So you wanna do Martial Arts huh?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Andy Murray, Mar 27, 2008.

1. nidan82

nidan82 Valued Member

A couple of years ago, when I was a taxi driver, i picked up a young lady who told me that she had answered an advertisement for Karate instructors. Having never previously trained in any martial art, she was hired and given a wage to train for, and recieve, her black belt in six months. She would then open a club and teach others, having qualified to do so. This has been going on for years. It's the standard practice of one hybrid Shotokan styled association in particular, the name of which i shall not mention but i'm sure you've all heard of this Australian product.

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Why not just say Go Kan Ryu and get it out of the way! ;)

3. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Is this your view of MMA/and MMA gyms in general or just a trend you have observed amongst the crop of newer clubs?

4. Killa_Gorillas

I can't speak for everyone here of course but mine is like... microscopic.

5. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

This presents an interesting thought-problem...

It sounds like the young lady you described was essentially "working full time" on her training in order to learn what was needed in that six month period. While this approach may offend many of us who are, by necessity, "hobbyist" martial artists who cannot devote 4-8 hours per day to training and do not have access to an instructor for that much time each day, I am curious to know what other people's thoughts are on this approach. Is it valid? Why is it valid, or why is it not valid?

I'm going to see if there is another thread that addresses this, but I would be curious to know other people's thoughts.

Just so I am not accused of trolling, etc, I will answer my own question. I would believe that there is a limit to how much progress one can make in a period of time, and I am not sure one could rise to the level of what we would expect a martial arts instructor to be, starting from ground zero, in six months. I think there is too much of a need for time to recover, reflect, and internalize what is learned. Therefore, while interesting, I do not feel that this approach is valid.

6. Killa_Gorillas

yes, you answered your own question. Plus google GKR karate.

7. Jar Smasher

Jar Smasher New Member

Thanks for the article links 47MartialMan. Also a great article Andy Murray, I'll definitely be using these tips when deciding on what style and school to start.

8. BMMA Academy

BMMA Academy New Member

Many of our students train and compete to increase their levels of fitness, confidence and to also improve their self-discipline. There is never any rush (it's not fun if you have to be forced to do it) and all students learn at a pace they are comfortable with. We have trained world champions and helped older people improve their fitness levels. The key is understanding what you want from it and going from there. If your wanting is to be a lethal killing machine, please stay away from our doors :)

9. BMMA Academy

BMMA Academy New Member

Some clubs do operate in this way. True MMA is however a mixture of traditional disciplines with a little contemporary techniques added to bond them all together. All students should look into what their local clubs 'really' have to offer before signing up. A lot of our instructors are champions in different, traditional martial arts disciplines which helps to keep the training relevant and how it was intended to be taught.

10. brisrocket

brisrocket Taekwondo instructor in Brisbane Australia

The veteran martial artists here will have witnessed that training in martial arts gives you strength, speed, agility, focus, confidence, integrity, respect, recognition and discipline. I couldn't think of anything else you would want in life - other than petty material possessions. It's all good.

11. BMMA Academy

BMMA Academy New Member

We couldn't agree more Brisrocket!

12. CamToolin

CamToolin New Member

I always wanted to try diff martial, but my body is not that strong.

13. JeniferLoby

JeniferLoby Banned Banned

I love to do martial art but don't understand how to do perfect martial arts.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No such thing - just turn up and train and the rest takes care of itself