Martial Arts Planet



Go Back   Martial Arts Planet » Health And Fitness Section » Weight Training
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 05-Mar-2017, 03:59 PM
icefield's Avatar
icefield icefield is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: midlands
Posts: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_pool View Post
So to paraphrase, for powerlifting and weightlifting, powerlifting and weightlifting is best.

Kettlebells ae replaceable, but are small and easy to use at home, and are more about conditioning/ output over time (plus some mobility work) then absolute strength.

How does that sound?
Fine as always but that wasn't my original point, they are over hyped and over priced and for conditioning and mobility work you can replace them with dumbbells which are cheaper and just as useful.

Heck if I was being arguementative which I actually am not honest, you can use a normal bar for conditioning or even mobility, overhead squats, or front squats anyone, split snatches? timed cleans or timed deads for conditioning anyone, or tempo squats, or 20min sets of lunges.... It's not the implement that's important but how you use it and my main point is limiting yourself to an object which is fixed to a certain weight and can't be changed without buying a complete new one is, well dense

Last edited by icefield; 05-Mar-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-Mar-2017, 04:52 PM
Giovanni Giovanni is offline
nefarious editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by icefield View Post
Name it what you want I'm off this site now but thanks for rebutting everything I said with well informed opinions back up by fact with appeals to emperical evidence and decades of experience .... Oh wait you didn't because you couldn't
see this is the problem. you're just going off on everyone always about how great you are. all the time. you make everything here antagonistic instead of positively sharing your experiences.

pretty much everyone in this quote-unquote "discussion" has conceded that weight training with barbells is ideal--myself included. myself and others have even expounded on our experiences with kettlebells. yet, you're constantly pontificating to everyone. even flinging insults around like we're not thinking.

ok, barbells are great. happy now. since you're off the site, i shouldn't care anyway right. all your supposed experience has now completely gone to waste because i could care less about what you say.

Last edited by Giovanni; 05-Mar-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-Mar-2017, 05:19 PM
Dead_pool's Avatar
Dead_pool Dead_pool is offline
the merc with the mouth
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
i shouldn't care anyway right. all your supposed experience has now completely gone to waste because i could care less about what you say.
massively off topic, but that common american phrase means the opposite in the uk to what you want to say.

we say 'I couldnt care less', implying we care very little,
Whereas You say 'I could care less', implying you care somewhat? even though, (Correct me if I'm wrong) you mean to say you dont care very much.

sorry for the digression.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-Mar-2017, 12:24 AM
hewho's Avatar
hewho hewho is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 183
slightly off topic, but the second event shown is a KB swinging motion https://www.facebook.com/wsmbriansha...c_ref=NEWSFEED
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
Samwise Gamgee was an excellent gardener, and he done more than anyone in saving Middle Earth.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 18-Mar-2017, 06:26 PM
icefield's Avatar
icefield icefield is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: midlands
Posts: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
see this is the problem. you're just going off on everyone always about how great you are. all the time. you make everything here antagonistic instead of positively sharing your experiences.

pretty much everyone in this quote-unquote "discussion" has conceded that weight training with barbells is ideal--myself included. myself and others have even expounded on our experiences with kettlebells. yet, you're constantly pontificating to everyone. even flinging insults around like we're not thinking.

ok, barbells are great. happy now. since you're off the site, i shouldn't care anyway right. all your supposed experience has now completely gone to waste because i could care less about what you say.

Couldn't resist as I'm bored, you said they are functional and massively useful for BJJ as the Turkish get up is a technical get up, one movement is a frame and pulling your leg back, the other is holding a weight above your head whilst you Stand up from a kneeling position. You also said the swing is useful for BJJ, yet can't back any of these points up. You also can't refute anything i said in terms of cost and limitations for KBs when compared to simple dumbbells,

I'd also point out you started the insults basically calling me a liar when i said how cheap DBs are, which I backed up and proved then you went all quiet....

And i only put my experiences up after someone else made a plea to experience to point out others also have validated experiences here...

Your right though i shouldn't put up my back ground, in this debate there's no need it's easy to see who can back up What they say with experience and who is toeing the part line so to speak
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 19-Mar-2017, 01:59 AM
Giovanni Giovanni is offline
nefarious editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,325
oh wait, i thought you were "off this site". but you're back. sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefield View Post
I'd also point out you started the insults basically calling me a liar when i said how cheap DBs are
when and where did i call you a liar. i want to see the words: icefield you're a liar.

Quote:
which I backed up and proved then you went all quiet....
which i then thanked you for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
cool. thanks for the link. i'll check out and see if i can find the same version in the states.
what other words or lack thereof do you want to put in my mouth?
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 19-Mar-2017, 09:36 AM
Dead_pool's Avatar
Dead_pool Dead_pool is offline
the merc with the mouth
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,533
DB's are cheaper, and far more easily scaleable by weight, whereas with KBs you have to scale through time unless your willing to buy loads of them.

But this isnt really an either or argument.

lots of people use KBs because they're convenient, small, and they fell for the russian superman marketing.

Do people actually do DB swings? they feel really akward compared to a kb swing?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 19-Mar-2017, 02:18 PM
icefield's Avatar
icefield icefield is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: midlands
Posts: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_pool View Post
DB's are cheaper, and far more easily scaleable by weight, whereas with KBs you have to scale through time unless your willing to buy loads of them.

But this isnt really an either or argument.

lots of people use KBs because they're convenient, small, and they fell for the russian superman marketing.

Do people actually do DB swings? they feel really akward compared to a kb swing?
Yep it's harder to start than the KB swing so normally deadlifted from between the legs as a dead start then when stood up you start the swing by pushing the hips back and swinging between the legs brooks kubrick did a video years ago on the swing , the heavy clean etc heavy swings are done either hand on has or fingers intergripped.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 19-Mar-2017, 02:21 PM
icefield's Avatar
icefield icefield is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: midlands
Posts: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
oh wait, i thought you were "off this site". but you're back. sweet.



when and where did i call you a liar. i want to see the words: icefield you're a liar.



which i then thanked you for.



what other words or lack thereof do you want to put in my mouth?
Quote:
post a link.
Last edited by Giovanni; 03-Mar-2017 at 06:31
PM.
You edited it but if your edited version of post a link isn't basically saying prove it as i don't believe you then you really need to work on your typing skills, along with your strength
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 19-Mar-2017, 03:44 PM
Dead_pool's Avatar
Dead_pool Dead_pool is offline
the merc with the mouth
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by icefield View Post
Yep it's harder to start than the KB swing so normally deadlifted from between the legs as a dead start then when stood up you start the swing by pushing the hips back and swinging between the legs brooks kubrick did a video years ago on the swing , the heavy clean etc heavy swings are done either hand on has or fingers intergripped.
ill have a look for that! cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 20-Mar-2017, 12:37 PM
Giovanni Giovanni is offline
nefarious editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_pool View Post
lots of people use KBs because they're convenient, small, and they fell for the russian superman marketing.
yeah, that pretty much sums it up. lol
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 20-Mar-2017, 02:49 PM
Mitch's Avatar
Mitch Mitch is offline
Lord Mitch of MAP




 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Nottingham UK
Age: 48
Posts: 16,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
yeah, that pretty much sums it up. lol
I don't always use kettlebells, but when I do my name is Ivan.

Mitch
__________________
Full of fibre, none of it moral.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 20-Mar-2017, 03:50 PM
Giovanni Giovanni is offline
nefarious editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,325
mitch, i've been using my kid to practice my technical standups. he's actually 16kg, so it's been pretty sweet rolling against my three-year-old, because he can't stop my rnc or kimura for that matter. and he loves it when i kb swing him between my legs. for real. ha ha!

Last edited by Giovanni; 20-Mar-2017 at 03:53 PM. Reason: said something nefarious, but i'm not going to say what. but since i've edited my post, must mean i've done something evil.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 20-Mar-2017, 09:22 PM
Mitch's Avatar
Mitch Mitch is offline
Lord Mitch of MAP




 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Nottingham UK
Age: 48
Posts: 16,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
mitch, i've been using my kid to practice my technical standups. he's actually 16kg, so it's been pretty sweet rolling against my three-year-old, because he can't stop my rnc or kimura for that matter. and he loves it when i kb swing him between my legs. for real. ha ha!
Fantastic

I was overhead pressing my daughter the other day too, saves buying more stuff to lift
__________________
Full of fibre, none of it moral.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 21-Mar-2017, 01:56 AM
Fish Of Doom's Avatar
Fish Of Doom Fish Of Doom is offline
Will : Mind : Motion

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Buenos Aires
Age: 26
Posts: 16,584
Jujimufu laughs at your feeble attempts to replace the bell of kettle with human meat:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD8a9ZkM...en-by=jujimufu
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by John R. Gambit View Post
Isn't your intestine poking out of your stomach when you eat? What are you doing suplexing the up-and-comers?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade80 View Post
Occham thinks your beard needs a trim.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.