My martial art doesn't have belts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Clover, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Clover

Clover New Member

As I was a dancer before just wondering whether this is something to be concerned about. I am the only new person everyone else has been doing it for years just wondering whether this is normal?

2. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I think quite a few modern arts don't have belts, I don't think it's anything to worry about?

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It would REALLY help if you told us what martial art you practice.

As a general answer, martial arts without belts is not a bad thing.

4. Clover

Clover New Member

I think it is based on Ninjutsu but it focuses more on the fitness side of martial arts which I like.

5. Pretty In Pink

Does this place have a website? Sounds a bit dodgy.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ninjutsu and fitness aren't usually synonymous....

7. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Okay I see this thread going a little sideways in the near future. I'm going to recommend mentioning your training goals before going any further.
    No belts doesn't really matter.
    Modern fitness ninja schools... probably going to be absolutely awful and not teach you anything you won't learn better (including fitness) somewhere else.
    But if it's nonsense and you know it, and you enjoy it anyway, then you're good to go.

8. Hannibal

Arts that typically don't have belts - Wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai - are the cornerstones of MMA and considered amongst the most effective.

As Kurtka said it is very much dependent upon what you want. If it's friends and fitness - and you are indeed getting that - nothing else matters unless you want better specific fitness needs or a cheaper option

Self Defense purposes is a whole new animal

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

http://www.liverpoolmartialartsclub.com/

No belts at all or just student belts and blackbelts?

Might be these guys,

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Don't fall into the trap of thinking only 'modern' arts have no belts/ranks/grades.

In my experience most classical and competitive systems have two 'ranks'. Student/fighter and instructor/coach.

11. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Some of his movement is actually pretty slick. Some of it I didn't like. Plus there was a lot of posing and flourishes that I wouldn't recommend.
    Some of the knife stuff drifted into one-sided randori but most of the uke were attacking for the sole purpose of falling down.

Can he move? Probably, up to a point. Is that being imparted to his students? I doubt it.

Now of course this is all based on a couple minutes from a youtube video.

Also, I don't know the story on Bujinkan Brian Dojo... IIRC they're regarded pretty poorly in some circles. Whether it's for their actual ability, I don't know.

12. Hannibal

Ironically the latter BBD seems to moving in a far better direction - they are pretty much a Gendai system now with little if any classical trappings

13. Pretty In Pink

Compared with my current instructor I don't think I'll be going back any time soon.

14. Hannibal

Compared to Rick there are very few places I would go to instead!

15. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

Belts are just to help instructors keep track of your progress. As long as what you're learning is good, there are no worries.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Muay Thai has a grading system, though it's only just recently been introduced. Will unlikely see much of it in Thailand though.

17. SHAD0W

SHAD0W Valued Member

My Thai instructor says that
    "only belts you see in Thai are championship belts. If you want a 'grading' you get in the ring".

18. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

OP: if it is that school, it is BBD. It is headed by a guy called Brian McCarthy.

It may be ok for general fitness, maybe.

What it definitely is not, is actual ninjutsu.

It is something cobbled together from modern arts. Brian did once train in ninjutsu but then went his own way, before learning much.

Why he still uses the Bujinkan name is a complete mystery.

19. Vieux Normand

Vieux Normand Valued Member

Just curious: if they're instructors, why would they need belts to help them determine your progress?

Being experienced in whatever they're teaching, shouldn't they be able to tell where you are in your training, just by watching you perform/practise/spar/roll/whatever?

Of course, there are always other reasons for belts (*ka-ching*).

20. Pretty In Pink

I don't think it's really that important until you're thinking about teaching tbh. A lot of places use it just for making extra money.