Keeping your cool

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Dunc, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Probably one of the most important skills a martial artist develops is to keep their cool under pressure

If you get angry, shocked or overly excited the adrenaline shuts down many of your skills

You can be the best practitioner in the world but if you're unable to keep your cool and easily wound up then you have a key opening. It has a lot to do with ego, self awareness and practice/training

I wonder how people can think of themselves as martial artists if they can't even keep their cool during debates on an online forum?

2. Dunc

PS - probably this isn't the best thread to start, more of a reflection on the crazy & sad stuff that hit the MOD inbox this morning

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Isn't this why we pressure test? The first time you throw a beginner into a sparring session, it's always a lightbulb moment for them.

4. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Pressure testing and a real situation are VERY different, in a sparring environment you KNOW it isn't real, there is a sense of safety, and you are somewhat mentally prepared for "something is coming". In many other situations those variables just aren't the same and can't be recreated. But it does help with different scenarios.

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

But your reaction should be the same. When a

- striker tries to knock your head off, you try to protect your head from being hit. You then try to knock/take him down ASAP.
    - grappler tries to take you down, you try to control both of his shoulders so his hands won't be able to reach to your leg or waist. You then try to knock/take him down ASAP.

"How to enter - deal with your opponent's attack" and "how to finish - end the fight" should be the same in both situations.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  6. erickjhonson

erickjhonson Valued Member

of course its the main aspect for a champ

7. Dunc

Yup - I also think that you need to develop a thick skin so you're not wound up easily

8. CrowZer0

The OP was talking about "keeping your cool" and how adrenaline shuts down many skills. I was merely stating that pressure testing can't adequately recreate one of these adrenaline rushes/dumps so the testing in itself is of benefit but to a limited extent.

I wasn't talking about the skills or actions one uses, but more about dealing the the fight or flight response itself, control of which only comes through exposure.

One may spend a lifetime pressure testing skills, sparring, but still be completely overwhelmed by a situation that seems absurd if you haven't previously been exposed to it, can pressure testing help more than someone who hasn't had any training? Yes, but to a limited extent to a real scenario.

9. holyheadjch

Have you ever sparred? You get plenty of adrenaline rushes.

Is it 100% the same? No. It is 100x better than not doing it at all? Yes.

10. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Yea the first time I sparred my boxing coach I was just about wetting my pants.

In some ways it's worse because you know it's about to happen, in the few real scraps I've been in it was all over by the time the adrenalin hit me lol.

11. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

I understand that some may find a response coming from PR ironic but...:thinking:

I think many misunderstand adrenaline dumps, how to best use them, and what the longer term effects are. Obviously, you may experience one when threatened with violence. The timing is very different in a sudden encounter as compared to a competition or other event where there is the expectation of a stressor.

I read somewhere that the actual effects last for 6 seconds(couldn't find any corroborating information just now), so that is something to consider within the realm of self defense. However, if you really want to train for dealing with adrenaline, public speaking may be one of the best avenues. As far as fear goes(especially irrational), it ranks up there. Here's an interesting read that shows that even political affiliation can affect what you fear, not surprising considering this year's Presidential quandary.:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...cary-to-democrats-as-they-are-to-republicans/

Life stressors, phobias, and fear all play a role in affecting our ability to cope, but as relates actual fighting, experience is important, as is learning to relax. Here is another interesting read about the topic:

https://www.policeone.com/training/...adrenaline-dump-Its-more-than-just-breathing/

I think many only deal with one aspect of this topic, which is in actuality very complex. Sparring, fighting, and competing can cause adrenaline dumps, but at different times and even sometimes afterwards.

Back to the OP though, I think some people take things way to seriously and lack a sense of humour. Some posters also come here to start trouble, and posting style also can be an issue. I'm really not a blue meanie though I play one on tv. I've gotten a lot of PM's over the years which have been very supportive because it isn't easy being the target of many people's martial hubris. Just kidding, it doesn't bother me in the least that some people with agendas try to stir up trouble, I just try to be helpful and insightful but realise that not everyone will agree or like what they hear. I've had my share of issues with people like garth, campsinger, and many others but have found that we can get along in the end. What a great life lesson MAP has afforded this ninja! :vanish:

ps-I'll add that I realise I've caused the mods some headaches over the years but my aim has always been to clear up misconceptions about ninjutsu and put correct information out there that wasn't available back when I first started training in these arts. If I've failed, then let all the Tengu of Mt. Takao punish me for 108 days of years.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  12. CrowZer0

I've been sparring for near enough 20 years.

The other two points you made I already mentioned, so you're just rehashing what I already said?

You can spar all your life, still won't be the same if you get bottled in the back of the head because you accidently offended someone in a bar, or if a few guys corner you and a friend with knives out, and your drunken friend isn't SD trained and acts tough and it turns into a fight anyway.

How has your sparring prepared you for these two situations?

Since you asked me have I ever sparred, let me ask you, have you ever been in a physical altercation, fight or attacked in your life? Or is it all theoretical?

The guy who stole your lunch money when you were 12 doesn't count.

13. holyheadjch

Sparring has taught me all of those scenarios are losing ones and I should do everything in my power to get out of there without escalating the violence.
    Many times. Honestly, nowadays I get a more intense fight or flight response standing on the edge of a mat before a competition than I do when some lager lout starts mouthing off in my direction in a pub.

14. CrowZer0

So you're saying you would leave a friend/family member/partner behind after a situation has already escalated and they are already attacking you to "teach you a lesson"? Makes sense.

I wasn't asking if someone starts mouthing off, I was asking whether you've been in a fight. The answer seems to be no. I can assure you from experience, when you are bottled, jumped on, cornered, have your home brokoen into by 3 guys with weapons, it is not the same as being on the mat. I'm naming these scenarios through experience.

If you think pressure testing prepares you for the adrenal response in these situations, then you are clearly misinformed.

15. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

like, dude, chill a little. :)

16. holyheadjch

I wouldn't let it get that far nowadays.
    The answer is yes. As I said, many times. I've never been bottled, but I have been hit round the back of the head with a chair, and I've never been victim of a home invasion. The rest, yeah, multiple times.
    Ok, I'll let my endocrine system know that some randomer on the internet thinks it's not doing its job right.

17. CrowZer0

I'm extremely chill... I'm actually dancing a little, while listening to a JRE podcast.

18. CrowZer0

No one ever seems to think they would be in that situation before it actually happens, and it's extrmely ignorant/arrogant to think that you can 100% prevent a situation from arising.

The answer is yes. As I said, many times. I've never been bottled, but I have been hit round the back of the head with a chair, and I've never been victim of a home invasion. The rest, yeah, multiple times.
    I would seriously get it checked out if you get more nervous on the mat than in a situation where you're being attacked. Something isn't working right there.

19. holyheadjch

I've always found the anticipation to be a thousand times worse than the actual violence (in terms of anxiety and stress response, obviously not in terms of physical damage). And the anticipation is drawn out for a lot longer in a competition.

20. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i don't know dunc. i hear what you're saying, but it's a little bit of a false equivalence. no?

i type a lot. and sometimes if i'm into a debate with someone, the replies come fast and furious. but i'm (almost) never angry. it's hard to get any context from purely text.