Hail From The Land Of Refined Sobriety

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Vieux Normand, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Vieux Normand

Vieux Normand Valued Member

Greetings,

We'll see how many rules I break from not having read the stickies before posting (for some reason, stickies make me want to wash my hands).

I go by the user name "Vieux Normand" because it refers both to my oncoming state of arthritic senility and to my ethnicity. It's also the name of a fave song from my land of origin.

My involvement in martial arts is due to one of my occupations: I'm a patron relocation technician at some local nightclubs. Of course, the present economy forcing many people to wear more than one hat, it isn't my only job, but it's the relevant one for the purposes of martial-arts training. Been breaking up fights in clubs since 1983. Yes, I'd like to retire.

Started Judo in 1967, but didn't get Shodan until a quarter-century later, after some training in northeastern Japan. Wrestled in high-school and university (I have two physical-education degrees from University of Toronto), and began studying full-contact Karate in the late seventies, as well as daido-juku in Japan (fun stuff, but those old helmets kept fogging up) and Kyokushin at the Goudreault Dojo in Ottawa after coming back to Canada from Japan.

Currently, I only hold a Sandan from Takemasa Okuyama (Kancho in Tak Kubota's IKA organization). I went with his Dojo, when my wife and I moved to Toronto, because of his strong Sumo and Judo backgrounds prior to his own study of Karate.

Size-wise, I'm not big by nightclub-security standards: six-one and 210 lbs. However, I've been able to manage okay, and am looking to be down to 200 lbs by the time I'm sixty (eight years hence).

'Nuff said. Now I'll go and see how many n00b-rules were broken by the above post, and see how many more ways I can screw up by perusing some of the other threads. Prepare the ban-hammer of doom.

Take care and stay safe,

|//|

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

Good to have you on board.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You done fine man! Made me chuckle at "Patron relocation technician". We've got a guy on the forum also from Canada, he loves Catch Wrestling. I'm sure you'll get along famously.

4. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Welcome to MAP! It's been a while since I read stuff over at Bullshido, but I seem to remember a name like that from there. Was that you?

Anyways, sounds like you have some pretty awesome MA credentials!

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Welcome Vieux! We seem to have a lot of cross pollination these days - I approve!

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Welcome aboard :)

Mitch

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Welcome to MAP

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

9. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1_fDwX1VVY"]Impossible Mission (C64): Another visitor! Stay a while; stay forever! - YouTube[/ame]

10. ned

ned Valued Member

Salut et bienvenue a la MAP !

11. Ninja_Lee

Ninja_Lee Valued Member

Welcome from across the pond! I have some friends who recently became citizens of your fine country.

12. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

One of the best intro's I have had the pleasure of reading. Welcome aboard!

13. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Welcome to MAP!

14. Vieux Normand

Bonjour again, and many thanks for the welcomes. As English isn't my native tongue, you may find any number of misuses of your language. Remember, everything--even Monday mornings--is the fault of the French.

Yes, I did nefariously steal the user-name from someone over at BSD, and that person is me. Angry at such shameless theft, I have gong-sau'ed myself. No telling who will win, or if it will even happen: maybe Vieux Normand will duck and find all sorts of reasons to avoid throwing down with Vieux Normand. You know how such challenges often go--lots of flaming, no action. As Groucho the Magnificent once claimed: I never met a man I didn't meet.

Again, many thanks for all the kind welcomes, and see you in the threads.

OSU! (Ow...think I hurt myself)

|//|

15. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Welcome aboard.

Always good to have more Kyokushin types on the board.

Osu!

Dan

16. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Welcome to the asylum :D

17. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Welcome.Quite a history.

Started Judo @ 5? Was someone in the family an instructor?

And PKA type kickboxing in while you were in high school? Pretty radical for those days!

18. Vieux Normand

Greetings,

The Judo, when I first started it, was part of after-school programs where I was growing up. Lots of five-year-olds learning their ukemi and so on. Judo has always been quite popular in France.

The full-contact wasn't PKA. It was KK--also popular in Europe--and I'd left high-school by that time.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014