Constantine

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Cougar_v203, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

who here besides me is gonna go see this movie?

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Im definately going to watch it. Looks great.

When I get the dosh Im there sharpish. Im not going to bring my girl friend though, I actuall want to watch it. :D

3. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

I'm a Hellblazer fan from way back - I have the first issue signed by the author and artist! I'm very dubious about this movie, but I'll definitely check it out.

4. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Ditto here,

This movie looks like a big bag of pants (unlike the comic). I will be going to see it just so I have something to moan about for a couple of months.

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I've actually heard some suprisingly good things about it from some fellow comic book fans.

(Hig, I've got an excellent Authority one-shot that takes the mick out of hollywood ;) )

6. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

I dont get a choice, I will have to see it, working in a cinema and all... :eek:

7. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

Im also a fan of the comics. Keanu Reeves is probably the worst choice to play John Constantine, he is supposed to be English. Saying that I saw a trailer and it doesnt look too bad.

Comic fans watch out there are plans to make Alan Moores V for Vendetta(Wachowski brothers) and the Watchmen into films. I hope they arent too "Hollywoodised".

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Yes, because constantine was a dark haired scrawny American ponce, who had a nice shiny black car, and could go to hell so long as he had his feet in a bucket of water. Oh, and he was a force for good, fighting for heaven.

...they could at least have not called it Constantine, if they're gonna produce garbage like this from good comics then please don't make any association with the comic.

Keanu Reeves for gods sake. I mean, why? They'll probably pick him to play Rorsach in Watchmen as well. *shudders*

9. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i'm definately going to go see it.... oh i just can't wait for all of the religious and moral people come out of the wood work and complain, even though its based on a comic.

10. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Please god, no! :cry: Reeves is about as wrong for Constantine as Vin Diesel would be for Spider Jerusalem in a Transmetropolitan movie and if I have to see this, it will be under extreme duress and/ or due to extreme levels of boredom

11. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Hehe...they always do come to the aid of the Hollywood producers, don't they? Nothing like religious fanatics to give them free advertising.

BTW, just noticed you quoted me in your sig...kinda wierd to see it, but thanks!

12. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Sometimes a bad actor just needs the right part. Reeves somehow fit for The Matrix (first one only IMO...the only good one). Maybe he will fit for this role by fluke as well...

Anyways, can't be a bad of a choice as was Tobey Maguire in Spider-man. Just watched SM2 and it drove me nuts how he ever got that part. Even when he was kinda cut in the first one he was still a scrawny little annoying fellow. But this one was worse...he was not even in very good shape, and was doubly annoying...but I digress.

13. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

yeah, i know whay you mean, i'm beginning to think that it may be a conspiracy :eek: and no problem.

14. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Ok, I actually saw it at a sneak preview last week. Here are the caviats:

1. I don't read Hellblazer, I know Constantine from other appearances.
    2. I didn't like the last two Matrixes and not a big Keaneu Reeves fan
    3. I didn't pay to see the movie and I didn't expect much

I liked it. A lot. It's far more fun than the previous two Matrix movies. The action is good. The conception of hell, though overly CG works quite well. And the movie does not take itself seriously. It isn't self parody (though Lucifer gets pretty close). But it also realized the material is campy and doesn't attempt to hide it at times. The opening scene lays it out pretty quickly as does Constantine's first exorcism.

Keauneu (or however the heck you spell his name) is pretty good as Constantine. Does this excuse the casting of an American actor? No. But, quite frankly, I had far more issue with that than I did with the actual performance (if anything I wanted to dislike him more). He spends equal times in control and as a punching bag. And the trips to Hell have a definite price. And the use of "gadgets" works quite well. Unfortuntately to talk about them would ruin them.

A lot of Hellblazer fans will probably have issue with the last shot. Again, differentiate the film from the comic book arc.

The supporting cast is solid. In fact I wish there was more of them. There are a couple good "little" twists (perhaps twists are not the right word... just script decisions). The entire thing is pretty predictable, but not in a bad way.

Finally, if you're looking for gore... you'll be dissapointed. There's none. This wasn't an issue for me as I don't dig gore that much. But it's a good level of horror action.

So, I dug it. I'm happy to answer questions. If you're interested in spoilers, PM me as I won't post them on the forum.

Again, my suggestion: go on a matinee, don't expect anything more than cheezy fun and you should have a good time.

- Matt

15. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

*sobs*

Why can't they just admit that it has nothing to do with the comic and change the name?

16. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

LBR... No offense, but from what I've seen there's a campy thread that runs through Hellblazer as well. Let's face it, Consantine, from what I've read of the backstory, is at times portrayed as a Sex Pistol turned hardboiled exorcist. It's that sort of two fisted exorcism style that the movie retains. There isn't smirking towards the camera. At the same time, this isn't the sometimes over-rought drama of the exorcist.

What they go after, which works, is a world weary, sometimes amoral hero, whose seen a lot of stuff and is trying to buy his way out of damnation and constantly failing.

Does that excuse the choice of an american actor over a Brit? Nope. But I think they did get the core of the character down pretty well. Like I said, you'll probably have the most issue with the final shot where the director "wimped out" on the character, then the general handling of him.

- Matt

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  17. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

18. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

LOL, I loved all your replies :D

19. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

You are all going to hell for even suggesting that in jest !!!!!!!!

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

You know who might have worked perfectly as Spider? Richard O'Brien.