Martial Arts Planet

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet » General Topics » Questions and Answers
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 11-Apr-2017, 11:14 AM
Cactus Schlong

There are plenty of good independent martial arts organisations that offer support, insurance, syllabus assessment and structure and access to other high grades to keep up with personal gradings.
Personally I'd try to find one of those and get a 4th dan that actually means something. You might even get some help with the other organisational aspects of running a club.
Old 11-Apr-2017, 11:28 AM
Registered Mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
I can definitely see your point when you put it like that. Certainly very understandable. However the problem would probably still be that nobody respects the the grade and it may in fact, backfire.

What sffiliation were you with originally?
The original club which we split from was associated to BNMAA (for insurance only I think) but I have no idea beyond that.

Now my Instructor's and students' insurance is held with MAGB.
Old 12-Apr-2017, 09:09 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by route12 View Post
Okay, I understand.

We have six to 12 months between gradings of kyu grades and years for Dans as well.

It's times that have to be "waited" (I hate that term in this context!) at the very least though.

And you certainly don't have the right to get an honorary grade later on, but you might get it, if you have done "enough" (whatever that is) and if someone recommends you for it.
You don't get it just because you keep training and might train others.
Old 12-Apr-2017, 11:00 AM
Registered Mapper

Well I think it's more than that really. It says you must train regularly because obviously there are going to be shirkers who think because they turn up every few weeks to keep their hand in, that that will do.
Also that they help improve their club, promote it, help it grow, improve the experience of the lower and higher grades, help come up with new exciting ideas... so that they become a part of what's happening and an instigator of development somehow rather than sitting by, letting someone else do the hard work and just turning up to spar every Thursday.
That's how I see it anyway.
Old 12-Apr-2017, 03:08 PM
Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitfire View Post
There are plenty of good independent martial arts organisations that offer support, insurance, syllabus assessment and structure and access to other high grades to keep up with personal gradings.
Personally I'd try to find one of those and get a 4th dan that actually means something. You might even get some help with the other organisational aspects of running a club.
I agree with this advice above.

If grades are 'important' enough that you have your students earning grades and that you have a grade, then you probably should show its importance by continuing to advance as well... even if only to be able to grade your students higher.

Otherwise, you could change to something simpler, like white belt = student, brown belt = senior student/assistant instructor, black belt = instructor.

There are a lot of good independent groups that offer assistance through learning, seminars, publications, and offer other people to work with and grade under.
Old 12-Apr-2017, 04:43 PM
Cactus Schlong

If you're in the UK this association is the sort if thing I'm on about.
I have no association with them myself but I've heard good things about them.

http://www.cobramartialarts.info/
Old 12-Apr-2017, 09:41 PM
Valued dis-member

Here's another thought for you ... Why don't you find a different instructor in something similar, and begin learning from them? If the systems are somewhat similar, you should find yourself advancing quickly because of your prior experience. This gives you the added benefit of continuing to add to your own training, and giving you a deeper insight into the art you're teaching.

You benefit, and your students benefit.
Old 12-Apr-2017, 09:53 PM
the merc with the mouth

Are you teaching kickboxing for competing in kickboxing matches, or as a freestyle martial art?
Old 17-Apr-2017, 01:26 AM
Valued Member

Our wing chun lineage hasn't even had rankings set up yet lol. Mostly they focused on teaching and actual skills, but would be useful.

I'd say try to get it from a good organization or club after you fulfill their requirement

“Life repeats itself mindlessly – unless you become mindful, it will go on repeating like a wheel.”
― Osho

http://wingchunanaheim.com/