Bud Spencer died at age 86

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Latikos, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'm sure lots of people know it already, but Bud Spencer died on June 27th at the age of 86 years.

Aside from his movies, he was also an Olympic swimmer and the first Italian to swim 100m freestyle in under one minute.

I came home from practice on Monday night, checked a forum - and was surprised by a thread about it.

R.I.P.
    My thoughts are with the family.

And since here no one opened a thread with the news, I also wondered something: How is it in English-speaking countries?
    Is he a big name there as well or less known or maybe even a niche actor?
    Here he has cult status, so therefore I'm surprised that no one here mentioned his death yet.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

It's been in my Facebook feed. Listed in the feed as a "Spaghetti Western actor." There might have been mention of his swimming history on the full articles, but I didn't click on them.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I remember him from "The Sheriff and the satellite Kid" amongst others...RIP big Bud!

4. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Me too, and its predecessor "Why did you pick on me" (as was its UK title) - My sister practically wore out our old VHS tapes of them both.

R.I.P. Sheriff Hall

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMJbJD2-Z5s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMJbJD2-Z5s[/ame]

6. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Not so much known in th UK, but in Italy Bud along with his often co-star Terence hill were cult figures, playing comedy beat 'em up movies, but Bud playing the taciturn sceptical bear, while Terence played the acrobatic wise cracking rogue. They were the staple of Friday night TV, and when there was nothing else on you could be guaranteed a wry laugh. And yes it's true Bud Spencer was a champion swimmer, despite his looks.

Makes me feel older just knowing he's passed away.

RIP Bud. Keep smacking them in the after life.

7. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

At least he reached a good age so to speak and passed away in peace without pain or anything.

He sure looked a bit... different when he was an active swimmer compared to his later movies.

I watched his movies (along with my Mom) since I was little and always preferred the ones Terence Hill was included.
    Geesh, Hill is 77 already as well :eek:
    Man, I feel old now.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016