TCM and Hypothyroidism

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Igor, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Igor

Igor New Member

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

Is anybody familiar with TCM techiniques for dealing with Hypothyroidism?

Western medicine has me taking Synthroid for the rest of my life. Although this will make my hormone levels fit into the proper ranges, it doesn't correct the underlying problem and can actually make Thyroid function diminish further.

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Check out the thyroid site on about.com. They have lots of info there .... http://thyroid.about.com/

A Look at Traditional Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture for Thyroid Disease

Also many doctors are now prescribing "Armour Thyroid" or "Thyrolar" which are two medications that contain both of the body's own thyroid hormonesT3 and T4. Armour replaces ALL the thyroid hormones, synthroid just one.

Some other (homeopathic alternatives) suggest by Dr. Weil are:

Doing the shoulder stand. This yoga pose brings more blood to the thyroid and can benefit people with hypothyroidism. The stand is most effective when you simultaneously combine it with visualization (work with a practitioner of guided imagery).

Modifying your diet by reducing your intake of foods that can interfere with thyroid hormone production, particularly when eaten raw: These include cabbage, radishes, rutabagas, turnips, peaches, peanuts, soybeans, and spinach.

(http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cda.html-command=TodayQA-questionId=6063)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

The Link Queen strikes again. :D

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Kickchick has also replied :D

6. Igor

Igor New Member

Thanks for the links. It looks like there are some treatment options, but it's hard to tell what would be involved. I scheduled an appointment for this Thursday to try acupuncture and herbs. I hope that TCM can do more for the effects of Hypothyroidism (weight gain, depression, fatigue, aversion to cold) than Synthroid treatment which only seems to make the TSH, T3 and T4 numbers get into the proper range (from my experience at least).

7. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Make sure that you give the TCM treatment about a month-- it often takes time for the treatment to produce an effect.

8. Igor

Igor New Member

Thought I'd post an update. I've been going to acupuncture for the last couple months now and I've seen good improvements in my energy levels and I've become more tolerant of the cold. I've lost about 15 pounds (most of it during the first month) and my clothes continue to get looser.

The dr hasn't given me a timeline yet so it seems like I could be paying for these sessions for years right now...

9. Mad-about-Bagua

Mad-about-Bagua Valued Member

Igor, which country you in? You didn't say in your profile:

If you are in Sydney , may I recommend you this TCM doctor.
    He has training in both Western medicine and TCM and I have heard many good things about him. He told me he has fixed such problems as Hypothyroidism before, usually with a combination herbs and acupuncture .

http://cracker.com.au/classifieds/sydney/businesses/99006930.aspx

Peter Chen, Sydney Acupunture , Chinese Medicine & Natural Therapy

10. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

I know this post is really old but I thought I'd post anyway since I would imagine others will periodically stop in :) .

Treating hypothyroidism really depends on the cause. In developing nations the most common cause is iodine deficiency. In developed countries the most common cause is autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's thyroiditis). Rarely the cause is pituitary dysfunction (this is called "secondary hypothyroidism").

If a person has an iodine deficiency then supplementing with iodine-containing foods/herbs will be beneficial.

When hypothyroidism is caused by autoimmune disease usually medication to sustain hormone levels is the only option. Thyroid function will eventually decline and discontinue because of the antibodies.

AI hypoT like all AI diseases can go through times of remission and exacerbation of symptoms. It's hard to tell if a specific treatment is resulting in improvement or if it's a remission.

The traditional cause of thyroid disease is iodine deficiency and therefore most traditional remedies rely on boosting iodine intake. Obviously that's not going to benefit the person that has AI hypoT (and it may actually fuel the fire!).

Failing to replace deficient hormone levels with medication can cause serious if not deadly consequences. Treating thyroid issues with alternative medicine is not something I would ever feel comfortable doing without the help and guidance of a trained naturopathic dr who has experience with thyroid issues.

Keep in mind also that once a person is diagnosed with one AI disease they are prone to developing others. Many of the symptoms overlap and it's difficult to distinguish what disease may be causing what symptom. Tread cautiously when considering alternative treatments (you want to make sure you're treating the right thing; it's important to find someone with experience).

Focusing on balancing the body's OTHER endocrine glands and immune system can go a long way in improving a person's symptoms. It seems acupuncture has done this for Igor.

I will hopefully be seeing a naturopathic dr early next year for Hashimoto's thyroiditis (in Detroit, Michigan...Dr. David Brownstein). Although my thyroid levels are in range I continue to have physical symptoms of fluctuating between hypo and hyper thyroidism.

Kelly

P.S. Dr. Brownstein's site:

www.drbrownstein.com

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  11. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

I know I'm like, a year late, but I think the type of qigong I do could probably help. It increases secretion of all the various hormones and raises your metabolism. It greatly increases your circulation and often creates a pleasant feeling of being warm and toasty, so much that if I do it too close to bedtime I have to crank up the AC and stick my feet out from under the sheets to keep from sweating. I would imagine anything that has such effects could probably be of some help in this area. I would think using qigong to deal with hyperthyroidism much more difficult, but for releasing more energy as opposed to less, qigong is great.