Stretching Links

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by KickChick, Nov 6, 2003.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Stretching is an important part of all martial artist's work out. It is important to stretch all the major muscle groups of the body if you are going to avoid injury and improve overall flexibility.

I've comprised what I believe are the best stretching & flexibility links:

MAP Stretching Index

MAP Archives:
    Poor Pelvic Alignment

Ab Training

Split Differences

Best from the NET:

Stretching ... tips and printouts!

Stretching Your Potential

Exercise Prescription

The Brad Appleton Stretching Guide

Here is a list of of Tom Kurz articles on Stretching I recommend you get Kurz's book ... don't forget to check your local library if you wish to check out before you purchase!)

Free Kurz Report on Stretching

Stretching Errors

Working Towards Splits

Stretching by Muscle Groups

Stretching Exercises at Fitness Universe

Stretching & Mobility

Warm Up to Stretching

Is Stretching for Everyone? (submitted by wynnema)

** newly revised Oct. 3, 2006

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  2. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

Good idea KC. How about you make it a sticky to guarantee people see it before they start asking questions?

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

It was "stuck" already!;) (but thanks for the heads up anyway)

All the "what, where, how, why, when's of stretching" posts as of late needed to be addressed in one area.... and here it is.

(Notice that MAP is #1 on the list! ;) )

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Dang, I tried something Kurtz said to do and GOT "Stuck"...

5. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

"Stretching to Perfection (pdf format)" - this is exactly the same as the Secrets of Stretching video from Stadion (Tom Kurz). The text is the same - word for word.
    I thought this material was original to Tom Kurz, there is no mention of him in the aknowledgments

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Interesting .... maybe someone should inform Steve McQuillan to include mention of Kurz in his acknowledgements :D

7. Cain

Cain New Member

ROFL! :D

|Cain|

8. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

Why is that amusing??

9. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

In the second link, there's a section on overflexibility. Would the ability to go into the full leg splits be overflexibility or are the leg muscles able to stretch that far without any problems?

10. The Walker

The Walker Unregistered User

Good Yoga Site for Stretching

http://www.yogabasics.com/

I've been working with some of these positions, they really help out- you feel really energized after you stretch your spine and the rest of your body.

-Just remember that it's best to find a qualified instructor before trying any of these positions.

11. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

Have people had good results following the Kurz programme?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  12. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

You can do a search on "Kurz" here and it will turn up prior discussion.
    I thoroughly give his method a thumbs up (rather toes up! :) )

As far as what is so amusing ... it seems ITF New Zealander Steve McQuillan should have referenced Kurz if in fact he used his words verbatim.

Let's keep adding helpful Stretching/Flexiility "links" to this thread ....

13. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

Yes, I have the Kurz video and it looks a sound and structured approach but have never yet given it the required commitment!

14. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

Ummmm, no one answered my question. :S

15. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Actually there is a section on "overstretching" (damaging the muscles by stretching improperly or too intensely) NOT "overflexibility" (which is being able to have a higher degree of joint ROM and the ability to contort one's appendages)

Note: I've added some more links :)

16. ClubbellTrainer

ClubbellTrainer Fitness Coach

On the MAP Stretching index, I recommend eliminating the "Stretching" article by Charles Ruth. It has nice pictures, but the methods are outdated and are not particularly effective. I've seen identical routines in books a century old, and that's no reason to recommend them. A far more effective warmup using dynamic range of motion (DROM) methods will get more done in less time, with less chance of injury.

17. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

This Stretching piece was an article submitted by Chazz (MAP-oldie) and ex-moderator of the Tae Kwon do Forum.

This "how-to" does incorporate many of the traditional methods of pre-class stretching which is primarily joint rotations and static stretches.

I agree that dynamic stretches are far more effective but I find that many schools (primarily TKD schools) do stretch in this manner .... whether it is effective or not.

18. ClubbellTrainer

ClubbellTrainer Fitness Coach

The links to "Stretching By Muscle Groups" and "Warm Up to Stretching" are also outdated and contain information that is mostly irrelevant to effective stretching.

The "Stretching to Perfection" article is a blatant ripoff of Tom Kurz, who got no credit. Many sections of this article are word-for-word Tom Kurz's text.

The most effective means of increasing my range of motion and overall flexibility are those promoted by Thomas Kurz, Scott Sonnon, and Pavel Tsatsouline. For information on Kurz's material, use the link to his articles above.

For information on Scott Sonnon's methods, go to any of the following sites:
    www.circularstrengthmag.com
    www.clubbelltv.com
    www.someotherforum.com

For information on Pavel Tsatsouline's methods, go to:
    www.dragondoor.com

I am also a fan of PNF stretching methods, and highly recommend Kit Laughlin's books "Stretching & Flexibility" and "Overcoming Neck & Back Pain". The other gentlemen I mentioned have also put out several books and videos that I swear by.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2004
  19. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Hey I'm outdated too but you ain't gonna get rid of me that easily!

Thank you for your opinion ... I, as many other members here, are very much aware of the many, many methods and forms of stretching available and I offer praises to Kurz everyday.... and that is why ALL types of stretching info is contained here.

... and thank you for the Pavel link which has been mentioned in many of the stretching threads within our H&F (I do receive his email newsletter also)

Your other links are not direct routes to stretching info .... one does not work and the other a link to another forum ....

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  20. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned