Is Ninjutsu Really Effective?2

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Kurama1234, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

Is ninjutsu really effective on a real contact fight where your opponent doesn't put his arm on the air and hold it there? I'm asking it with all my heart, I'm a baby at ninjutsu, but I would like to hear it from the old guys.
    Is it?

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

You will never have to find out because if you are a true ninja, you will get the enemy to put his arm in the air and hold it there for you. :ninja1: :jester:

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Why do you think you are training against someone who is holding their arm out?

Edit for clarity: Why are they holding their arm out?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  4. fortunado

fortunado Valued Member

i used to throw knives a whole lot for about two years. i took judo, aikido, bjj, a little thai kick boxing, i can throw a weak overhand right, and some things i picked up here and there, like some sambo moves i saw my instructor doing.

i learned to throw the knives from two distances : single flip and double flip. that's like 8 feet from somebody and 12 feet respectively.

i worked at throwing a ka-bar, like the kind the marines use at long, long distances and it was a miracle to watch. it was really beautiful how i was a rank amateur and that knife flew in the air and stuck in a tree at, like 30 feet away.

learn to throw a knife such as a throwing knife with a one flip spin and take note how deep it penetrates the wood. then, walk up to the tree and shove the blade into the tree directly. you'll discover the kinetic energy from a spinning blade magically penetrates deeper than all your muscles working together trying to shove it directly into the wood.

if i'd become a ninja, i'd be a very bad one. i'd only have randori, rolling, sparring, and free-fighting at 80% experience to use as well as only knowing how to throw a throwing blade at the one spin distance with near 100% accuracy. i mean, it's like a gun in my hand that will always hit the target and get deep penetration every time, so long as i could move my feet to ensure i'm at the right distance, which is the only limitation.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

OP:

It depends on the club. Because this is the Internet everyone will tell you your school is terrible.

6. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

Training

When we are training, our sensei demonstrates the technique on a student and then we move on to applying the technique, e:g Musha Dori.
    I myself think musha dori is a very effective technique, but others I don't think so. We usually apply techniques like this: Your mate punches you and let his fist there so you can apply it properly, if you're having any problems or applying it wrong, sensei comes and help you.
    But my question is, how are we supposed to do such techniques on a jab or even on a cross? It's a fast punch and your opponent isn't gonna let his punch hanging on the air.

7. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

Not sure if trolling...

Ok. I'm sure it's trolling.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Then use the report function, rather than sending the thread in the wrong direction.

Or you could use your experience to help a new member.

9. Dean Winchester

When your teacher and his senior student train do they do the same with each other?

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

1) hit them
    2) control the clinch

11. Simon

It's real hard and something that you'll have to build up to.

There are some fantastic locks, throws, tie ups, take downs and so on and they're all real hard against a solid fast punch.

They all work, but sometimes you have to set up the technique first.

To be effective your school really should be building up to defence against a stiff, fast punch.

12. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

There's only 2 students and we started at the same time, so... No seniors.
    I think he's a great person, and doesn't charge a bucket for our trainings, but don't know if it's really effective (altho he shows great knowledge about taijutsu)

13. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

I asked my sensei about this, asked him how could we do such things on a jab and his answer was: Since jab is a fast and solid punch, you can't be doing such things as some I taught you, to defend yourself against a jab or a fast punch you should try to strike his muscle or dodge and strike; this is something you have to train everyday, otherwise won't work!

14. Simon

Sounds like sensible advice to me.

15. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Continue to express your doubts and queries to your teacher.

Do some cross training on the side and use that feedback to inform your Ninpo/Taijutsu training and/or to change your training direction completely.

good luck!

16. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

How would you guys manage to do an ura gyaku on someone? In a real contact sparring or fight?
    I haven't asked him yet, but how to do the omote gyaku on someone who's really strong?

17. Dean Winchester

Same way as you'd do it in keiko.

18. Kurama1234

Kurama1234 Valued Member

What's keiko?

19. Dean Winchester

Practice.

As you would when training the technique. If things are differing hugely between practice and application then you need to look at your training.

However before doing that you need some competence in the technique, by that I mean understand applying it against progressive resistance in the Dojo.

So do you understand what you are being taught, are you being taught properly and then is the system lacking in some way?

It's very easy to jump, mistakenly, straight to the last one when there are problems with the first two.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ura gyaku is from a lapel grip, so I'd get real good at it, whilst the grip is attatched and stripping the grip too.