Judging the Bujinkan from outside

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Dunc, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

is that the crazy shinto priest guy? That video was scary(watched it awhile back), glad I'm not in Canada. Another good example of why you should learn from the source...

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Hence my "even remotely consider" caveat.....he was the best of the three by a mile too

3. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yeah not a great showing I'm sorry to say

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Hey at least it was a showing, I'll give them that. There are still people who think things have to be secret hidden cult practice behind closed doors never to be seen by the public. I mean have you seen some people in CMAs :D

5. Hannibal

Yup - and that is THREE different schools in one city....this is why the "outside judgement" flies a bit thick and fast, because this is all we often have to judge it on

6. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

That's a fair point

Us MAP ninjers have been saying for a long time that there are a lot of folk quietly training in a more sincere (& I believe) practical manner

And there does seem to be a big difference between the European and American approaches - likely influenced by the "pioneer teachers"

7. SWC Sifu Ben

Careful. It seems some of the ninja folks don't take too kindly to empiricism 'round these here parts :D

8. Hannibal

Thing is I have SEEN the "good stuff" - the refusal to share any of it frankly baffling, because it isn't any top secret or special technique at all

I think it is cultural snobbery to be honest

9. SWC Sifu Ben

Yeah but I've had the same experience with wing chun and I've seen people have the same experience in other CMA's. Which is why I'm only hard on the lack of video from the "you don't have empirical evidence to back your statements" side of things.

Bruce was the one who went off on the methodology and lack of evidentiary process. China and Japan both have more of a bent toward cultural traditionalism. This is an expression of it. Also the reason why being between cultures he was free to break out of that
    /off topic

10. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Yeah. The problem is these arts, because of some of the aspects, tend to attract some....interesting folks.

11. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Some people like their privacy and feel no need to "show stuff".

Whether they feel it is "secret" may not be the issue.

12. Hannibal

Possibly....but they also teach and get paid for it so clearly there is SOMETHING they are selling

Hell if The Boss puts out videos then I cannot see the argument myself

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Oh God, the confidence that they espouse is terrifying.