Karate supplies for kids NZ

Discussion in 'Karate' started by gemtkd, Jun 6, 2016.

1. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Hi guys

It's been a long time since I've been on the forum, though I was mainly on the tkd one.

My 9 year old has recently started karate. It's JKA/WKF I believe. I'm having trouble finding child sparring gear in Nz for her. Does anyone know any sites I could look at? Most of the gear I've found is for adults.

Also, any tips for helping her practice? While I've been only helping when asked I've restricted myself to helping with stretching and working a little on side kick.

2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Have you tried?

www.zenjo.co.nz/protective-gear/

Their sizes do not specifically list children, but they have pictures of kids modeling the kit, so?

Travess

3. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Thanks for responding. Those gloves look pretty good. What about thumbs vs no thumbs? I've not a clue.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Good to see you back around the place.

5. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I've been out of practice for about 4 years. I have missed it here.

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Definitely ask the instructor. Karate clubs can be funny about the type of padding that they require, especially if they compete. Governing bodies will often disqualify someone for wearing the wrong type of mitts in a tournament, so it's always best to find out what the standard is for your club. Usually, though, teachers will have a source for the type of pads that they require. Many sell them themselves.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  7. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Thanks, I'll have a word with him on Wednesday. There's no major rush, but I have to be completely organised in my head. Know what I need, where to go to get it etc. and it's a bit out of my comfort zone as I only did karate for about 6 months when I was 9, no have no real knowledge, and while a little of the tkd knowledge helps, it doesn't really if that makes sense

8. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Also, competition wise what protective gear do children have to have? Both girls (7&9) are now attending class. The first comp they *might* attend will be November. Do they need chest and head protection?

To add it's the girls who are keen to compete, the instructor said November at minimum. He loves how keen they are but they need to be brought back down to earth after each training session. Personally I think it's good, they absolutely love karate.

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Ask the instructor. Competitions can vary from no protection to something approaching a TKD hogu. There's no way of knowing which this is without asking someone who is involved in the organisation.