Help please

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Shodan_Marcus, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Shodan_Marcus

Shodan_Marcus Valued Member

Seriously considering going along to my local judo club tonight ( http://hernebayjudoclub.com/the-clun/ ), trouble is having never done judo before, I emailed the club to make sure it was training as it's the Easter holidays at the moment and was told it's not a "usual" session, instead it's a monthyl randori session with other clubs coming along.

From what I can gather, this means there is no formal training, just freestyle type sessions on the mat. Is it worthwhile still going along or am I better off waiting for a normal session in the coming weeks?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Sounds like an interclub tournament. Nothing too unusual. You can go along and watch, but understand it will not be a regular class, and will likely be competitive instead :)

3. Shodan_Marcus

Sounds interesting to be honest. I am eager to start on some grappling arts and really want to start training, trouble being, they only train on a Thursday and next Thursday I am at work so will have to miss out. :(

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well there's no rush man, any other grappling arts in your area? BJJ, sambo, or maybe freestyle wrestling?

5. Shodan_Marcus

nope, very little around in my area, just the standards of Shotokan Karate, Wing Tsun, Kickboxing and TKD. Very limited in choice.

6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

So you have to miss next thursday, are thursdays usually work days or are they usually clear?

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My goodness...£15 a year membership and £2.50 a session.
    Other martial arts should take note methinks. :)

8. Shodan_Marcus

As it stands, the only guaranteed day off is a Wednesday, I have 3 out of 4 Thursdays off and 1 in 4 Tuesday (I hate shift work!)

9. Shodan_Marcus

I know, my Karate class used to be something like £20 membership and then £5 a session (for only an hour - and that was cheap), I've known some clubs charge £7-£10 a session!

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Last time I went to TKD it had gone up to £7.50 for an hour and a half and I think that's as expensive as a martial arts class can go (unless it's a private).

11. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Try London classes some time... :(

12. Shodan_Marcus

Well, considering I have no Judo training at all and do not have even the slightest of clues on basics, I am not going to waste their time by turning up tonight as I won't be able to do anything and will only annoy anyone I am paired up with.

I am going to pop along in a fortnights time and start training.

13. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Last karate club I was at was about £30 membership, £35 annual fee and prices ranging between £4 and £10 per session (sessions ranged between 45 minutes and two hours depending on grade, BB's would often go 4 times a week).

At least he would offer weekly fees where you pay one fee and train as much as you can which made it more affordable, but it was still scary fee wise.

14. Shodan_Marcus

Having just read the email again, it is described as "free practice with no formal instruction"...

15. Shodan_Marcus

Well I went, I joined in and I loved it.

16. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

I see they are members of the BJA so you will have to add membership to that as well which I believe is £38 for the 1st year and then £35 per year there after.

17. Shodan_Marcus

I was wondering about that. Thanks for the information, I assume that is for insurance etc etc.

That still isn't an issue though to be honest, generally have to have this fee for any martial art practiced.

18. Shodan_Marcus

Just looked at the BJA website, as I am 38, I won't be competing. I see they offer a recreational membership of £15 for the year ( http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/join/ )

Is that membership not ok?

19. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Yes that would do but you won't be able to grade or if you wanted to compete you wouldn't be able to do that either as it covers you for training only.

Edit

Just read your post properly! I think once you have gotten the judo bug you will want to compete at a local level and if you want to grade then you need to have at least 2 competition stamps in your licence before taking your first black belt grading.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014