First tournament new Gi?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by gemtkd, Nov 16, 2016.

1. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

My daughter has her first competition in December. She has a cheap but functional spirit brand gi. Is it worth investing in a new Gi with a bit more weight? I was thinking core black label. I should add she's 9 and currently a white belt but should hopefully get her yellow after the comp.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

No. It will make no difference to anything except your bank balance.

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

No for a couple of reasons. She's a white belt, she may get battered in the tournament and decide she doesn't want to continue. Also putting her in a heavier gi might might throw her off a bit from what she's comfortable in. A new gi will do nothing to help her in the tournament.

4. Weave

Weave New Member

If you buy an expensive gi, the likelihood is that is will be in equally bad shape after a 'heavy' tournament. More expensive gis are usually better in training than in the competition side as it can cost you a lot of money.
    Weight in a gi I like; for me the heavier the better, however I would buy a cheaper heavyweight gi for your daughter to try first to make sure she likes it. If she does then you can buy a more expensive one at a later date.