New Bujutsu section?

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by JediMasterChris, Dec 18, 2003.

1. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Is it possible that there could be added a Bujutsu section? There is a growing number of people who do these arts, plus when little kids come on here wanting to be like Samurai and do stuff with swords and spears and stuff mabey this section could educate them about what it really is.

Bujutsu is basically an ancient set of arts like the Samurai practiced, it includes Yarijutsu, Jujutsu, Kusarigamajutsu, Tantojutsu, Kenjutsu, Battojutsu, and many, many other old arts.

I've heard a number of people ask.... what's "kenjutsu?" etc.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2003
  2. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

That a pretty broad topic, it covers weapons to empty hand styles... be kind of tough. I think there may be a large enough Sword arts, ie Battojutsu, Kenjutsu, iaido, kendo etc etc to merit a Japanese sword arts forum.

3. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Yeah I suppose..... but doesn't look like the admins really want to...

4. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

I think it would be a great idea and people really need to be educated on the other Japanese weapon arts without starting a thread on Ninja clothes and other idiotic stuff like that.

5. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Yeah seriously.... I asked what art somebody did in chat and they said they did "Samurai"..... lol

Then we've got our friend trunks wanting to do his karate/kendo thing to be like anime characters, geesh. People should know what the arts are really about...

6. Jim

Jim New Member

Why not just use JuJutsu or Ninjutsu or Weapons threads? There's tending to be too many different 'branches' starting for no good reason IMO.

7. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Mabey i'm wrong, but there gets to be a disabled persons thread, ( I have no problem with it, it's great) but more people do/have done Kendo/Kenjutsu/Iaido/Battojutsu than there are truly disabled people, yet they get their own thread, and it can easily be discussed in General and Q&A....

Oh well, YODA already told me there isn't going to be one and he's admin, so I'd better forget about it.

8. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

There's way's of asking JMC!

Sword's are very specific, maybe a weapons section?

Don't whine though. ;)

9. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I'm not whining, sorry if it sounds like that.

And I did ask Yoda, he said something along the lines of "it can be covered in other topics"

I said to him "Okay"

I didn't whine.

10. Andy Murray

So what's wrong with the current weapons section in your opinion?

Completely unrelated, but have you read 'By the Sword' by Robert Cohen?

11. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Well, nobody wants to discuss stuff like Kendo Techniques or Waza in the weapons section, they want to discuss "Were cN I buyy some NUmshaks!? THANK UYYYY SWurd are so cul I want to thrwo them at stuf an cut me ahnd off!" or "WHt weaopen is bester? : Numsuk, Nukle dustr/brass nukle, sord, SY? VOTE plz"

If we had a place for the arts I think people might discuss them more seriously, I don't think it should be put in the same section as the ones the little sword ninja anime kids post in. And mabey they could read what it's really about. I'd also like to learn more about other peoples sword ryu and how they do things...

No, I might though, what does it talk about?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2003
  12. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

I think it's a good idea!
    It's a chance to educate some people about the topic. Not to mention have a decent discussion without having some kid come in and ask where he can get some weapons!

Good thinkin' JMC!

13. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

I like the idea myself too. I think theres enough of us here with knowledge in that field for a new section.

14. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Glad to see you guys agree! :D

15. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Nothing is wrong with the current weapons section. The traditional japanese sword arts are pretty popular right now and they do have ALOT of depth to them unlike most other traditional japanese weaponry.

For an example, You wont find Kali discussed under the weapons section, even though they primarily use sticks and knives. Most FMA is stick and knife fighting but yet they have their own section.

FOr the sword arts alone there is,

Kenjutsu
    Kendo
    Iaido
    and botojutsu

I know I am missing one or two, Im sure some one can fill in the blanks.

Not many other weapons have so many disciplines covering the sword's usefulness. Volumes alone have been written about the different parts/names of the katana and the different variations of the sword over time. Just my .02

Last edited: Dec 21, 2003
  16. Andy Murray

OK guys, the Mods'll debate it out.

In the meantime if you want more quality discussion on these topics, perhaps you should consider setting an example and kick off a few well thought out threads to see what interest they draw.

If there's a problem with the anime brigade, just holler.

17. Andy Murray

The history of the sword and duelling all over the world.

Absolutely brilliant, written by a former Olympic fencer now living in Manhattan, though he's a UK guy originally.
    He's done his homework.

18. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Thanks for taking time to consider the idea, I'll post a couple of threads in the weapons section in the next few days, and if there ends up being a section for this mabey they could be moved there?

Oh yeah, I'll check out the book as soon as I can too. ;)

19. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Thank you Andy

20. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Thanks Andy!