aiki toys

Discussion in 'Aikido Resources' started by Jordan, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

what kind of toys/ training tools can I make besides the weapons and the ball? This would help alot thanks :D

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

A very large padded mat, and a shomen wall? :confused:

Some background context might aid us in understanding your question.

3. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

what are some of the newest aiki toys/ training tools? :confused:

4. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

I would think a heavybag and a makiwara would be useful in your aikido as well ;)

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

what ball :confused: I've never used a ball in Aikido :confused: Does it have steel studs and spikes on it ... with a chain :yeleyes: :confused: :yeleyes:

6. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

the ball just represents the circle style in aikido, Tenkan movement. It also is kinda big in ki society.

7. aikiMac

Heh heh heh! That's funny! AikiWolfie is a 3rd dan in the Ki Society but he doesn't know about their BALLS ! :p :p

8. wudangfajing

wudangfajing Banned Banned

aiki toys - this just sounds like a full functioning multivibrator. :D

sorry no help!

Enjoy your aiki toys!

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I trained with an independent teacher who used to be part of the Ki Society. But later choose to follow Ken Williams when he left. But that was all before my time :p

:cry: and I'm disappointed there was no studs, no spikes and no chain :cry:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  10. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

What's a "shomen wall" for heaven's sake ?

The highest place in the dojo isn't represented by a wall.

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Apparently in some places it is.

12. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

Incorrectly.. apparently

13. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

The proper terminology for aiki toy is UKE!!

regards koyo

14. aikiMac

But according to Doctor Google the term is widely used! It's the front wall of the training area where some sort of small aikido shrine is built or, if the dojo is shared with other groups, placed. A bokken, flowers, a picture or two of OSensei, and Japanese caligraphy are common items. At the beginning and end of class everyone bows in unison toward the little shrine on the shomen wall.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  15. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

The 'wall' its self isn't significant at all.

The shomen is denoted by the presence of the kamiza hence traditionally the dojo forms from that position. Kamiza may be very simple containing just a photograph or other significant object relative to the budo studied but regardless of the content, it does not require a wall on which to sit or hang

What happens for instance if the "dojo" doesn't have a wall on which to position a kamiza ? Indeed a dojo does not need to be within the confines of a building or structure so how does that feature with your understanding ?

16. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

LMAO :D

17. Blast

Blast Valued Member

I know a training tool we use seldom, a blindfold! I also heared a story of one of my teachers that told that they had trained with a teacher who used rubber bands. They were used to keep your elbow banned (so you don't try things with your hands while doing your moves or something).

@ aikiwolfie: rofl :p
    (don't worry about it, it's not your fault no1 ever showed you how to do aikido with a ball, no1 is perfect).

18. Brat

Brat Return of the Brat!!!

Agreed.

If you want to make something, personalize your Bokken and Jo. If you're still not satisfied, go find a blacksmith and learn to make a katana. That ought to keep you occupied a while.

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I now have visions of Brat making swords A-Team style from bamboo and iron sand with a furness she made from bubblegum and spit. :)

20. Brat

Brat Return of the Brat!!!

You have one heck of an imagination Aiki...

It was made of popsicle sticks and sugar....

I wonder why the fire spread so fast though?!?!?

:p :p :p :p :p