Kensa or Tenki JJ in Hampshire?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by bigreddog, Jun 25, 2012.

1. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Hi All

Looking to get back into training after a couple of years off - looking for something to combine gi-grappling and striking, with sparring (sport jj style). Both of these schools are in Winchester and look like they combine some of both - anybody here with any experience or warnings they want to share?

I will probably check out both but I'm always a bit wary of new schools so thought I'd just check first

Cheers

BRD

2. hext

hext Valued Member

Hi, You should also check out Ippon Ryu - Also based in Winchester. Located at the River Park centre on Sunday evenings. I have recently started (3 Months) and absolutely love it!

I can't say much about the other two schools, although a couple of the Tenki guys now train at Ippon....

3. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Hi Hext - appreciate the insight, Ippon had esaped my notice. The website description sounds a little more traditional - do you guys spar much? (Nothing wrong with traditional, I just like to punch and roll!)

4. hext

hext Valued Member

There's always sparring at the end of the lesson but It depends on your experience level into how involved, I'm a beginner in jujitsu so the rolling is for positions rather than submission at the moment, do you have much previous?

5. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

A bit, but a couple of years off.

Thanks

6. hext

hext Valued Member

well you'll be welcome in Ippon Ryu! Most are beginners or from another MA background starting JJ.

PS. i'm not affiliated or on any type of commission ;)

7. hext

hext Valued Member

Just a quick update --- one of the Sensai's (Chief instructor, I believe) from Kensa came and joined in one of our lessons on Sunday as he knew our sensai(s), Top bloke and we all had a great time!

8. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Thanks - will try to get down soon

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Good to see you're getting back in the game mate!

10. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Cheers - bizarre to meet up like that!

11. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Oh, and it's only back in the game when I can actually get my ass backinto the dojo, as opposed to talking about it ;-)

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You seemed pretty in the game when you were crushing the life out of me last month ;)

13. Judith

Judith New Member

Hi, sorry to resurrect this thread. No doubt you have already made your choice by now. But just wanted to put it out there to anyone who is interested that Tenki Ryu is a very good club. I would say that though - I'm one of the two who runs it. If you look at the testimonials on our website, you will see that others do agree with me though.

I would say the best thing anyone can do when looking for a club to train at is to visit as many in the area as you can & then make your decision. All clubs offer at least one free lesson, so take advantage & join right in. Don't just sit & watch. Put on a t-shirt & loose tracksuit style bottoms & give it a go, it really is the best way. We can loan a gi if preferred.

The guys at Ippon are good guys - they were trained by John Andrews (the other guy who runs Tenki Ryu), I sat on the grading panel & had no problem signing my name to their certificate & certainly think they are worth a visit. The chief instructor from Kensa was also taught by John Andrews & graded to Black by him. Clearly there will be some similarities between our three clubs but big differences also as each club has their own specific focus & very different teaching styles. This is why it is important to visit all clubs - which instructors method & style best fits you?

Winchester Aiuchi is another good club in Winchester - no links to us! I hope you have found a club that suits you.

As said above though, just wanted to put out there that we are a great club, very friendly & welcoming.

14. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

No apologies for the resurrection, infor much appreciated and I haven't done much - new baby and work have been pretty disruptive recently.

You mention that the clubs all have their own focus - which one looks most at sporting applications?