Dan Sullivan's Dirty Boxing DVD set (review)

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Ben Gash CLF, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I got this a couple of weeks ago and I've just finished watching it (it's nearly 5 hours on 4 DVDs), so I thought I'd write a review.
    The set is primarily a collection of Panantukan pad drills, it's pretty much all focus mitt work, and you will need a grasp of basic boxing technique to use this set. It deals with the kickboxing phase almost exclusively, there are some drills which go to the ground and do ground punching, but by and large the Dumog is used to change angle or level to facilitate striking. Personally I'd have liked to see some more attached striking work (just because that's what I like :evil: ) but I can understand why they went this route with what they were trying to achieve.
    The drills have that Inosanto JKD flavour, they're pretty much all entry-set up-flurry-finish, and the delivery is always instruction-review-live demo. The technique drills are interspersed with "blitz" drills, high volume punching drills which just have demonstration with instructions called out.
    Content wise it's what you'd probably expect from what I've already said. Kickboxing combinations mixed with knees, elbows and headbutts, Waslik, Gunting and Siko entries, Dumog entries and footsweeps, and a collection of finger jabs, claws and rips, footstomps and groin shots.
    Production quality is high, Sullivan's delivery is clear and engaging, and his students are clearly skilled with nice clean technique. In the first couple of disks there is a definite Muay Thai flavour to some of Sullivan's movements, but that seems to wear off by the later disks. The disks also have a .pdf syllabus, which is a nice touch.
    I really enjoyed this set, and found it very informative. The drills were ALL useful, no filler or dubious techniques, and the sheer volume of quality information is staggering. There are enough drills here to teach a class for a good 2 years :eek: If you're watching the whole set then the fact that the drills are all structured the same can make it a little samey, but it didn't detract to such a degree that I lost interest.
    I'd say the only thing I was disappointed with was the attached striking aspect, but then I suppose this is a problem with any FMA set. The individual skillsets are all supposed to be combined and there's just such a vast amount of stuff. You probably need DVDs on Panantukan, Sikaran, Dumog, Hubud and Kino Mutai, and THEN an advanced set on combining them.
    Who should get this set? Obviously anyone who does FMA empty hand work (like I say, the array of drills is astonishing), anyone who does a kickboxing system and wants to learn more combative type material, or anyone who does a TMA striking system who wants to explore more functional training methodologies. I'd say anyone who was interested in learning this material who doesn't have a background in standup would need to get a boxing basics DVD or Rick Faye's Panantukan set as well (or go to a boxing class).
    I would certainly give this DVD set 5 stars and recommend it to anyone who's interested.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_1XBfgssqo"]Daniel Sullivan's Dirty Boxing Volume 1 - 4 - YouTube[/ame]

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Thanks for the review, looks interesting.

How much did you pay?

3. Ben Gash CLF

$135 for the set.

4. eliminator

eliminator Valued Member

Image removed - ap

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
  5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Editing my own post so as not to refer to content that isn't there anymore. - ap

Looks like good material. More compelling than some FMA empty hands I've seen.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  6. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Yeah - a bit more alive than a lot of other stuff...I think I'll pick it up.

Could we get rid of the huge edited picture please?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
  7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nope. Eliminator has the right to express an opinion. There's no profanity or personal attack involved. Nothing inappropriate. The fact that you and I disagree with his view doesn't mean he can't express it.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

A poster has just pointed out to me an alternate interpretation of the above. One that, embarrassingly, hadn't even occurred to me. I'm not sure what eliminator's actual intent was, but it could be taken in a way we'd like to discourage. In light of that, I've reconsidered and edited accordingly.

Thanks everyone.

p.s. The edits made to Boris' posts aren't because of any misdeeds on Boris' part. Just erasing references to the picture I removed up thread. Sorry for the inconvenience Boris. Carry on.

9. eliminator

eliminator Valued Member

Actually I did mean it in the way you originally conceived. I think $135 is thievery.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I have no problem believing it, my friend. It's more a question of how it would be perceived by other people, since there was no accompanying explanation.

And, as I said before, you have every right to your position. Especially now that your position is clear to every potential reader.

Fair enough?

11. blindside

blindside Valued Member

For the original poster, how would you compare the material to Balicki's "Filipino Boxing" series?

12. eliminator

eliminator Valued Member

Fair enough

13. Ben Gash CLF

I've not seen Ballicki's, but judging from the trailer it's a bit more broad ranging (with Hubud and Dumog drills) and as a consequence likely less in depth. This one is all focus mitt drills.

14. jeff00

jeff00 New Member

Balicki

Get the Ron Balicki Filipino boxing series, it is extremly in depth and contains around 6 hours of footage over 3 dvd's, you wont be dissapointed.

I just picked it up off amazon for £35!

15. Ben Gash CLF

Lucky you, it's only up for £80 now.

16. Ben Gash CLF

Just to revisit this thread, I've now seen Balicki's set. It's very good, but as predicted it's less in depth but more broad ranging. The two sets would actually be very complimentary to each other. The Balicki one is more of a complete look at Kali empty hands, showcasing all 5 skills, whereas Sullivan's is primarily Panantukan. There are only elements of Kino Mutai and a little bit of Pananjakman, but there is easily as much Dumog and Hubud as there is Panantukan. In fact it is one of the most in depth Hubud instructionals I've seen. On the Panantukan front there's footwork drills and 2 man drills which the Sullivan one doesn't have, but obviously the focus mitt drills on the Sullivan one dwarf this one. Indeed you have to bear in mind that the Sullivan one is only marginally shorter and is just pad drills.

17. Brad P.

Brad P. New Member

Thanks Ben!

18. Powell Combat Arts

Powell Combat Arts New Member

19. Powell Combat Arts

Powell Combat Arts New Member

I have watched Ron Balicki's and Daniel Sullivan's DVD sets. In my opinion, the main difference is that Sullivan sticks with "striking" and Balicki covers striking, grappling, and take-downs. Panantukan or Filipino Boxing is a striking art. Sullivan is focused on that aspect of Filipino empty hand combat. On the other hand, Balicki shows a lot of Silat and Dumog. If you are interested in mainly striking (which I am), I suggest Sullivan. If you want an all-around introduction to Filipino Empty-hand combat, then watch Balicki. There is some overlap between the two since both of them were trained by Dan Inosanto.

Dead_pool and Simon like this.