that if you find a bar or place where you can put your feet to release the strain of making sure your feet are firmly on the ground. Then make sure your back is straight and off the ground with your hands on your thighs, fingers pointing towards your knees. Then push your torso up curling your fingers around your knees (keeping your back straight). That is what i would call a good crunch.

15. Spenzores

Spenzores New Member

I wouldn't worry about not doing crunches I used to hammer abs all the time and get nowhere fast now Im not saying don't do ab exercises but from my own experience just do more compound moves like squats push ups as they work your core and much bigger more important muscles.

16. Blanch

Blanch Banned Banned

Theres a book called bullet proof abs by pavel tsatsouline (I think thats how its spelt) thats very good especially for exppaining the body mechanics.

17. DragonMMA

DragonMMA Boards don't hit back.

Others have given good advice, so I'd just like to say that I think everyone has a hard time with crunches when you first start out. It just takes practice and some trial and error but eventually you'll get better at doing them.

18. Fujimoru

Fujimoru Valued Member

crunches should be easy with the right form like everyone said. also I like sit ups personally because they work alot of your body and your balance.

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I have to disagree. Sit ups isolate the hips, which tie in to the lower back, which is why a lot of people complain of a sore back after doing them.

No-one really does sit ups any more and crunches are really a thing of the past.

I can't see how sit ups work your balance, as a lot of the stabilising muscles are switched off because the floor is doing the stabilising.

The same can be said of crunches.

20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I don't see the point of crunches really. There is so much evidence now that there are better, more effective and safer ways to work the ab muscles that, to me at least, crunches seem like a pointless addition to a workout.