Switching Martial Art

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Aaron87, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Aaron87

Aaron87 New Member

Hi all,

Just joined this forum after stumbling across the page after a google search.

I'm an experienced kickboxer (18 years) and competed many times nationally and held titles also.. A couple of years back I moved away from where I grew up to follow my career, although this meant I lost the ability to attend my life long kickboxing school. Since moving I haven't been able to find a gym to train at where I feel comfortable and suits my training ability - Previous gym had 3 World champs, 4 British champs and various 'area' champs.

My daughter has recently taken up TAGB Taekwondo and it's something I'm really considering getting into for a couple of reasons.. I can develop my own skills and ability by practicing a different MA and I can assist my 6 year old daughter with her learning and training, although she'll probably teach me a thing or two!

Has any done or have experience of switching from one MA to another? It seems like a fairly big change with the patterns and point stop style sparring where kickboxing is very much boxing with kicks..

I look forward to hearing from anyone..

Thanks,

Aaron

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

If you look at it as something you're just getting into to support your daughter and enjoy together, I'd say that's the best perspective.

It's highly unlikely that the TKD will compare well to your previous training or that you'll benefit from replacing your existing skillset with a the new approach (in my opinion you'd be training out your existing good habits in favour of something less functional).

You might still have a good workout, a laugh, a bonding experience and a social experience though.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The TAGB is a very broad church with lots of varied and experienced martial artists. It may be your daughter's TAGB instructor would welcome your additional experience?

Having started with the TAGB I left after getting my blackbelt and then after more than a decade gap (in which I did shed loads of other arts) I got back into it in order to train with my 6 year old daughter. My new TAGB instructor is very appreciative of the additional experience I have (and has even recently asked me to become an assistant instructor with him).

Sparring in TAGB comps is only point stop up to blue belt I think (might be later) and then becomes continuous. At black belt the contact can be quite tasty (although still shy of full contact most of the time). If you're good enough to make the national squad there is also avenues into harder contact events too (look up TAGB clash of the titans for an example).

If you are used to sparring kickboxing in a safe club environment (in other words you weren't killing each other every session and kept it technical) then the TAGB sparring won't be that far removed from what you're used to. Probably just a few things (no low kicks, hooks punches aren't the done things sometimes, etc) that would be frowned on (and even then some instructors will be more open to non-TKD type stuff than others).

With that said I value training with my daughter and sharing the journey with her far more than I do any desire on my part to be some sort of world beater or badass. So I'd be willing to put up with training, that might not quite be what I'm after personally, if it meant being part of something with her.

I'd say go for it. You may hate doing patterns (they can be an acquired taste for those that do arts without them) or some other aspects of training but then again you might just find something you enjoy and can share with your daughter.
    And if you try it and don't like it don't renew your licence after a year and go do something else. :)

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

MANY people on here have, at some point, trained in a style different to the one they started with. It's very common.

5. Aaron87

Aaron87 New Member

This is what I initially expect, although I will still keep up with my own kickboxing training in my own time so I'd like to think I could develop TKD along side my currently skills rather than replacing them!

100% agree with the bonding experience with my daughter, although when I first mentioned it to her she asked if I was too old!!! :eek:

6. Aaron87

Aaron87 New Member

This is interesting.. I wouldn't expect an instructor to welcome 'outside knowledge' - Nothing a quick chat with them wouldn't solve I guess.

I'm used to various types of sparring from over the years - technical and all out kill each other for round after round so the contact in TKD is unlikely to bother me although still something to be aware of, of course!

Training with my daughter is something I really love the idea of which I think is the driving force behind this interest in changing although I'd also look to compete in events and the national squad sounds like a good route to go too!

Thanks!!

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well in that case you HAVE to go and do it to show her you aren't. :)

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It varies massively from instructor to instructor I think.
    Some people are "TKD and only TKD will be done here" while others are much more open. Many instructors in the TAGB come from other arts themselves (or cross train).
    So long as you don't go in with a "I'll show them a thing or two" and let any interest in what you know develop naturally then you'd be surprised what some instructors will welcome.

Care to share who you'd be training with? Could be some of us even know them (Mitch on here is in the TAGB, does a lot of their social media and seems to know pretty much everyone).

9. Aaron87

Aaron87 New Member

Interesting!

That's 100% the approach I'd take. I'd be there to learn which is what it's all about.

I'm looking at two different local clubs to me, both seem to have a good reputation.

Jackson White schools & Patrick Carter.. Both have current World champions within their schools. I'm in Daventry, Northamptonshire and both are located within 10 miles of me.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Cool. Jackson White Snr is my instructor's instructor. As you say both him and Patrick Carter have good reps.

11. Aaron87

Aaron87 New Member

Ah cool, yeah it would be Jackson White Snr who's class I'd attend. Small world!

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You won't go wrong with Jackson White, and you'll have the option of competing at national and/or international level every month. See you at the next Comp (British Championships are in November :) )

Mitch

13. Mitch

I have to take issue with this.

TAGB TKD runs the gamut from kiddy classes to International level squad members who travel the world competing.

These guys compete in kickboxing tournaments too, indeed some clubs stage regular "fight nights" with other local arts, so as a junior TKD coloured belt you might be competing against kickboxers, for example.

It very much depends on the instructor.

Mitch

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I might even see you at a clash of the clubs event! (a kids sparring event my instructor, Gavin Cook, organises, with Jackson Whites Snr and Jnr and Lydia Walker...with other clubs expressing an interest too IIRC).

15. Aaron87

Aaron87 New Member

More and more people I speak to this seems to be the general view!

I'll be at the British as my daughter is competing.. Who knows, I might too if I manage to learn enough!

Thanks Mitch

16. Mitch

I should say that I wouldn't steer you away from Pat Cartery either, he's very experienced and has a good reputation too.

Mitch

17. Mitch

If Smitfire is there we'll try and get together for a chinwag, I haven't seen him for a bit, and it's always good to meet new people :)

Mitch

18. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Fair enough Mitcheroonie!

I know competitive TKD stylists (one who was an Olympian too) so I'm not in anyway trying to take anything away from them and I don't want to start going down the road of denigrating what other people do just because it's not to my specific tastes and understanding. So I won't.

If there's some good sparring and competition to be had along the father daughter experience then all for the better.

:)

19. Aaron87

Aaron87 New Member

Got round to trying out TKD last night..

Went to Pat Carters class in Rugby. Really enjoyed it and done very well, not sure why I was thinking I wouldn't with my previous MA background!

Looks like something I'll be sticking to for a while now.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong