The plank...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bodyshot, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

So it's hiit in Japanese?

2. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

But only using one exercise right

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It was developed by Izumi Tabata developing training for Olympic Speed Skaters. I would say it can be classified as a HIIT style of training, but it's much more high intensity than HIIT and shorter in duration. I dropped 40 lbs in 2 months working my way up to doing 4 separate exercises (mainly tire flips, burpees, squat thrusts, and med. ball slams) for four separate tabata intervals (32 minute workout) resting only 1 min between each tabata set/exercise. Diet also played a part. It also brought my 3 mile run time to 20 min (I did little running prior, and certainly nothing past 1.5 miles).

It's a very effective method of working out but you have to be in some kind of shape to actually make use of it. Whenever I do the protocol or show people how to do it I tell them to do an exercise (we'll use burpees) for 20 sec. as fast as they can, then try their hardest to hit that number for ever 20 sec. round. It usually ends up with doing 1 or 2 reps on the 8th round because it blows you out that much.

You don't have to do one exercise and can implement a circuit to do the protocol. It is best to involve as many muscle groups as possible though to get the most benefit. You should really google "Tabata Protocol" and read up on it, you'll get way more in depth info and implementation on it.

4. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Cool cheers for that. I've done that with burpees before. I also do burpes with a barbel above head no jump. Also in front of the bag. These may be silly I don't know. They seem to feel good

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Nah, that's not silly at all. I've done burpees with a heavy bag before (you grab a heavy bag, jumping and lift it above your head at the same time) and I will probably never do them again like that.

But either way, we're moving off bodyweight training :p

6. LemonSloth

Oh don't you? Oh, well that'll probably help somewhat :eek:

The main source of the pain though is in the ligaments that hold the shin bone together, the Achilles heel and up the outside of my ankle (all on my right leg). I'll try putting down a towel though, see if it helps.

Lol, fair play to you. I have to admit, it's been bugging me for a while, but I kinda guessed you might have been hoping for that reaction :p

And here your awesome mind has lost me. Could be a case of Sennin-dementia :D

7. Ero-Sennin

Is the foot that is the point of contact pronated or supinated? If it's supinated (or you're trying to supinate the foot) than I can definitely see you having some serious ankle pain! I always have my foot pronated and the point of contact is the side of my foot and ankle bone. I'm sure some people can balance on the blade of their foot but I've never had a hard time having a hard time doing side planks by having my foot like that.

I'm glad Bo Staff has been irking you slightly, made my day : D

You get bonus points if you find the random reference to boxing being a sport and not a martial art. It's likely to be a thread on the home page : D : P

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  8. LemonSloth

Once my mad google-fu skills came in handy, I managed to figure out I am indeed a "supinator". I should probably try the other way just to see if it works.

Oooh, I'm gonna go huntin' fer boxing schtuff, see if I can get your reference :)

9. Ero-Sennin

Lol, that's almost like doing pushups with your fingers facing your feet :p. I can only imagine how painful that would be to try and do for me if I were wearing shoes too!

Hint on the boxing comment: "ninjutsu"

10. LemonSloth

I never try with shoes, I go barefoot like a boss :p

I had to google how you're supposed to do it the other way actually, it just seems alien to me.

I have to admit defeat. I had a nosey through the ninjutsu thread, I still haven't found the reference. Help a poor old blind sloth out?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  11. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy

You might want to google a planche and pseudo-planche-pushups.

12. Ero-Sennin

Regular pushups Jeffkins! REGULAR! :yeleyes:

13. Ero-Sennin

I have to admit defeat. I had a nosey through the ninjutsu thread, I still haven't found the reference. Help a poor old blind sloth out?[/QUOTE]

Correct form in a lot of stuff seems alien to everybody. I used to run like a cartoon character (leaning way back so my head was behind my feet!) until I learned correct running form : P.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1074784524#post1074784524

Post 50 and 53

14. LemonSloth

Oh my goodness, that was so worth reading. Epic, just epic :D

15. B.A. Baracus

B.A. Baracus Valued Member

lower back exercise

If you need to strengthen your abs and lower back I would suggest doing Frog Kicks.
    Basically a frog kick is where you hang from a chin up bar and slowly bring your knees to your chest and then let them back down. I find this works my back and lower abs very well. You can play around with reps and sets but I would suggest 25 reps/set and just do as many sets as you can.

I also like planking. several sets of 2min planks will get you ripped FAST.

16. Kurai

Kurai Valued Member

My ortho recommended planks to help recover from a back injury. Seems to be helping. Still trying to find the right form for me, so this thread has been really useful.