Title fight loss. You win or you learn!

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Unreal Combat, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Here's footage from my title fight last weekend for the WKA English Super Middleweight K1 Rules Kickboxing Title. Unfortunately I lost this one but as they say you either win or you learn.

https://youtu.be/EU2LH3DEvgY

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Props for posting this Lei.

As you know I've already watched the fight and thought your clinch work was excellent.

I was also impressed by the way you slipped those heavy overhand shots, especially in the early rounds.

You should be really proud.

Looking forward to meeting up again at the MAP Meet.

Anyone else impressed should look to come along to the meet to train with Lei, who is not only an incredible martial artist, but a great person.

3. Unreal Combat

Thanks for the kind words Simon.

I'm sure there will be much for the internet to critique but at the end of the day you don't learn how to fight at the computer. :)

I enjoyed this fight. It was my hardest fight yet. I had a few things going against me (long distance travelling, late weigh in, being admitted to hospital a few days before), and it had been well over two years since I last fought competitively, but at the end of the day I got in there and had a good go against a WKU & WKA Area champion.

I won't be leaving it so long before I get back in the ring again. You can count on that. ;)

4. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Although the result didn't go your way on the night, you did nothing 'wrong' in your approach and it was by no means 1 sided (baring in mind my knowledge/experience in K1 is solely as a spectator) - Plus you got in the final shot (a right Knee) of the bout, which is a strong note to end on...

One of my favourite sayings/perspectives, when it comes to sparring and/or competition.

You've already acknowledged a few external factors, the long layoff since your last bout being a fairly big one, so I'd saying some of the 'learning' process has already taken place.

Regards

Travess

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  5. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

REALLY impressive job, mate! :) I don't follow kickboxing well, so pardon my asking and my ignorance-there are a few times where it *seems* like the ref broke the clench quite a bit sooner than really necessary. What's that about?

6. Unreal Combat

Clinch is limited in K1 Rules Kickboxing.

You can clinch and knee but unless you hold with one hand only you have to let go after the first knee.

It is only MMA and Muay Thai where clinch is unrestricted with multiple strikes allowed when holding with two hands.

7. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I think you did quite well working off the ring rust after that stretch away. I can see what you were self critiquing about your punches but to be honest I'm still quite impressed. You landed some nice shots. You were in the hospital not long before and you still came out a gave a great fight! :)

Really enjoyed your footwork and overall movement by the way!

8. Masked_Master

Masked_Master New Member

9. Unreal Combat

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

I came away from this fight feeling I performed alot worse than people think I did. I guess if people enjoyed watching the fight that's all that matters really. :)

10. Unreal Combat

First session back at the gym tonight. I walked right into my coach informing me that the promoter has invited me back to the show for a rematch.

Finding it hard to say no really. :)

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I picture Micky from Rocky giving you a motivational speech.

12. Unreal Combat

Haha. It wasn't quite like that. :)

13. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Nut him, oh wait nevermind.

Question, might not be related to this thread. But how did you get into doing competitions?

(i wanted something more than that terrible joke)