Anterior core

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by flaming, Apr 19, 2015.

1. flaming

flaming Valued Member

What is better hanging leg raises or ab roll outs?

Or is there another better exercise?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think ab roll outs are the best core exercise period, but you need to have a lot of core strength to do them properly and safely.

Edit: but you should do hanging raises too, because they are also awesome.

3. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Yeah, ab wheel is probably one of the very best, that's why a lot of strong guys are only doing this one together with heavy compound movements for training their core.

An alternative to the ab wheel would be doing planks. There are all kind of planks. You can begin with the standard plank and make it more difficult while you progress, either by changing your stance or by adding weight or keeping the position for more time.

This one is considered a very good variation you might want to try [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TKktamzq4o"]Updated RKC Plank - YouTube[/ame]

Leg raises, sit ups, crunches and other traditional exercises are out of vogue right now, but since so many generations became strong and ripped using them they can't be that bad me thinks.

This kind of training is more popular these days https://www.t-nation.com/training/21st-century-core-training
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/secret-to-ab-training

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You can do ab wheel rollouts on your knees to start with.

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

also front squats and holding weight overhead.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Squats cure everything.

7. holyheadjch

They're still really difficult to do properly. If you don't already have a lot of core strength, it's really difficult to maintain a neutral spine through the movement. I've watched a lot of people perform them with massive amount of lumbar extension, which is really bad for the spine and takes all of the load of the abs. All pain, no gain.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

In those cases I'd recommend starting with very partial reps (limited ROM) and progressing from there.

9. holyheadjch

Or by doing rollouts on a stability ball first.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Or by eating cake.

Cake cures all.

11. holyheadjch

By far the best way to put mass on your abdomen.

12. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

lat strength is way more important than preexisting core strength when progressing to rollouts. the more weight you can hold on a fully flexed shoulder, the less you need to compensate with lumbar extension to roll out further.

13. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Thanks for the replies

I'll video my spine to see what it's up to on the roll outs.