skateboard recommendations and guidance for adult beginner

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aikiMac, Jul 4, 2011.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

bought one!

So I did it. I bought my first skateboard for myself. I went to the stores, two of them, with the idea of buying an "old school" board because (a) I like the look, and (b) because that's what my son's new one is. (His old one I think is called a freestyle; the front and tail are concave and identical.) After trying on a bunch of different boards, however, I chose a "cruiser" by Santa Cruz. It was the only board that didn't make me feel scared when I stood on it. ;)

I played around on my driveway for like 40 minutes. I wobble, but I don't feel scared. On my son's new board I feel mildly scared. On his old 7-inch board I'm very scared. I managed only once so far to make the turn from driveway onto sidewalk, but that's no reflection on the board, as it can almost turn on a dime. I just need more practice. :)

And yes, I bought a helmet for myself, and a new set of pads for my boy. He already has a helmet. The store didn't have pads in my size, but I'll shop another one tonight or tomorrow.

Edit:
    Rode it to our Cub Scout meeting tonight (I'm the Den Leader), and a bit more after that (still can't make the turn from driveway to sidewalk), and bought some pads. I had to go to three stores total before I found pads my size. What's up with that?! Anyway, I look embarrassing but it's kind of fun to ride. The thing glides and turns like it's on glass. Very smooth ride. I like it. :cool:

This is it right here: http://www.nhsfunfactory.com/item/11112244/santacruz/10.0x36-Woody-Shark-Dark-Cruzer

Or here, same board: http://www.skatesonhaight.com/Santa-Cruz-Woody-Shark-Cruzer-p/11112483-50737.htm

Mine is the dark one, and yes I think it's pretty.
    Bottle opener on the bottom -- LOL! But I do love creme soda! :banana:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. Kurai

Kurai Valued Member

Nice ride!

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Woot!

I love my board! I should have done this two years ago. :love:

The wheelbase is so long that I'll probably never do an ollie, or anything else for that matter, but that's okay. It's smooth as glass on a basketball court, and way faster than I expected (and the bearings only have a 3 rating). When I'm good with this cruzer I'll buy something shorter and with a better kick tail. It'd be nice to be able to go up some of the curbs and larger bumps as I cruise about the neighborhood. :heart:

4. baldguy

baldguy New Member

Just go to link removed They have a lot of collection of budget skateboard and buying guide. Hope it will be helpful for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

Although you answered a question this is just an advert and we don't permit links back to personal sites.

6. Kane Holland

Kane Holland New Member

The first skateboard I used while learning was the ADRIMAX. It's a very durable skateboard and I keep it until now also 5 years. It's a really good skateboard for the price and for beginners, comes with a tool to tighten and loosen the bolts to your liking. I fell and sprained my ankle the first time I slipped. Now I have a hobby of collecting skateboards. Your article may be of help to me. As for those of you who are adults and are starting to learn to skate, I think DISUPPO or Gonex Standard can also be a good choice. Those are the experiences I know.

7. Phil Lewis

Phil Lewis Member

Oh Lord, what have you done!

I’m 55, and avidly reading that website’s (from an early reply) guides.

Last skateboard I had was blue polypropylene Super Skuda!

I really should forget I ever saw this thread…

8. Kane Holland

Kane Holland New Member

I bought the PHOEROS because I wanted one with wheels suitable for the games. The difference between this and the other one I bought is that these wheels are smaller and better suited for doing tricks than the other one I have that has larger wheels to move around. My son loves it very much. He's just started doing the trick and he pulls it out every day.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2022
  9. Kane Holland

Kane Holland New Member

As far as I know, Santa Cruz, Antihero, Baker, and Real are the best skateboard brands. I have had a Santa for a long time, I don't remember what year, but since this brand is famous since the first time it has skateboarding, now its price is higher than other brands, but the quality is extremely good.

10. ned

ned Valued Member

A good skateboarder will make any board look good, the skate companies rely on the rest who think a funky expensive board will make them Bam Margera.
    Spend your money on good bearings is my advice.

axelb likes this.
  11. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I didn't skateboard much, but snakeboard loads (think they are called dragon boards now).

Once you get going it's worth investing in different wheels depending where you skate. Harder wheels better for getting speed up for tricks, soft wheels may help more with traction initially.

12. Bushi_Tai_Devil

Bushi_Tai_Devil New Member

...mhmmm.....DONT SKATE ON GARAGE CONCRETE...not at our age! I'm a bit younger than you, and I KNOW I will bust my a** no doubt! It's not like when I was younger... 2 things though....do yourself the favor of getting ACTUAL skating boarding shoes....believe me, they make a difference. Ettnies , vans.....you'll probably see vans ....those are always a pretty good bet. Expensive as hell, bit you might luck out and see a decent pair at good will. I got mine for 20 bucks....but..maybe just a lucky find? And I wouldn't gi for a normal deck....again, maybe a bit pricey.....but totally worth investing in.....get a long board. They are (in my opinion) easier to navigate. Especially turning....it's kinda like the "low rider " of skateboards. Far more chill, amd more laid back of a ride.....