Members Training Clips

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Visage, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Hi guys!
    This is the Internal Martial Art’s training clips thread. The idea here is for members of MAP to post their own training clips – that is clips of themselves doing their own training. Lets keep this thread about us; the contributing members of MAP.

This is meant to be a respectful thread where we can share our varying methods with each other, without the worry of slagging off, or sniping comments. I’ll be asking the MOD’s to keep a close eye on the thread to keep it in hand.

So guys; let’s see you all doing your stuff! :D

A couple of guidelines –
    1) Material must be of your own training

2) If you want to post a question or constructive criticism, feel free, however; if you are only going to post with comments such as “WTF? Th4t i5 w3ll cr4p! lolz” then please find somewhere else to post. The idea of this thread is to help each other improve our practices – not to slag each others practices off.

Here's mine so far:-
    Clips of Taiji Butterfly and I doing various training excerices.
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=neijiakungfu
    If any new ones are recorded, they will be posted here too.

So… Who’s up next? :D :D

James

2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Can we ask questions?
    If so then what is the purpose of the "wobble" that TJB sometimes puts into his form? If not ignore.

The Bear.

3. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Yes, questions are allowed, as is friendly constructive criticism.

Which clip are you refering to PB? If you tell us which clip and about what time in the clip, maybe TJB can answer?

James

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

There currently only is one clip i.e. the one the posted. The "wobble" goes right through the whole form. It very noticable right at the start.
    I have ever posted anything other than constructive criticism to YOU, visage?

The Bear.

5. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

There is another, earlier clip of TJB doing slow form on my YT profile. I'll leave it to TJB to comment on the wobble/shake.

And yes, yes you have :)

James

6. path_one

path_one steps taken

I have only watched the light sparring 1 video and i have to say that you guys need to loosen up and be more fluid. at the moment it looks like ur both sticking to what you are comfortable with and for this reason you are not trying out other techniques. remaing fairly static unti lyou get to use the things you like/are confident with. if its light sparring you can afford to try other things without being too worried about getting hit/hurt. just an opinion.

thanks for posting the vids (all of them-i will check them out during my lunch break) good flexibilty, keep up the good work ;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  7. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Hi Polar Bear - I've taken you off my ignore list to answer your question. :)
    There may be two wobbles you're referring to. Can you give me a timer reference from the clip where you can see it and I can then be more specific about what's going on there?
    I think there are two main types of 'wobble' going on in that clip, but it may be something else you're spotting.
    One of the wobbles was a phase my form went through as I 'played' with my centre and my structural connections, it was sometimes conscious and sometimes unconscious. The other was me beginning to develop some fajin and trying to express the eight jins. Is that maybe what you mean?
    Are you referring to the 'fast form' clip or the slower one? The slower one is well out of date now. Let me know.
    Cheers :cool:

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

The slow one, right at the start I notice your shoulders "wobble".

Feel free to return me to the ignore list afterwards.

The Bear.

9. Taiji Butterfly

I'm happy to keep you off ignore Mr Bear.
    I only use my ignore list to give me a break when I'm wound up: my problem, not yours necessarily, therefore = my solution. :cool: I don't stay mad forever tho lol
    I don't like aggravation and conflict, but I find it difficult not to create it/respond to it around here sometimes. Funnily enough tho I don't seem to get that anywhere in the real world, only on here most of the time. Even the psychopathic meathead who's been threatening to kill me and trying to start a fight with me for the last ten years doesn't ever get a rise out of me. When it matters, I'm different.
    Here is just an illusion to me: sometimes a useful one, sometimes just a pain in the butt lol :rolleyes:

So, to clarify, you mean this clip?
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=neijiakungfu
    If you do, then in the clip above I'm just responding to my internal state in that moment, making an adjustment if you like while trying to get in touch with my peng - I failed at that moment btw, and if it doesn't come from inside, I prefer not to do it at all (in the context shown), hence I defaulted into slow form. The demo was a touch rushed anyway and I'm ill, which is why I want to do it again when I'm 100% - check out Middleway's fast opening for an example of the peng that should have come out in the opening move lol. Anyway, I was taught to shake out tension, to constantly correct and adjust from the start of my training.
    I also suffer with a thing called fibrocytis, which means I am subject to chronic muscular tension at times, my shoulders are one of the places I get this, so I habitually shake them a bit as I raise my spine to make sure they are as relaxed as possible when I am doing Taiji. On the plus side, I have very hard shoulders which are great for 'bumping' lol

Having re-read your question one last time, I also allow my shoulders to whip a bit when I am 'issuing' from the centre, and sometimes as a 'rolling back' aspect. I'll watch the clip again closely to see if I can pick up on it a bit more. As I said before, if you give me some time refs, I can maybe be more accurate.

Adimlarla - I agree completely on the sparring clips, they are quite old and I'd never really done much stuff like that before then.
    I know we've done better since, but we haven't filmed much of it as far as I remember.
    All points taken on board tho :cool:

10. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

TJB,
    yeah the first instance is between 0:05 and 0:08 the first step out. You kinda "wobble". I have seen this done at various tournaments. I just never thought to ask why? Plus loads of Tai Chi people get defensive when you question their form.

The Bear.

11. Taiji Butterfly

Right. Yeah, it's just a kind of 'shaking myself into my form' thing - don't know an 'official' term for it! It seems to help me centre, get 'sung' and connect to the ground to generate peng, maybe it's just an idiosyncracy, I dunno, but I do seem to do it most times and it seems to help me. It's like sloughing off the outer stuff and going to the internal stuff if you like or a way to get focussed or something. Maybe it's just psychological, but I find it helps somehow.
    Hope I didn't sound defensive btw, I'm happy with my standard form work nowadays, this was just an interesting experiment for me and I'm happy with it as an 'in the moment' snapshot clip. Like I said earlier, I kinda failed to generate anything much early on, but later on stuff started comin out better.
    :cool:

12. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Just on an aside, what do you see is the main purpose of the form?
    I notice you seem to experiment extensively with it, so I am interested in the reason behind the experiment and what your ultimate goal is with it.

The Bear.

13. Taiji Butterfly

Main purpose of form? Hmm that's a question with a variety of answers from my pov. My view of this has changed many times over 21 years.
    Primarily it's body/mind development imo/e - for various reasons tho:

Martial Art skills (obviously) - includes pure physical skills, jins, mind techniques (eg fear control, centring under pressure etc) and strategies to name a few...
    Self-control/Meditation
    As a form of Neigong
    Strengthening the body
    Focussing the mind
    Fixing imbalances, gaps and blockages - mental, structural, jingluo, emotional etc
    Psycho/spiritual development ( :eek: !! seriously)
    Building and storing various types of life-energy to promote health and longevity
    As a self-contained framework separate to everyday reality
    As a form of creative expression
    (Note: these are not exclusive, seperate or linear imo - they exist as part of an interdependant holistic continuum - ie what's the point of MA skill if you're always sick? What's the point of health if you're vulnerable to attackers? What good is being a great fighter if you're morally undeveloped and/or incapable of sustaining meaningful relationships in the world? What's the point of living a long healthy life if you aren't ready for the end of it? etc etc)
    There's probably others, but that's all that spring to mind right now.

The reasons behind my experimenting are many again. Primarily to keep raising the effectiveness of the above list in as many areas as possible. The main area I concentrate on presently is Martial Art tho.
    My personal view of Taiji is as a concept is movement and change, so why shouldn't form be subject to that also?
    My 'ultimate goal' is to change my name to Dr Klon and run my evil empire from a secret island (as in "A fistful of Yen" - a spoof on Enter the Dragon contained within the film "Kentucky Fried Movie") ;)
    Seriously tho, I don't actually know - it's a Dao thing 'goal-lessness'.... :cool:

14. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Ah - is that why there are no Daoist football teams? :D

15. Taiji Butterfly

There are - but they play in the Immortal leagues. You can only watch those games on Qi-TV!! :D

16. jkzorya

lol :D

One of my students had a great idea for a T-shirt:

Where are they now?
    - The Daoist Immortals

17. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Qi-TV now there is a channel sky lacks.

I came up with wu shoes, the outdoor shoe for internal use.

The Bear.

18. jkzorya

That's brilliant! :D

19. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Few clips of training before a BCCMA event last year:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6Z_QaCV7-Q"]Light Sparring - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbTd_kXh5Lw"]Light sparring - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzwPdz7RhxM"]Light sparring in class. - YouTube[/ame]

20. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hey Lio, the first two vids are on private and need an invitation or something.. :confused: