Into the Bandlands - Love it or hate it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by goforit1, Feb 11, 2016.

1. goforit1

goforit1 New Member

I really enjoyed "Into the Badlands" this past fall. Wondering what others thought of the first season. I thought the fight scenes of characters "Sunny" Daniel Wu and "The Widow" Emily Beecham were amazing! Although the setting in an apocalyptic future was a bit strange, it was great having a Martial Arts series on television again. I was a big fan of Kung Fu when I was growing up. The visual blood and gore depicted in the fight scenes of "Into the Badlands" leaves little to the imagination though and goes well beyond what I ever saw on "Kung Fu". I wonder how parents feel about letting their youngest watch it? Did you like the show? http://www.amc.com/shows/into-the-badlands

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I love post-apocalyptic stuff...but, clichéd, badly acted, awful script and there was martial arts nonsense. I lasted about 10 minutes.

Shame really as I am a fan of the genre.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  3. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Love the concept. Hate the acting. Really annoyed with the acrobatic play on Martial arts. Maybe I am missing the joke?

4. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Epiode by episode it was hit or miss for me. They have some really good martial artist but then they put them in fight scenes with actors that are not that good and used film speed, wires and other effects to make up for it.

I don't think the acting was that bad amongst the main cast but it seems to be one of those shows where the peripheral characters are hired for their action and stunt skills and their acting is settleed for.

The big turn off for me is that it's another one of these cable shows that only gives you a few episodes a year and then you have to wait forever for more. It's a trend that is really starting to annoy me and, in addition to the insane pricing, is the main reason I'm dumping my cable this month.

5. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Now available on DVD

Perhaps I'm late to the party, but I've just spotted that Into the Badlands is available on DVD now and Season 2 will be out next month.

I saw the first episode on TV and enjoyed it for what it was - a high budget martial arts show. I though the plot was OK, but the action was great. It wasn't outstanding, but I enjoyed seeing a TV show focused on martial arts: like a modern day version of Carradine's Kung Fu television series.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I really enjoyed it. The acting in general wasn't terrible, and the production values were better than Defiance.
    I'm looking forward to the second series.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

oh, Melinda Clarke? OK, I'm sold!

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

While I can understand your confusion, it's Emily Beecham.

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'm most of the way through season three and I'm truly enjoying it. Seasons 2 and 3 have better stories than season 1, so give it a second shot if you just watched the first couple episodes.

The action is at the Crouching Tiger end of the spectrum, not the UFC end, but so long as that's what you expect, it's very well executed. And just as with the plot, the action in seasons 2 and 3 is better than 1.

It's not bumping off Firefly or The Expanse for title of my favorite show off all time, but it's good.

Travess likes this.
  10. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Season one was good, the two seasons after fell off hard in such a stupid direction. I hate how it was cancelled on a cliffhanger.