Meryl Streep Ragging on MMA

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Not all that clever to hit someone for having an uninformed opinion and then offering an uninformed opinion of your own.

"Elderly Woman dislikes violent sports" isn't news.

We all hold negative opinions on activities that other people dedicate their lives to (synchronised swimming is ridiculous and should not be an Olympic sport), so it's a massive double standard to get annoyed or offended when someone does the exact same thing to us.

3. Pretty In Pink

Man, I swear you just love nothing more than to disagree with absolutely any opinion :D

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If I agreed I wouldn't have replied, I'd have hit the thanks button (availability depending)

Am I wrong?

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I thought this was a good reply:

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/open-letter-meryl-streep/

I bet she would enjoy it too. I've come across women at several of our shows who were shrieking at their expectations of violence, brutality, etc.. 2-3 fights in, they were on their feet cheering like everyone else.

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I really don't get why people care so much about this. An actress at a movie award show made a one line little joke at mma's expense so what? I've spent the run up to the Globes seeing it in the news rolling my eyes saying oh my god who cares to myself.

She said they're not "the arts" like cinema and theatre and what have you and she's right. Even if she's not right why does it matter?

This is MMA. The place where fans mock other sports for being wimps as a matter of routine but as soon as someone attacks mma oh no we can't have that. MMA isn't an underground sport having to fight off being called gladiator games and human cockfighting to stop from going under anymore, its a worldwide sport where the biggest promotion just sold for billions of dollars. If someone wants to make a little quip at it at an insular award show why shouldn't she?

7. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I admit I haven't read the answers here yet, but I literally have just written pretty much the same in another forum a couple of minutes ago:

I will go and become unpopular here right now: I agree with her that MMA isn't an art in the sense, she was talking about.
    At all.
    She was talking about "classic" arts like theater, paintings, movie and the such.

Now seeing the MMA/world jumping up and down, because she was so mean - it feels a bit, like "they" want to take up the "victim-card" right now.
    She made a joke - live with it.
    She didn't go and said: MMA is so bad and evil, and they beat each bloody - let's forbid it!"

Also it seems a bit like trying to use her for promotion: Now a big and known name has used "MMA" in a joke, so feeling hurt about it and google swims in MMA plus "Meryl Streep".

On a more personal side note: I also find it inappropriate to use a speech like hers to promote "MMA is misunderstood" instead on listening to what it really is about.
    She made some (a lot) very good points in her speech!
    A speech I personally like very much and think has lots of truth in it.

EDIT: Nice, southpaw was faster then me :eek: :)
    EDIT 2: In the German forum I was just essentially told, that my statement has no value; I knew it :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

want to debate the meaning of "art"? lol

look, i think what she's saying is fine. she could have mentioned any popular sport. i don't think this is worth getting worked up about at all. if you look at the context of her entire speech, i think she's making a much bigger point, which apparently our president-elect even took issue with.

9. Pretty In Pink

Hey, the rest of her speech I was fine with. MMA is my life at this point. With less words she calls MMA non-inclusive to diversity. That bugs me.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The direct implication from her statement is that it's a "no foreigners sport" - which is patently wrong - with a side order of millionaire elitist snobbery on anyone who likes such "low brow" activities

Because "Mama Mia" is right up there when you talk about art isn't it?

11. Giovanni

when you fight, are you playing an american from the south, raised in australia?

lol, sorry. just trying to add humor. i respect your opinion chadderz. i'm not sure she's saying mma isn't inclusive, which it clearly is.

funnily....my boss is trump fan. and i was telling him about tyron woodley. i'm like he was even raised in ferguson. :)

12. Hannibal

As a white, millionaire prima Donna who gets to choose how and when she works and dictates conditions of said work I think she is a GREAT spokesperson for an incredibly opressed group like Hollywood Actors.....

13. Hannibal

She can

She can then be called out for it

Everyone gets there say and everybody wins :(

14. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Who cares ....carry on training .....dont rate her much as an actress anyway ..

15. Giovanni

because she has an opinion that we need art in our lives, she's a prima donna?

16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Of course she can be called out people can say whatever they feel like. But I still have a giant "why bother?" question over it.

How many people would have heard about this if she said it and no one responded? Her opinion is more out there now because people responded to it and no one who already shares her opinion is going to be convinced by the responses

(okay special mention here does go to the UFC's poster of their champs as a counter to the lack of diversity thing, that was a good response)

And really what does it matter? Was anyone taking what Meryl Streep said at the Golden Globes seriously to begin with outside a pretty small minority of film fans? This is an issue now purely because the mma crowd turned it into one and it just seems so...well pointless.

She wasn't calling for it to be banned so just watch what you like, don't watch what you don't, and live your life. This news story is doing the rounds in the mma well far too much for such a non story

17. Hannibal

Mainstream mentions MMA and MMA uses it to raise their profile - makes sense to me

Frankly if they DIDN'T take advantage of the opportunity to get more exposure I would have been asking questions

18. Hannibal

No she is a prima Donna because she is a prima Donna... Independent of her speech

19. Hannibal

As an actress I actually think she is very good

20. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

While I don't understand why she bothered to bring MMA into it,I do agree- (most of) this stuff we do,MMA,TMA,boxing,etc ain't "arts".
    Never understood why she was considered better than Close,except she got better roles.

Then too,DeNiro was supposed to be The Greatest-but I think he just got bigger films than Duvall.