Martial Arts Planet

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet » Health And Fitness Section » Weight Training
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 05-Mar-2017, 03:59 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_pool View Post
So to paraphrase, for powerlifting and weightlifting, powerlifting and weightlifting is best.

Kettlebells ae replaceable, but are small and easy to use at home, and are more about conditioning/ output over time (plus some mobility work) then absolute strength.

How does that sound?
Fine as always but that wasn't my original point, they are over hyped and over priced and for conditioning and mobility work you can replace them with dumbbells which are cheaper and just as useful.

Heck if I was being arguementative which I actually am not honest, you can use a normal bar for conditioning or even mobility, overhead squats, or front squats anyone, split snatches? timed cleans or timed deads for conditioning anyone, or tempo squats, or 20min sets of lunges.... It's not the implement that's important but how you use it and my main point is limiting yourself to an object which is fixed to a certain weight and can't be changed without buying a complete new one is, well dense

Last edited by icefield; 05-Mar-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-Mar-2017, 04:52 PM
nefarious editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefield View Post
Name it what you want I'm off this site now but thanks for rebutting everything I said with well informed opinions back up by fact with appeals to emperical evidence and decades of experience .... Oh wait you didn't because you couldn't
see this is the problem. you're just going off on everyone always about how great you are. all the time. you make everything here antagonistic instead of positively sharing your experiences.

pretty much everyone in this quote-unquote "discussion" has conceded that weight training with barbells is ideal--myself included. myself and others have even expounded on our experiences with kettlebells. yet, you're constantly pontificating to everyone. even flinging insults around like we're not thinking.

ok, barbells are great. happy now. since you're off the site, i shouldn't care anyway right. all your supposed experience has now completely gone to waste because i could care less about what you say.

Last edited by Giovanni; 05-Mar-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-Mar-2017, 05:19 PM
the merc with the mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
i shouldn't care anyway right. all your supposed experience has now completely gone to waste because i could care less about what you say.
massively off topic, but that common american phrase means the opposite in the uk to what you want to say.

we say 'I couldnt care less', implying we care very little,
Whereas You say 'I could care less', implying you care somewhat? even though, (Correct me if I'm wrong) you mean to say you dont care very much.

sorry for the digression.
Old 06-Mar-2017, 12:24 AM
Valued Member

slightly off topic, but the second event shown is a KB swinging motion https://www.facebook.com/wsmbriansha...c_ref=NEWSFEED
Old 18-Mar-2017, 06:26 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
see this is the problem. you're just going off on everyone always about how great you are. all the time. you make everything here antagonistic instead of positively sharing your experiences.

pretty much everyone in this quote-unquote "discussion" has conceded that weight training with barbells is ideal--myself included. myself and others have even expounded on our experiences with kettlebells. yet, you're constantly pontificating to everyone. even flinging insults around like we're not thinking.

ok, barbells are great. happy now. since you're off the site, i shouldn't care anyway right. all your supposed experience has now completely gone to waste because i could care less about what you say.

Couldn't resist as I'm bored, you said they are functional and massively useful for BJJ as the Turkish get up is a technical get up, one movement is a frame and pulling your leg back, the other is holding a weight above your head whilst you Stand up from a kneeling position. You also said the swing is useful for BJJ, yet can't back any of these points up. You also can't refute anything i said in terms of cost and limitations for KBs when compared to simple dumbbells,

I'd also point out you started the insults basically calling me a liar when i said how cheap DBs are, which I backed up and proved then you went all quiet....

And i only put my experiences up after someone else made a plea to experience to point out others also have validated experiences here...

Your right though i shouldn't put up my back ground, in this debate there's no need it's easy to see who can back up What they say with experience and who is toeing the part line so to speak
Old 19-Mar-2017, 01:59 AM
nefarious editor

oh wait, i thought you were "off this site". but you're back. sweet.

Quote:
I'd also point out you started the insults basically calling me a liar when i said how cheap DBs are
when and where did i call you a liar. i want to see the words: icefield you're a liar.

Quote:
which I backed up and proved then you went all quiet....
which i then thanked you for.

Quote:
cool. thanks for the link. i'll check out and see if i can find the same version in the states.
what other words or lack thereof do you want to put in my mouth?
Old 19-Mar-2017, 09:36 AM
the merc with the mouth

DB's are cheaper, and far more easily scaleable by weight, whereas with KBs you have to scale through time unless your willing to buy loads of them.

But this isnt really an either or argument.

lots of people use KBs because they're convenient, small, and they fell for the russian superman marketing.

Do people actually do DB swings? they feel really akward compared to a kb swing?
Old 19-Mar-2017, 02:18 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
DB's are cheaper, and far more easily scaleable by weight, whereas with KBs you have to scale through time unless your willing to buy loads of them.

But this isnt really an either or argument.

lots of people use KBs because they're convenient, small, and they fell for the russian superman marketing.

Do people actually do DB swings? they feel really akward compared to a kb swing?
Yep it's harder to start than the KB swing so normally deadlifted from between the legs as a dead start then when stood up you start the swing by pushing the hips back and swinging between the legs brooks kubrick did a video years ago on the swing , the heavy clean etc heavy swings are done either hand on has or fingers intergripped.
Old 19-Mar-2017, 02:21 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
oh wait, i thought you were "off this site". but you're back. sweet.

when and where did i call you a liar. i want to see the words: icefield you're a liar.

which i then thanked you for.

what other words or lack thereof do you want to put in my mouth?
Quote:
post a link.
Last edited by Giovanni; 03-Mar-2017 at 06:31
PM.
You edited it but if your edited version of post a link isn't basically saying prove it as i don't believe you then you really need to work on your typing skills, along with your strength
Old 19-Mar-2017, 03:44 PM
the merc with the mouth

Quote:
Yep it's harder to start than the KB swing so normally deadlifted from between the legs as a dead start then when stood up you start the swing by pushing the hips back and swinging between the legs brooks kubrick did a video years ago on the swing , the heavy clean etc heavy swings are done either hand on has or fingers intergripped.
ill have a look for that! cheers!
Old 20-Mar-2017, 12:37 PM
nefarious editor

Quote:
yeah, that pretty much sums it up. lol
Old 20-Mar-2017, 02:49 PM
Lord Mitch of MAP

Quote:
yeah, that pretty much sums it up. lol
I don't always use kettlebells, but when I do my name is Ivan.

Mitch
Old 20-Mar-2017, 03:50 PM
nefarious editor

mitch, i've been using my kid to practice my technical standups. he's actually 16kg, so it's been pretty sweet rolling against my three-year-old, because he can't stop my rnc or kimura for that matter. and he loves it when i kb swing him between my legs. for real. ha ha!

Last edited by Giovanni; 20-Mar-2017 at 03:53 PM. Reason: said something nefarious, but i'm not going to say what. but since i've edited my post, must mean i've done something evil.
Old 20-Mar-2017, 09:22 PM
Lord Mitch of MAP

Quote:
mitch, i've been using my kid to practice my technical standups. he's actually 16kg, so it's been pretty sweet rolling against my three-year-old, because he can't stop my rnc or kimura for that matter. and he loves it when i kb swing him between my legs. for real. ha ha!
Fantastic

I was overhead pressing my daughter the other day too, saves buying more stuff to lift
Old 21-Mar-2017, 01:56 AM
Will : Mind : Motion

Jujimufu laughs at your feeble attempts to replace the bell of kettle with human meat:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD8a9ZkM...en-by=jujimufu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade80 View Post
Occham thinks your beard needs a trim.