History, Philosophy, and Gung Fu of Shaolin

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Sandy, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Hi everyone,

Has anybody read The Shaolin Grandmasters' Text: History, Philosophy, and Gung Fu of Shaolin Ch'an by the Order of Shaolin Ch'an?

If not, see the Spotlight Reviews of the hardcover on Amazon.com:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...104-4805493-7312710?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

What do you think?

I must say, I had wondered how the temple could simply have been restarted post-Cultural Revolution.

2. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

To my suprise this book looks promising...

3. Hoimun

Hoimun Banned Banned

I have seen this book at store before. It is only 1 depiction "litterally" of what Shaolin Kuhng fu trully is. It is a good read, yet not as solid a refference point than others if you are looking for Shaolin books older than the cultural revolution. Yes, it has authentic martial arts of China....

I have also purchased another book recently that has lead me to the point where I am wondering if there is just as much friction between Wudang & Shaolin as the originators of the style, as there is between martial arts styles from other countries..... ?

4. Hoimun

Hoimun Banned Banned

Shaolin a mythbusted tourist attraction?

1 reference text would be "Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals" a historical survey written by Brian Kennedy & Elizabeth Guo...

A good read though I would not say it trully disproves Bodhidharma's direct involvement with the origin of 5 ancestors style....
    though it does prove that there are some people who do alot of damage to Shaolin kuhng fu that are even from China theirselves...

It does However, catalog many of the Manuals found in China quite accuratly from what I have read.... though it cannot prove Shaolin is fake.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Answer: $$$$$$

6. Rabu

Rabu Valued Member

Brian Kennedy and Elizabeth Guo's book refers to Tung Hao, who in fact did the research many decades before to disprove the bhodidharma myth as connected to martial arts.

I recommend reading Henning, Ma Ming Da and Brian Kennedy/Elizabeth Guo material for learning about scholarly or fact based martial arts history.

The books published by the current Shao Lin Temple are certainly pricey, but if you can afford them...think of the coffee table bragging rights!

The truth is out there, just disguised and actively hidden.

Rob

7. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Thanks Rabu, I was about to post that.

Has anytone viewd the BBC series called "Shaolin Physics". Great stuff if you can still find the vids.