Weightless Exercises Links

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by GhostRider, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

2. punchfast

punchfast New Member

3. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Found another great lil link ya'll may enjoy (not all is bodyweight, some is actually uhhh, improvised weights i'd guess you could say):

http://www.bigobb.com/ghetto.htm

4. nj_howard

nj_howard Valued Member

have any of you guys checked out any of the books by pavel tsatsouline? (www.dragondoor.com)

he seems to have some pretty good stuff, although it's a bit expensive. his book "the naked warrior" presents a strength training program based completely on 2 exercises (one-armed pushups and one-legged pistols).

i have used his book "relax into stretch", and had some good results. the book is very similar to the tom kurz bible ("stretching scientifically").

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Perfectly true. Doesn't mean what I said was untrue.

6. sozcaps

sozcaps Valued Member

So how does one do neurological training ? :confused:

7. Morne

Morne Valued Member

The Importance of Functional Fitness

THE IMPORTANCE OF FUNCTIONAL FITNESS
    By Aileen Swanepoel

“It is essential that you follow a scientifically developed training program which aids in developing explosive muscle tissue to perform at high intensity levels and muscle tissue that endures under extreme stress situations.”

It is important to develop an explosive muscle that will endure and work under resistance and not just develop a good looking muscle. This type of training is not “bodybuilding” designed to get you “ripped”. Yes, you will get stronger and more muscular.

Your body will also get more leaner. But the primary purpose of your conditioning training program is the development of functional fitness. This means strength, endurance and flexibility development. Most bodybuilders do not have functional, athletic muscles. Their muscles are tight, stiff and cramped developed to protrude. Most bodybuilders do not have much for endurance either nor are they very strong when it comes to a functional muscle.

THE CONSTITUENCY OF MUSCLES
    Muscles are made up of fibres. Each muscle works by contracting its individual fibres; this shortens the muscle and moves the joint on which it acts. Muscles are made up of two types of fibre known as fast and slow twitch fibres. The faster twitch fibres you have the better your ability for explosive bursts of activity, the slower twitch fibres you have the better your capacity for endurance exercise. There is no way of telling which type predominates without removing muscle tissue. (Biopsy)

Developing a functional muscle will include training with alive resistance i.e. against an opponent fighting back and isometric resistance training which is the best way to build strength and develop stamina, increase your fitness levels taking your endurance levels to new heights.

Resistance/conditioning exercises are for people who are healthy. They can be done by men and women. Children can do them too as well as people in their 40’s, 50’s and over as long as their health is good and they have no orthopedic problems. Beginner students start with very light resistance and will progressively add more resistance over time as their bodies and skills develop.

The duration of a training session is an average of 60–90 minutes long. The training is divided so that the training session commences with some warm-up and stretching exercises together with conditioning exercises such as “Hindu Squats”, “Hindu Push-ups” and Bridges.

Warming up and cooling down should be an integral part of your fitness training routine. A few minutes of skipping is highly recommended. Use an exercise routine to warm up your joints. Joints are vulnerable because muscles, tendons and ligaments attach there. Along with the slow warm-up movements, add movements that will ease and lubricate the joints into action. Cold muscles are much more likely to be injured, to warm up use the swing through, body twists, body circles, etc which put the big muscle groups through a variety of motions.
    The following is the types of cardio training you will expose your body to during your fitness routine:
    1. Aerobic/Cardio Training
    The purpose of aerobic/cardio training is to improve the efficiency of the oxygen delivery system and the efficiency with which the muscles produce energy. The benefits gained from aerobic/cardio training are enormous and include weight loss, increased life expectancy and an enhanced feeling of well-being.

To improve your level of aerobic/cardio fitness you should gradually exercise for longer periods of time and maintain a steady increase in the intensity of exercise. (Progressive Resistance) The best way to make exercise more intense is to cover a given distance over shorter periods of time or to “handicap” yourself by wearing wrist or ankle weights while you perform the exercise.

2. Anaerobic Exertion
    This exercise is of high intensity and usually brief duration, as in sprinting. It tends to foster mere muscle development.

3. Isometric Exertion
    Muscles are made to work against a static resistance so that they expend energy but do not produce movement. An example is pressing your hands palm-to-palm. This builds up muscle strength.

4. Isotonic Exertion
    Working muscles in a particular part of the body contract at varying speeds against a constant resistance. Lifting weights and sit-ups are both examples of this.

5. Isokinetic Exertion
    Exercise in which muscles contract at constant speed against varying degrees of resistance.

The time required to achieve functional fitness depends on the amount of training time you put in every week. You need to be committed to improving your health and to stick to the scheduled classes. As your condition improves, you need to push yourself harder, not less. The more you put into your training, the more benefits you will receive. Many people often astonishingly say that they want to first get fit before they start training, then you’ll be waiting forever. The main thing is that you BEGIN. To achieve functional fitness your training routine will include a cardio workout and resistance training (combat conditioning) for muscle development and toning. To cool down, reduce the exercise you are doing to a slow pace.

Morné Swanepoel’s JKD High Performance Street Fighting offers the chance for students to learn to defend him/herself in a street situation using realistic and functional training methods to ensure the development of a healthy body with High Performance orientated muscle toning i.e. endurance and explosion.

GUIDING PRINCIPLES AT OUR GYMS
    • Mental growth and stability. Positive thinking and a great attitude towards life and training is an important mind set we encourage.
    • International standards in our recognition and coaching.
    • Correct use of nutritional supplements to ensure peak performance.
    • A healthy diet and sufficient nutritional intake.
    • Healthy sleeping patterns.
    • Physical training routine to ensure the development of a healthy body with High Performance orientated muscle toning i.e. endurance and explosion.

The “Quick Start” curriculum hits all of the ranges and range transitions (moving from the kickboxing range into the clinch and down onto the ground), while prioritizing offence and defence for the most common street attacks. This sets the tone for the rest of the JKD HPSF (High Performance Street Fighting) curriculum. The student receives a working understanding of the entire scope of self defence, while developing a strong foundation for further JKD HPSF training. We have people start playing Performance games in the very first class, along with getting started with the most basic techniques to use in each range. The classes are vibey, filled with music used to motivate the student to push their training to their limits. We have training opportunity groups world wide and if you can not get to one of our studios for training, we can bring the training to you through our highly sophisticated long distance training program.

8. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

9. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

10. GhostOfYourMind

Not a site, so if it doesn't belong here, feel free to remove it mods, but here's some pushup variations I thought of (I'm sick, so I can't do anything at the moment, so if I can't do stuff, why not come up with stuff to do later.:()

H'ok, here we go in no particular order:

-Standard pushup
    -One arm pushup
    -One arm pushup on knees
    -One arm pushup with elevated feet
    -Pseudo planche pushup
    -Pseudo planche pushup on chairs
    -Planche pushups (have fun working up to those!)
    -Pseudo planche pushup on chairs
    -Diamond pushup
    -Diamond pushup with elevated feet
    -Standard pushup with elevated feet
    -Wide grip pushup
    -Wide grip pushup with elevated feet
    -Handstand pushup
    -Wide grip chair pushup
    -"Tiger Bend" pushup (mainly a tricep exercise, look on bronzebowpublishing.com or something of that nature)
    -Finger pushup
    -Finger pushup with feet elevated
    -Finger pushup on chairs
    -Knuckle pushup
    -Pushup on a ball of some sort
    -Pushup with one leg elevated (be sure to alternate every other set to work each side evenly)
    -Weighted pushup (requires some form of weight other than the body, possibly a partner, weight vest, or backpack full of weights.)
    -Resistance band pushup (requires, obviously, resistance bands).
    -Side pushup (was posted here some time ago, and VERY difficult.)
    -Divebomber pushup
    -Hindu pushup
    -One arm hindu pushup
    -One arm divebomber pushup

That's all I have so far at the moment. I can probably come up with some more, but be creative!:) Mix things, like doing elevated finger pushups or one arm finger pushups. Stuff like that. :D

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  11. munkiejunkie

Since I posted the side pushup in the first place, I will post it again

12. GhostOfYourMind

That's the thing that was posted here. Thanks for posting it (again)! :)

13. munkiejunkie

No problem, I just want to help all those people who like me can't afford or don't want to do weights

14. GhostOfYourMind

RIGHT ON! FIGHT THE POWAH!:D:D I know where you're coming from though.:)

BTW- that thing you posted is VERY difficult. The balance has to be one of the harder things lol!

15. Knight_Errant

With regards functional training, as some of you have this tendency to ignore whatever the more experienced or knowledgable of us have to say and go their own sweet way, here's an excerpt from an article by Eric Cressey.
    I guess you could add excessive use of muscular endurance exercises to the list including flourescent dildos. The full text of the article can be found here;
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=538765

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  16. mhyst

mhyst New Member

i'm really confused now.. everyone keeps saying stuff that makes sense and then someone else contradicts it and THAT makes sense :bang: but what i have out of this is that to be fast and strong i shouldn't do endurance training? does anyone have any links or ideas for strength and speed training then? if there are already some in the replies i'm really sorry.

17. Knight_Errant

Sure you should do endurance training. You can be as strong as you like, but if we don't have endurance and cardio, we don't have a fighter. It's a matter of intelligently fitting it in with your strength training.
    Nowadays, we call endurance workouts like that GPP workouts for General Physical Preparation. If you lift 3 days a week, you can probably fit in 2 or 3 good GPP workouts. Lift a bit less and you can add a bit more GPP.

18. ballast

ballast New Member