Martial Arts Planet  

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet > General Topics > Competitors Corner
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 21-Dec-2016, 03:58 PM
Global Moderator

Going to be competing in my first "outside" tournament

I have wanted to do this for years!

I have been doing MA's for over 12 years now. And I do my school's tournament every year. I also go to my GM's tournament when I can afford it. But I have never done a open tournament- one outside my school's federation. And I have really wanted to. I think it would be a great learning experience. That is my motivation.

A few instructors recently went to the Las Vegas tournament. They did very well. (Check out the category second up from the bottom of this page, look for the instructor of our Sifu Don Tittle. They are also listed in other areas. I can't find a listing for the combatives, but they did well there too.http://www.kungfuchampionship.com/ra...HandForms.html )

It's coming to L.A. About a week before our school's tournament. So I will already be in tournament preparation mode, so I am going to do it! I am already doing the prep, why not just add a tournament into the mix?

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a lot of interest among fellow students to get a group going. I was hoping for that, but I am not going to be dissuaded.

What I want most of all, is to test my push hands skills against people trained differently. The rules are a bit different, but the instructors that went can help me with that as I prepare. And the ability to adapt is part of what I want to test.

So, what I really hope for from my fellow MAPpers is some advice. I have never done an open tournament, so I have some ideas from here what to expect, but not totally.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I am planning on doing a CLF hand and weapon form. A TCC hand and weapon form, and the two types of push hands. I am not going to do the CLF sparring as they allow head contact and I just can't risk a head injury/ concussion. I need to work, I need to drive home to San Diego from L.A., go to my school's tournament the week after AND I am slowly getting ready for my CLF black sash test.

So far, I am planning on doing Small Five Animal for my CLF hand form. My instructor and I are going to decide between the butterfly knives and the Broadsword weapon form. I really don't want to have to carry a long weapon up to L.A.

For the TCC, I am leaning towards the 40 for my hand form. I want to do the 48 combination, but am concerned they won't like that as it mixes up elements from other styles. So I thought it best to do a strictly Yang style form. No Fajing, as some people do not understand that Yang style DOES have fajing. It is a comm on misperception about Yang style and I don't want any judge to mistakenly misjudge me based on that. Leaning towards the 54 Gim as my weapon form, Still haven't talked to my TCC teacher about this though. I will.

Please, I am excited and nervous, and could really use advice about doing this. I hope to hear from anyone here, but Ben Gash, I particularly want to hear from you for obvious reasons.

Oh, this is the tournament. So people have a frame of reference for what I am going to be doing. http://www.kungfuchampionship.com/los-angeles/

Last edited by aaradia; 21-Dec-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 21-Dec-2016, 04:47 PM
Goes well with everything

Treat it like any other comp you have been in.
The venue and people are different but the moves and mentality is the same.

Dont overwhelm yourself by blowing it out of proportion unecessarily.

Saying that. Kick bottom and take names!

(Cheat when you cant get caught....just saying)

Freestyle Wrestling / Muay Thai / Pak Mei

www.ukpakmei.org
Old 21-Dec-2016, 05:18 PM

Exactly what Mushroom has said - Neither the nature of the tournament nor its venue detract from what you already know, or how you already train. You are in a fantastic position, wherein it would be completely impossible for you to come away from the experience empty handed, whether that'll mean insight gained, or even possibly something shinier, is all just gravy. Take the opportunity while it is there, learn what you can from it, and be sure to open a few eyes of your own whilst you are there.

Regards

Travess
Old 21-Dec-2016, 11:01 PM
Valued Member

Good luck Aaradia !

It's a good move to take yourself out of your regular surroundings and cross hands with other schools/styles.
My advice would be make sure you're familiar with the rules and scoring etc. check the size of the matt area, prepare with some extra cardio ( even fixed ph can be surprisingly draining ) and if you can't get a training partner to compete and prepare alongside you , take some friendly support - preferably one of your instructors/sifus.

Look forward to hearing of your success !
Old 22-Dec-2016, 09:38 AM
Lord Mitch of MAP

Enjoy
Old 25-Dec-2016, 12:57 PM
She who MUST be obeyed!

Good luck!