So Happy about this Video

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Pretty In Pink, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

2. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

so all wristlocks are aikido?

what's the difference between aiki jujutsu and say, kito ryu jujutsu? keep in mind, the 10th planet jiujitsu has a difference from the gracie lineage (prevalence of the rubber guard), same thing with the D'Amato style of boxing (Patterson and Tyson) and the Futch/Roach style (Pacquiao). they possess the same moves, different employment.

so how can we be so sure that the one in the video shows aikido in action? misleading video title much?

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Because the gentleman doing the techniques is an aikidoka (amongst other things) by his own admission

So no, not even slightly misleading in that regards

This equally looks like stuff those "in the know" have been teaching for a while so without the knowledge of his background this could this could be a hundred other systems

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

LOL! :happy: I just bookmarked that on my home computer. Thanks! :D)

And, sure, weight always helps, but once the direction is right, wrist locks work regardless of size, and he really didn't seem to be using his weight advantage. These clips appear to be all technique. I love it! :D

5. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

so if a judoka collar ties and horizontally elbows his opponent, due to the virtue of him being a judoka, what he did was judo?

or if a practitioner of asayama ichiden ryu (which has wristlocks btw) becomes a member of aikikai, then does a wristlock, he's doing aikido?

or a wrestler, just by doing a sprawl, which is also present in bjj, is now doing bjj just because he sprawls?

6. Pretty In Pink

Semantic argument I think. Let's all just enjoy the wrist locks.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

What Chadderz said.

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Nice man, thanks

9. Pretty In Pink

I mean I think for sure you have to muscle it a bit because it's competitive. When you get good though you only need to muscle it a little bit.

Like, my brother showed me why I couldn't pick people up with a double leg. I would try and drive up as I was turning and he goes "no no no no...." and then shows me that you actually clamp them tight to you, literally nudge them to the side and then stand straight up. Almost no effort because I wasn't fighting all their weight. Same with this guy I think.

Did you notice he has much higher percentage techniques. He showed maybe four wrist locks in a 3 minute video but they all worked. I think we can all agree that aikido has techniques that work at a higher percentage than others. I wish other aikido could do this.

Also, I don't think he fought any wrestlers. More general grappler. Wrestlers really don't let you grip them at all. Whereas these guys would let him grip. Sub wrestling fail :p

10. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

not really. aikido is just a small subset of the umbrella that is jujutsu. just like the D'Amato style of boxing is a small subset of the field of boxing and characterized by a close-in hand guard, slipping punches and a leaping lead hook, aikido does have certain characteristics that distinguish it from, say fusen ryu or shingan ryu. now, are these characteristics present in the video posted?

that's why i asked: are all wristlocks aikido? if yes, then my argument is moot. if no, then other characteristics of aikido must be blatantly present for all to see, if the style presented is really aikido.

11. Pretty In Pink

Listen man, I apologise if I've mislead you in anyway but I'm fairly sure they guy is an aikido black belt with a lot of grappling experience. If you do some research and find out he's just a BJJ wrist lock expert I'll ask the mods to change the title. This thread was purely because I've wanted to see some wrist locks in live situations and this guy is doing it. Don't rain on my parade :D

12. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

I also hit low percentage moves to amuse myself when I spar people half my size.

I don't edit it into a YouTube highlight reel though because I have this tiny shred of self respect that I'm saving for a special occasion.

13. Pretty In Pink

Yeah I've done a few things like that but tbf he did use it in a fight against a guy his own weight too.

14. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

don't care if the guy has aikido and bjj credentials. what he's doing lacks characteristics so loved by aikido (except for the latter part where he demoes irimi nage, but it's just a demo). if he did a wrestling arm drag to kote gaeshi, then i'll see it as aikido (cuz irimi and tenkan are present). but he didn't.

don't worry, the onus is on him, not you ;-)

however, if he just titled it as "ninjutsu wristlocks" then i'd applaud it very much. the first wristlock he pulls off in the video is the basic ura gyaku to omote gyaku.

15. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I think that was a wrestling "worked" fight, quite typical in Japan I think. It's a fair observation being made, though I think the first chap was not far of his size.
    Personally I don't care if they are low percentage in certain environments or against certain people. It's not as though there aren't enough high percentage techniques to go round.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

traditional arts all have similar techniques. A lot of that clip could have been CIMA techniques, Chinese rather than Japanese. Once you take out the formalities and nuances from style specific technique training it looks pretty much the same.

Seriously is straight lead boxing or kickboxing, how about muay thai ?
    The answer is all of them, and no it does not matter!

17. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

it is important if you are talking about styles, not rulesets.

yes, many arts share similar techniques. but they focus on a certain set of these. these techniques are shown more, known about more, taught to others more, trained more and therefore habitualized more. this what gives a style its flavour.

lyoto machida's flavour is karate, you can see it in his punches, strikes, takedowns, tactics, etc. oh yes, he punches, he kicks, he knees (and we all know knees are muay thai, amirite? (^_•) ), but the overall flavour is that of karate.

TMA ingrains certain habits, that when it is taken out of the context it's created for, can be from frivolous to somewhat detrimental for achieving victory. but it is there, whether we like it or not.

18. Pretty In Pink

So what's your problem with the video?

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No its not

You don't seem to have a wide experience in "many arts" to be honest - how would you know? The more I train the more I see the more they all look pretty much the same

What you seem to be saying is that you get confused by anything that doesn't have a big shiny label on it

Is this more what you expect to see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQKtRZXNetE

Absolute nonsense - we have two arms and two legs and there are a finite number of ways we can move

20. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Nice video man! I'm loving those wristlocks