Dealing with drink

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by zombiekicker, Aug 2, 2015.

1. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Not a sob story but anyone else find their training gets put on hold cos of drinking? I heard Joe roga talking to bas rutten about rolling in bjj while stoned, surely this is no good

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Not all drugs are the same. I wouldn't advise either but rolling drunk would not be comparable to rolling stoned.

I've been fortunate to not suffer from substance addiction: just regular old life and sometimes injury that has occasionally put my training on hold.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

suppose it depends on how much you're drinking and whether you're hydrating properly. for me, it's been almost two decades since i had more than a couple drinks a month--and usually those two drinks happen at once when i'm out with a friend at a bar. but when i do drink, i like to make sure i keep hydrating, especially if i'm planning on rolling the next morning. usually, i'm fine rolling the next day, unless my kids wake me.

it's also important you define your drinking properly. here's a site that lays out some useful definitions.

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/moderate-binge-drinking

i used to be a binge drinker, but at 28 i went to grad. school and that pretty much ended that pattern--a good thing actually.

as for the other substance, i would not recommend rolling while using. regardless of what eddie bravo says.

4. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Cheers it's my power to sort it out, I'm a donut

5. Giovanni

no worries zombiekicker. you can do it. i know it's a hard thing to do. i used to always want to go out with my friends and before i knew it, i'd be six drinks in. one of the nice side effects of grad school--as i mentioned--was that i could not afford to drink like that any longer, because i needed to wake up the next day to do homework. also, it's cheaper on the wallet if you know what i mean.

i wanted to give you the site that defines moderate versus binge and heavy drinking a bit to give you something to think about. look, 2 drinks a night is moderate. 2 drinks. certainly, you can still go out, have a couple drinks and still have fun. no? i took a lot of heat from my friends for only drinking one or two at the beginning. but i realized that it was stupid. seriously, after two drinks, what else do you really need anyway.

i'm a big fan of all alcohol too. beer, wine, hard liquor. there's basically nothing i won't drink or don't like.

cheers.

6. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Cheers :)

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Bas Rutten? I can't fathom who'd want to mix MMA - or athletics in general with a hash pipe, or whatever. I don't know, I suppose it not my thing - they just seem incongruous with each other.

Same goes for alcohol - it seems so counter to energy and athleticism - but I could see for those who enjoy drinking, they may experience something else besides a spinning head.

Fortunately, for someone I knew once, speedballing was long out of their life by the time they began training - didn't exist anymore - but I used to have a couple of cigarettes on the way to a 5-k or even half-marathon ( some of you know how grueling that run is ) in my mid late thirties and I'd light up a fag right after a hard run - I [​IMG] not!

In a way, Zomb - you might be better off because you already know that you CANT train and drink at the same time. You will be forced to choose (choosing life, really) one over the other, immediately.

I smoked before and after - I probably would've smoked during a run if I'd had some place to keep 'em while out was out and didn't think twice about it until it was...

Well, maybe its not too late

8. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

One thing i did hear, and don't quote me on it, is that Peter Aerts is a life long stoner, granted, it's semi legal in the Netherlands, but i suppose, if you are dedicated enough, you can train regardless of your vices, granted, i'll always wonder if he could have been just that much better in spite of it.

9. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I always think , how much more strength could I have had with the wasted time, I lost 3 stone since January, and have worked out a lot, never satisfied

10. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

My dojang is open every Friday, the instructors call the open night. Come in and do what you want. Pull up heavy bags, spar whatever but strictly no drinking. Friday is my drinking night with friends.

Want to go to open night but drinking night allows me to relax and wind down wouldn't even consider trying train whilst innebriated. For obvious reasons. Even if i wasn't drunk i wouldn't have a drink at all for the hydration reason Giovanni gave.

Baza

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

It's a dangerous advice to give to a "real" alcoholic though.
    If they could just decide "only those two", alcoholics who want to drop the drinking would just do that.
    Problem is, it's not so easy.

On a sidenote, I find it rather interesting: Lots of times I read in the forum the advice to get professional help (which is a good advice!) - but with zombiekicker, I kind of miss that advice, to be honest.
    (I haven't read all his threads completely though, so I might have missed that.)

With him it's mostly: "You can do it!" - which is nice, for sure, and good start.
    But why not: "Dude, it's tough to that alone, why don't you go to rehab and let them help you?!".
    That's sound advice for alcoholics who really want to quit.

My Mom (just to show that I'm not trying to be a spoilsport or bash zombiekicker) was in a clinic for nearly half a year. When she came back again she learned tons of stuff - about drinking, alcohol.... and herself!
    The therapy made it easier for her to understand and *handle* lots of things differently.
    Even if it's not a clinic, why not seek out a professional anyway, especially when he's going to tough times again right now?

Oh, and more on topic: I wouldn't roll or train in general with anyone who is drunk or on drugs.
    My bones are more worth than that.
    I couldn't care less if other people think, that's not much of a problem, because it would be one for me.

12. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Call me a pleb, but you can never have enough head kick KO's on your C.V.

13. Giovanni

sorry, i had no idea we were dealing with more disease as opposed to just too much casual drinking. as someone who has seen a very dear friend go down that path, i would say get help and stop drinking.

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

15. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

To be honest, I'm not sure what the core of this thread was and if it even was supposed to go down the more serious note - I certainly didn't want to "spoil" the (not too serious meant) discussion!

It's just that it reminded me on some other things the op wrote; I didn't mean to go down on him in a bad way!

My Mom only went to get some help, when she nearly lost her job.
    All the talking I did for years, wouldn't reach her.
    So at times, the thing the motivates to actually get some help, might come from an unexpected direction.

16. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

It's pretty standard Chinese teaching where the Sifu is sitting there smoking (normal) cigarettes. All quite pretty laid back.

I suggest listen to a few more Joe Rogan Experience podcasts, which has some interesting discussions.

In regards to rolling stoned however, there are 2 types of weed, which has different effects. You have the well known "high" where its all about being mellow, etc and then you got the opposite affect, where you're less anxious and feel like doing something. (but not hyper)

17. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

A… uh… 'friend' of mine has rolled stoned. He only did it when he was training 3-5 times a week sober. It was more of just a chill fun roll and he found that he sometimes came up with new ideas, new ways of solving the puzzle, that he did not find in sober rolling. But this was only after dedicated and focussed practice - the tobacco with a 'w' rolls were more for just enjoyment.

18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Bruce Lee was all about "edibles", a lot of people say they ingest/smoke weed for inspirational reasons.

Kevin Smith says that you can't just take something and expect it to happen, you have to be in the mood or some form of "spark" and have it grow from there.

I personally wouldn't know, I barely even take painkillers. Even when I had my knee repaired and they prescribed me codrymamol, I didn't want to be numb because I want to know if my leg was getting better or not by letting the pain work its way through.

BUT.

I used to work in the media industry and there are a lot of those around who took hallucigens etc and claimed it gave them magic story telling powers.