What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anth, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

as the title says, which book are you currently reading? what do you think of it? would you recommend it to other MAPers?

im currently reading In the Company of Heroes, by Michael J Durrant and is the true story of Black Hawk Down, written by the actual person involved and includes details that Durrant didnt release for the film out of respect for the families of his fallen comrades. im only half way through the book, but i recommend it to anyone who likes war stories :)

thats me, how about you? :)

P.S: it doesnt need to be an MA book :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  2. acrawford

acrawford Ki-Ken-Tai no Ichi

The unfettered mind
    by Takuan Soho

Yes I would recomend it to all MA.

3. Cain

Cain New Member

Thunder Point - Jack higgins

Not an MA book sorry, prefer to do it instead :D

|Cain|

4. blaksun

blaksun Banned Banned

Shogun, James Clavell.
    A Clergymans Daughter, George Orwell.
    The Final Prophecy, by some dude.

All of them are good. I'd recommend all of them...'cept The Final Prophecy, it's the second last book of a really long series.
    It's a Star Wars book.

V.V

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

According to the rolling stones - Anyone interested in the slightest in the stones or music in general, it's great and only a tenner at HMV, reduced from 30. Well worth it.

Mastering Jujitsu - Renzo Gracie and John Danaher. Good book covering a lot of aspects and angles that I haven't found elsewhere. Plenty of nice drills put into practice.

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hearts in Atlantis & Everything's Eventual - both Steven King.

I'm filling in gaps in my Steven King library in anticipation of his next two books coming out later this year - the final two parts of the Dark Tower series.

7. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

The Art of War - Sun Tzu

if you want to win...well here's how. :woo:

1984 - George Orwell

i recommend to anyone, MA or not.

8. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Newest MA book: The Dao of Taijiquan: Way to Rejuvenation
    Non-MA book: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (read it once before; reading it now for my book group).

Most unusual books scheduled for my book group (both in August): Charlotte's Web, and Winnie the Pooh

9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Karate - Randall G.Hassell and Edmond Otis.

10. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

The Silmarillion J.R.R Tolkein there's a shock :D

11. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Siddhartha by Hesse

Its a pretty good book. And I dont do much reading so if Im reading a book it cant be bad.

12. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene and Secrets of the Samurai: the Martial Arts of Feudal Japan by Oscar Ratti & Adele Westbrook. I'll probably start reading 'Salems Lot soon and/or the Dark Tower books leading into the new DT books coming out this year, me n' Yoda are in the same boat :D

13. Hidden_Dragon

Hidden_Dragon New Member

Book I am Currently Reading

The book i am currently reading is " Jeet Kune Do "

By Bruce Lee edited by John Little

14. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I have to read it for English and write an assignment on it. I am currently on my second reading of it, trying to find quotes to back up the hypothesis I don't yet have, on a question that makes little sense.

It's an all right book, except that it is sompletely and utterly devoid of humour, and of the total of 16 characters in the book (Emily Bronte was a social recluse, and her book reflects that) 11 of them die. It's actually not that bad a book, although most of my friends hate it. It's just that I've never read a book before (except for really bad ones)where I strongly disliked all the characters. It would be better if I didn't have to write an assignment on it.

15. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Le Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory - DON'T read this unless you have a serious interest in British history or old English as it is very heavy going.

Harlequin by Bernard Cornwell - read this if you have even the slightest interest in history or warfare.

16. Koryo

Koryo Valued Member

I've just finished reading The Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice and have subsequently started The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown.

17. Jim

Jim New Member

The Encyclopedia of Mythology by Arthur Cotterell. I'm keeping to Fiction after 3 years of reading Non-Fiction for Uni.

18. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

I just finished a small book called Roadside Picnic. It's a Russian story, kind of science fiction, pretty cool.

About a "Zone" full of dangerous and weird artifacts that defie science. People called Stalkers go in and risk their lifes collecting these artifacts to sell -illegaly ofcourse

Suprisingly good.

It available online if you look hard enough. I found it after 2 days :(, and since I've converted it to .doc .

19. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Gorin no Sho. I'll have to re-read it. Right now I just want to see what Musashi is saying, and the second time I'll look for what he's trying to say.

PL

20. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I have two books going right now, first one is "Can I Tell You About Asperger Syndrome? A Guide for Friends and Family" by Jude Welton. The second one is "Why Does Chris Do That? Some Suggestions Regards the Cause and Management of the Unusual Behaviour of Children and Adults With Autism and ASP" by Tony Atwood. Both are excellent introductory books on Asperger's Syndrome which I have become interested and involved with since a friend of my son's has been diagnosed. Understanding the disorder is going a long way in helping my son and his classmates deal with some of the more upsetting aspects of the little boys behaviour. I would recommend both if anyone else is dealing with these issues.