Tiger,Crane, and Dragon question

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by benj, Feb 20, 2006.

1. benj

benj New Member

Forgive me if this is a basic question. There is a school in my area that states it teaches the "system of the tiger,crane,and dragon." I have seen schools that teach the animal styles in differnet combinations and seperately but not in this combination. Is this an actual system or something that the school might have put together? Im going to the school this evening but figured I would post the question anyway. Thanks for any information.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  2. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

Kung Fu is not mix and match animals to create your own system. Animals per se are not the styles.

Ask them what style(s) they teach; if they restate this, stay away.

Note: I know there are exceptions; I myself train in Fujian White Crane Kung Fu; but again, this is not the name of the animal. It is the name of the style.

3. benj

benj New Member

Thanks for the information Guizzy. It just didnt sound right to me when they called it a system like that. I have been trying to research the different styles and gain some knowledge before making a commitment. I will be sure to ask them. Also any information that you could share about your White Crane training would be appreciated. Thanks again.

4. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Yeah. . . . . the only "individual" animal-name STYLES I know are. . .

Fukien White Crane
    Eagle Claw
    Northern Mantis
    Southern Mantis
    Southern Dragon Shape
    Fu Jow (Tiger Claw) Pai
    Shantung Black Tiger

Otherwise, many of the Southern styles will have the "5-animal" FORM that includes Snake, Tiger, Dragon, Crane, and Panther.

That school sounds pretty fraud.

At first I think he was some alter ego of Sanj due to the name, but after reading his posts this guy is actually normal and cool.

Welcome.

5. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Doesn't sound traditional to me but who knows! Has the school got a website?

6. Shaolin Shi

Shaolin Shi Valued Member

Could be they teach Hung Gar (Tiger/Crane) and Southern Dragon.

Do they have a website?

7. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Don't forget dog boxing, black crane, or monkey.

8. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Lets not make any rash hasty preconceptions about a school we still know very little about. Go in and talk to them. If they say they teach tiger/crane/dragon, there are a variety of styles that could fit either partially or completely within that statement, including but not limited to:
    - Tiger Claw
    - Black Tiger (If they say they teach this I would question their lineage)
    - Tibetan White Crane, which depending on how far a correlation they make could also include styles like Lama Pai and Hop Gar.
    - Fukien White Crane
    - Southern Dragon
    - Dragon Style Bagua
    - Pai Lum White Dragon
    - Hung Gar (Tiger/Crane)
    - Choy Lay Fut (Has things like Tiger Vs Crane)
    - Wing Chun (crane/snake)

For all we know, the guy could even just teach 3 of the 5 animals from 5-animal shaolin.

=\
    I wasnt aware that there was a southern shaolion system that did 5-animal shaolin. From what I know, and my personal experiences and past training in 5-animal shaolin, the 5-animal system is a Northern system...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  9. benj

benj New Member

Thank you everyone for the responses. I didnt get a chance to get there last night but did call before the classes started. Only talked to an answering machine with no callback as of yet. http://www.geocities.com/umara2000/schools/schoolgd.html This is the link to the website. Thank you in advance for any feedback you have on the website.

10. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

The problem here is that if they can't even name their style right, either they are taking benj for an idiot that couldn't look up what the name of the style meant, or they are talking about a style no one ever heard about (and quite possibly a fraud).

The site doesn't give enough info about the styles to make a definitive statement. The styles listed seem weird; and some of his creditentials seem overblown. However, I do not get the McDojo vibe either.

While it's a noble cause, I think that's being a little nosey.

As we've previously stated, no one heard of a Tiger, Crane and Dragon style.

Invincible White Crane Kung Fu? Never heard of it, neither have I heard about Internal White Crane. The chinese names they give to the styles do not match with either the Min Nan or the Cantonese names for White Crane. Since they claim to have an heritage from the Fujian temple, I would expect they would have their name in either of these languages.

The instructor also claims a 10th Degree Gold Sash in White Crane. If degrees are roughly similar to what we have in Fujian White Crane (and most martial arts, for that matter) 10th degree would be head of the style.

Yang-style Tai Chi, however, you will find practionners of here (well, more in the Tai Chi forum). Perhaps they can help you better.

7 Star Praying Mantis; I don't know.

My advice? Personally I'd stay away from there. If there's no other kung fu school around and you really want to do kung fu, well just make sure you remain critical when you talk to him.

11. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

National MA of China? :confused:

Never heard of Invincible White Crane, and the only search resultf orit gOes back to the schools Website.

Same for Ching Lung Kuo Shu.

I dont like to judge schools based just on their websites, I'd say go down there and check it out and see for yourself.

Good luck with finding a good Kwoon. ;)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  12. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I know for a fact that Choy Lay Fut and Hung Ga does, and I'm quite certain that Hung Fut and Jow Ga also has them.

I'm not sure about the other 4 Southern Families: Lee Ga, Mok Ga, Choy Ga, Fut Ga.

I know the Hakka Fists don't have it, and Wing Chun. . . . . but those are a different "breed" than the typical wide-horse styles like CLF, HG, HF, etc. . . . .

Peace

13. benj

benj New Member

Thanks again for the help everyone. I will probably just stop by there because Im curious how they will answer some of my questions. I was really interested in the 7 star mantis that there web site states they teach. Anyway I will be moving to NYC in the next six months so I know I wont have a problem finding a school there. I really wanted to start learning now is the problem. Thanks again everyone. This was my first time posting in the forum and it was very helpful. I appreciate the replies.

14. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

According to this sites directory of seven star PM schools:

http://www.authentickungfu.com/seven_star/mantis_links.html

I don't know if that gives him credibility or not.

There are glaring inconsistencies in his site like:

"Grandmaster S. L. Martin promoted to 10th Degree Black Belt by the "World Kuoshu-Kung Fu Federation"" . . . "making Grandmaster Martin the highest ranking non-Asian White Crane teacher in the world."

So, what does kuoshu kung fu have to do with white crane? Nothing.

Searching the various styles like:

"Ching Lung Kuo Shu"

"Ta Hao Chuan"

"Pai Hur Chuan Chi-Kung"

"Chee Hsing Tong Leong Chuan"

Yeilds nothing but links to his websites. Although the way he wrote out seven star praying mantis is basically right (Chi Xing Tang Lang is how I found it).

I'm willing to bet this website is a pack of lies. He probably teaches kuoshu kung fu (whatever that is) and maybe SSPM. You should ask onyomi or DJ or some of the other seven star folks and ask them about the guy.

15. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Well.. Being listed on my kwoons website as a school for mantis boxing doesn't really make it the genuine article.. Its mainly meant to be a thorough compilation of mantis kwoons nationwide. Some are very valid and good schools.. Some I am not so sure of.

I would inquire heavily into his mantis knowledge and see what he knows. Personally I think its a crock. I mean how can one man know that many styles? All the great historical masters of chinese styles knew at most 2-3 styles. None as many as what this man suggests nor styles that I've never heard of until today.

I'll leave it at this.. If he's really a grandmaster, He would be more known. I'll ask my sifu about him at class and see what I can dig up. Do some personal research on the fellow.

16. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Ahhh dude you should check out the White Eyebrow school there.

www.pakmeinyc.net

17. benj

benj New Member

Well I finally was able to speak to someone over the phone. I was going to go and see for myself but when I asked about the 7 star mantis, I was told that it was only taught to their advanced students. Im just going to wait until I make my move to NYC.

18. benj

benj New Member

Thanks for the link Infrazael. Im not too familiar with the style but I will look up some information on it. Im not moving until June so I have some time to look into some of the different styles offered in the city.

19. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Hakka styles are VERY VERY VERY hard to find. If you have the chance. . . . go. . .. learn. . . .

send a PM to Mushroom as he does Bak Mei.

But just for sheer rarity, it's worth taking up. And the guys legit so yeah.

20. Shen Yin

Shen Yin Sanda/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Yes there is. I'm a product of it.