Went to a Capoeira Class

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Pretty In Pink, May 12, 2017.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Regional (I don't know how to spell it) style. It was beginners stuff, but it was easy enough. A small class but I could do everything after a few tries. Really enjoyed it, hoping it gets difficult quickly though :D

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Was there music being played?

The string bow thing always looks great fun to play!

3. Pretty In Pink

Just a tambourine and an MP3. Learned a few songs/chants at the end. Turns out that's the thing I did actually suck at :D

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I was with you till you said tambourine!

hahahahha!

5. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

At least you get music. :(

6. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

You spelled it correctly. I'm sure it'll get difficult enough soon--especially if that particular group puts any focus on aerial movements. Enjoy your training and let us know how it goes when you get into a roda/rodinha!

7. Pretty In Pink

It doesn't seem to unfortunately. It seems to be a beginners class. Aerial is what I'm after :p

8. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

I always wanted to have a go at it. Not sure how I'd do at the mo since my current physical condition is a far cry from when I was heavily into anything acrobatic.

Sounds like a good laugh though. A place in Birmingham usually puts up events and open days (with food, so that got my attention) I might give it a go.

What can we expect from a beginner's class?

9. Pretty In Pink

Basic beginner movements, hand stands included in the warm up which was fun. The warm up I felt was tough for a beginners class but I got through it just fine. The instructor was very helpful and catered to all skill level for sure.

Gonna go this Friday if I can.

10. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Sorry to hear that. Any idea how long people go through the beginner's stage there?

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty sure it's only fundamentals. Not fussed though. Next time I go I'll give an update.

dormindo likes this.
  12. Pretty In Pink

So the next time turned out to be tonight. Me and one other guy because it's Christmas. I'm a really fast learner so she said we went through about a months worth of capoeira lessons in an hour. Boosted my ego if nothing else.

Turns out they DO Rhoda (sp) I just need to sign the waiver first. Hope fully get that done before new year.

There is also a kickboxing sparring class just before it and a wrestling class. I can do one or the other and maybe even all three if I play my cards right.

Exciting times.

axelb, hewho, Mitch and 1 other person like this.
  13. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Oh to be in my 20's again!!!

Travess

14. Pretty In Pink

Mate I'm getting old. I've got quite a few probably-permanent injuries. My left knee for one. My back every now and again, and so many headaches.

15. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

o_O

Well, now I've seen everything...

16. Pretty In Pink

Just in case of injury.

On that note, my knees feel really tight and achey. Like they've just aged 20 years. I've always had loose ligarments though, so this is probably a good thing.

17. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I get that, it's just something I've literally never seen done before. Kinda makes me wonder what the heck kind of rodas are they running. :D

Anyway, have fun and don't beat up anyone who doesn't have it coming (you'll know the type when you see them). ;)

18. Pretty In Pink

Are DOMS common when starting capoeira? Get sore legs and knees every time. Although I have very weak knees anyway. A nurse checked my ligaments and said they were a bit too "loose". She recommended body weight squats (which I never did). So now I'm doing capoeira I figure my knees are actually just getting stronger.

19. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I usually get DOMS the first time or two I do something my body isn't used to, whether that's yoga, weight training focused on muscles I haven't been working in a while, or a new martial art I'm taking up (or haven't been to in weeks).

20. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

DOMS occurs with any physical activity that is strenuous and either new or beyond what your body is adapted to.

Pretty In Pink and axelb like this.