What TV series are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cloudz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Watched the finale of Office:An American workplace on UK TV last night. Bit sad this has come to an end though it's had a great run. Probably my all time favourite comedy series. It just got better and better.

I can even say I have enjoyed it even more than the UK original in many ways. From The Steve Carroll days, into the Will Ferrell appearances and Catherine Tate popping up toward the end. All the other stalwarts in the office.. Great characterization, comedy, poignancy by the bucket.

The 1 hour finale was a bit special and wrapped things up so well, an appearance by Will Farrell is the only extra cherry I could have asked for.

Truly excellent TV in my book, I will really miss this.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Watched the first episode of Supernatural season 10 last night. Definitely saw the best Dean Winchester to date, Jensen Ackles played the part superbly. Can't wait for the next episode.

Also started watching season 2 of Chicago PD, and it's even better than season 1. This show is my perfect TV fix, a nice mix between CSI and Strikeback: Project Dawn.

Could only get halfway through episode two of The Big Bang Theory season 8. Man, this show has gone down the pan. Not even remotely funny anymore.

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Your love of US comedy series disturbs me. Call yourself a patriot and a redcoat. Disgraceful! You should be watching Carry On movies and listening to the Archers.

I will never listen to Mushroom again. I'm watching American Horror Story: Asylum. It was actually ok...until (Spoilers in case the 'Shroom is watching it):

aliens got involved (that was about 10 minutes into episode 1. I'm not really a sci-fi fan, but that's not it. It's set in a mental hospital in the '60s and bringing aliens into it just seems a little stupid. And on top of that, Anne Frank gets involved. Yes, that Anne Frank!! I haven't seen all that part of the story yet and she's in an asylum so maybe she isn't Anne Frank and then it's ok.

And every time Anne Frank enters the scene, I can't help but remember this scene from League of Gentlemen, which is a fantastic British comedy series, with the terrible actress.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXWrgnavIkY"]The League of Gentlemen - Pam Doove Plays a Nazi - YouTube[/ame]

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Seconded. I watched Episode 1 Season 10 last night as well. Love that show. Also really enjoy Sleepy Hollow. MC played by British actor Tom Mison, just to restore some balance and make Bozza happy. ;)

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Jensen who?

6. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Z Nation - this is a Syfy show about the Zombie Apocalypse. There is nothing new here, and it's not as good as The Walking Dead. But if you are a hardcore Zombie fan like I am, then even this is something to watch. It is not as serious, has some silliness compared to other Zombie shows/movies. For example, there is an episode that centers around the heros being in the path of a huge storm. It turns out to be a tornado. Which has Zombies in it. One character comments about it "well, at least it isn't sharks". I think I'll probably keep watching it. It is better than a lot of SyFy shows like Helix.

SyFy also has a reality show called Town of the Living Dead which is about a bunch of amateurs who have been trying to make a Zombie movie for 6 years. This actually seems pretty good.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Well the new season of Criminal Minds is a bit of a limp fish. Jennifer Love Hewitt, as lovely as she is to look at, is an awful addition to the formula. Not her fault I guess, the character of Kate was badly written. Supposedly a rookie but knew more about behavioural science than some of the more senior characters who supposedly wrote the book on the subject.

Haven't watched TUF 20 since Tecia Torres went out first round. So it's just Supernatural, Chicago PD, and the even more awesome Walking Dead for me right now.

8. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Honestly, outside of The Walking Dead and Comic Book Men I watch most series on hulu.com. There's a brilliant show from Australia called Offspring that is my favorite show. This show is so good that I'm worried the Americans may try to do a redux of it, and it will stink badly. Anyway, if you can watch videos on hulu I encourage you to look at Offspring or another called Packed to the Rafters. Both are excellent.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Damn this is funny!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6BsMzc9mMs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6BsMzc9mMs[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ&index=8&list=UU67f2Qf7FYhtoUIF4Sf29cA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ&index=8&list=UU67f2Qf7FYhtoUIF4Sf29cA[/ame]

10. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

I should have said anything on FX or AMC. In fact, I'm about to do an OTA setup and giving up cable. Most of those series I can watch for free with my prime account or download special software that allows me to watch it on Netflix. I'm a linux guy and Silverlight, which is the platform used for viewing video on netflix, is Microsoft and doesn't play nice with Linux.

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Tecia Torres has been reinstated by Dana White on TUF 20, so I'm back watching that. If she beats Bec Rawlings, she's up against Carla Esparza in the semis. Can anyone say FIREWORKS!!!

12. Bozza Bostik

Psychoville.

I'm a huge League of Gentlemen fan and believe it's one of the best things to ever have come on TV. Psychoville was a bit of a let down, but I am giving it a rewatch to see if I can get into it more. It's better the second time around, but still kind of disappointed with it. In some ways the production is better than League, bit slicker and more polished perhaps...but low on laughs and the dark elements just aren't there or are very contrived.

13. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

About to watch season 3 of Spartacus for some reason still getting used to the stand in Spartacus even though he has been in more series - boggles the mind.

Baza

14. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

Loved the first seasons. I had more trouble with Crixus' "girlfriend" (I forgot her name) replacement. Just didn't work for me.

Anyone watching "Kingdom"?? It's supposed to be a series about MMA but I haven't had time to watch it yet.

15. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I found him hard to get used to, but to be honest he grew on me much more than the original Spartacus did.

Season four is amazing though.

Naevia. I have the DVD boxed set of all the seasons, watched them all a couple of times and still couldn't remember it. Not my favourite character.

16. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

Cheers!! I liked her initially.

It was a great series. The sword choreography was excellent IMHO.

17. LemonSloth

Yeah, she was alright initially. But by the last few episodes of the fourth one I was just waiting for someone to stab her as she just constantly got on my nerves with her hatred.

Believe it or not the sword fighting and blood animation initially put me off watching it in the first season as it just felt ridiculous. But having watched them all a couple of times I have to agree, easily some of the best sword fighting sequences out there. Hell, pretty much all the weapon fighting was highly entertaining to watch. And the dialogue really improved over time IMO. :)

18. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

I couldn't wait for Naevia to get killed off.

I particularly liked crixus + spartacus vs Theokoles. It seems to me one of the few 2 on 1 where the 2 actually fight together (at least at the start).

The dialogue did get better but it is weird. Some people enjoyed, others hated it. I enjoyed it.

19. Bozza Bostik

I got really bored of Spartacus, if you want blood and boobs there are two better genres you can watch and both do it much better.

I watched the first season but got bored half way through, finished it just to see what happens. I watched a few minutes of the second series (or was it a mini-series) and just couldn't be bothered...especially as they changed Naevia :)

I did think the fight scenes were quite entertaining though. But I honestly think without the blood and boobs, very few people would have bothered. Terrible acting, crappy plot and worse script.

It could have been so much better. That reminds me.....I've never seen Rome, I should check it out.

--------

On to season 2 of Psychoville. I think I'll give League of Gents a rewatch after I finish with this.

20. LemonSloth

I admit I did a small cheer when she finally bit the dust. It was fairly logical her character would end up like that but she was just annoying. When she killed Gannicus' Roman friend in S4 I had it in for her :p.

I had forgotten about that fight, that was a pretty good one actually. Lots of rivalry, flashy sword shenanigans, some monstrous hulk of an opponent and the heroes getting a kicking. What more could you want?

So did I. It was a bit strange at first, it was like they were trying to do the whole "Ye Olde English" grammar and delivery but entirely with new world wording. So the result was odd. I did like it a lot more compared to the original delivery.

To be fair, the boobs were a bit much. They were a bit in decline in the second and fourth seasons but it was still too much IMO and definitely annoying to watch. The overly cartoony blood splashes were definitely refined in the later seasons and mostly done away with which was a big relief (it was one of the things that put me off the first season at first).

Yeah, it was a mini series as the original Spartacus died of cancer IIRC and they needed to find his replacement. I was a big fan of the second season though, even more than the first and third.

[​IMG]

Hmmm, why does that ring a bell? :thinking:

Not seen Psychoville, what's the basic idea behind that one?