UFC 207...

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Ok... so is it safe to say now that Edmond is not qualified to even coach a little league team? Are we finally to the point that we can say he has absolutely no business coaching anyone in striking? Ronda's striking defense is literally WORSE then it was when she fought Holm. What kind of hand position is that? All Amanda had to do was throw straight punches down the middle. If the Holm fight didn't put to bed the Cyborg issue this should forever. Cyborg would of savagely beaten Ronda Rousey into a bloody pulp. It angers me so much because I feel Ronda has the potential to be great but her coach has completely failed her. That seriously looked like a bully beatdown World Star Hip Hop video. I say it again, every fighter Edmond gets his hands on has a punch magnet for a face. That looked like Marina Shafir's last fight in fast forward. I don't wager Ronda will ever come back after this, and so much wasted potential because she refused to listen to her mother and other people who advised her to find a real camp. Imagine what she could of been if she went to Tristar, or AKA, etc?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Nice to see you CS. Where you been?

3. Combat Sports

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

That was heartbreaking.

It wasn't about skill or lack of it, Holm broke her spirit, it's just no one knew it until tonight.

I have seen fighters broken after a fight, fighters who were never the same, but never that bad!

The look of panic on her face after the very first hit. I have never seen someone just so mentally broken as a fighter. That was awful to watch.

I watched with some fellow students. One really dislikes her intensely, but he felt bad for her. He couldn't even enjoy that loss.

I like Nunes, I am happy for her. I was fine with whoever won. But I would have liked it to be a better showing.

Because all the naysayers are going to discredit all her accomplishments and her skill. And IMO, she was great! Her Judo was a thing of beauty. She is the reason we have women in the UFC. She was not the best striker, but she was an skilled and amazing champion. And now some people are going to deny that.

She won't be back. She doesn't have it in her anymore. I hope she can redefine herself and be happy.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

6. holyheadjch

Well, that wasn't entirely unexpected, but I doubt anyone expected it to be quite that bad. This is what happens when you fail to learn from your mistakes. Instead of following the advice of basically everyone, including her mother, and spending the last 13 months learning how to move her head off the centreline, she seems to have doubled down on her weaknesses and actually gotten worse at striking defence.

I can only assume that they don't spar in Glendale, because that deer in the headlights look is classic 'beginner who doesn't know what being punched in the face feels like'.

She should just retire now and preserve what little legacy she has left. On the plus side, her hourly rate for that beatdown is in the region of $225,000,000 per hour.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

8. Combat Sports

Sad but true. That's what makes me scratch my head. My daughter learned more about keeping her hands up and maintaining distance then apparently a professional fighter learned in years.

Did you like the Banana Split and the Spladle in the second video? :)

9. holyheadjch

The girls got some serious moves.

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yep good sing Edmund is awful. Its not that Rousey has horrible striking, that's fine, its that she so clearly believed it wasn't. She's so delusional about her skill set because of him stroking her ego

11. Southpaw535

As an additional point having just watched the prelims, I misunderstood what the rule changes for grounded opponent were and watching the Olivera fight, I disagree with the changes. Get why so many commissions are refusing to adopt it.

12. holyheadjch

Were they using the new rules? And as I understood it, the new grounded opponent rules were for people putting a single hand down. That wouldn't explain any confusion.

13. Southpaw535

Mod note

Keep the thread on topic please mate. If you want to post videos of your kids and talk about them start a new thread for it.

Nice to see you posting again though :)

14. Southpaw535

Nope, new rules come into play on the 1st. That's what made it so confusing is Rogan asked the head commissioner dude who was there and he said they were legal. That's what's led to most of my confusion and reading around the controversy with this seems like it should be less about the legality of the knees but the fact the Commission official there specifically to comment on the rules for commentary doesn't know what they are.

15. Combat Sports

Was just explaining what I was up to. :)

16. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Where to start with Rousey ? First by saying can we put to the « she could beat Floyd Mayweather and half the men in her weight class” nonsense away, now? Someone who gets beat that unceremoniously, it’s not because of one weakness in their game but a multitude.

Everyone knows Rousey’s boxing is BAD. A quick look at her shadowboxing shows a multitude of technical flaws there. She’s an arm puncher: Overextension of the elbow, over rotation of the wrists, all flailing of the arms and no power generation from the hips etc. Her footwork is equally as bad. All straight lines with very little to zero circular movement. No head movement either – it stays straight, aligned with her upper body and makes a nice little target for quality strikers to hit again and again and again.

Like judokas she’s not a shooter and stays very upright in all she does on her feet, which includes her grappling. Her head never changes levels or planes level, making a striker’s job even easier - and her head a punching bad when she attempts to get closer. She has to clinch first and box a little to get there. Back to square 1: her boxing is horrible and having to get to her strengths via her biggest weakness only compounds her problem. Whatever striking abilities she does have, she need to use as a set up to get to the clinch and from there her takedowns. Problem is she doesn’t or can’t against elite strikers, and won’t be able to until it gets significantly better. So even her grappling, or at least her set ups to get there needs work.

Last but not least, she does appear to be have a very fragile psyche for this line of work. Off the ring first: Bad queenly attitude when she’s on top and no courage to face the music when she loses. I get it, it’s embarrassing to lose when you’ve been heralded as the greatest thing since whatever, but McGregor showed character and took his loss to Diaz with mental fortitude. Rousey hid for months after Holm and most likely will again this time around.

Then on the ring, the last 2 fights have magnified how quickly she mentally crumbles when things go south. From a technical standpoint, there was no plan B either, and that’s on her coach (on whom you can pin a lot of her technical problems and nonexistent progress). Among other indefensible things her coach is responsible for, the word is that Rousey didn’t spar at all in her training. That explains the deer in headlight look she showed when she started eating punches. She’s simply doesn’t train for it and is not used to itHer refusal to switch camps when so many people thought she should is probably her manifestation of her unwillingness to go from being a big fish in a small pond to “another” fighter in a gym full of elite athletes, so it’s not like it’s all on Tarverdyan either. Not making the necessary decisions to allow her to grow as a fighter is squarely on her.

There’s more to say but sadly I have a job to get back to… poop.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

ive heard rumours she broke her jaw badly in the holly fight, which if true, would explain the lack of sparring, but if it is true then she shouldnt of been fighting until she was sparring again.

She doesn't have to switch camps fulltime, but she definitely needs to train elsewhere too.

My money is on her retiring and never fighting again.

18. holyheadjch

She isn't going to work her way through the division, which is what she needs to do after two bad losses. She should take her mountains of money and go lie on a beach somewhere and live out a happy life out of the spotlight.