Will the ITF WC to be held in North Korea affect your decision to participate?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by itf-taekwondo, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I was gonna say, by ensuring that your Cardio based Training is functional, and relates to your goals, but Van Zandt not only beat me to the punch, he also worded it so much better...

Regards,

Travess

2. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

Good to have you here. Do you recall if this final match was scored pretty close or if Barada won with a large margin? Would be interesting for the untrained eye to know.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  3. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

A. I really do not recall. Too many years and too many matches judged since then.

B. Also, no way to know for sure. Judges "Scored" their own individual cards and marked the winner. If the majority of Judges scored Blue as the winner there was no way of knowing what each judges point awards were.

In addittion I know I have judged matches where I did not "Record" what I was pretty sure was a point that scored because I could not see it land due the angle, so other judges with a different angel would score it differently.

4. itf-taekwondo

Forgive my ignorance here, but is it not the case that a strike - punch or kick just a few inches from impact, with no successful block from the opponent, gives points just as much as it would under a controlled impact/contact?

That is to say the exact same way a point fighter in karate would normally gain points?

Does it really have to land - Hit the opponent?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  5. itf-taekwondo

This is in regards to strikes against the face.

6. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

In the (Karate) rule set I spar under , you must make contact to score.

7. itf-taekwondo

Which rules are that?

I was referring to "Light to no contact". If contact was required it would have read simply light contact, no?

The various demonstrations on Youtube does not make it apparent that you must make light contact.

8. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I thought ITF was the dubious semi contact rule set.

9. itf-taekwondo

I did too. But from my understanding the rules in nordic countries is light to no contact. And I wondered if the big torneys - European championships, World championships required contact, when apparently my nordic countries doesn't.

How do you mean semi contact is a dubious rule set?

10. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Rukles have changed over time and I will look for the set from that comp, but as I recall, for a judge to score a point he must see it make contact.

11. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

Just to stick to the topic though, I would go, always curious to see the north korea, the land where itf taekwondo was made. seriously why is the correction of taekwondo, wonderland on my word programme?!

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Was it made in North Korea?

Mitch

13. itf-taekwondo

I don't believe ITF originated in North Korea. It's South Korean by origin.

14. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

ahhh sorry i forgot that moment so sorry guys i was tired that time. This is so embarassing but i mean it's still kinda nice to go visit another country.

15. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

See

http://www.taekwon-do.fi/@Bin/32484...ent+Rules+-+In+force+of+January+1st,+2013.pdf
    item T35 "light Contact" "On Target"

16. itf-taekwondo

A black belt informed me that traveling to North Korea costs a fortune. It's out of the question.

17. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

ITF TKD is the original TKD or the KMA that 1st applied the name TKD. They did so in the ROK Army in a South Korea starting in 1955. Before this there was no TKD at all, anywhere. No one else but Gen. Choi, his followers & soldiers in the military used the TKD label. In fact a good way to look at it is Military TKD. When Gen. Choi & the soldiers under his command left the military they started to go abroad & teach this original TKD. This was what laid the base or foundation for the ITF to be created in 1966 on March 22 in Seoul South Korea. This also marked the 1st time Korea ever headquartered any international organization!

Now Gen. Choi conceived of the TKD name & applied it to what he & his soldiers were developing. They earlier used Tang Soo Do as the label. On the civilian side they also used Tang Soo Do, Kong Soo Do, Hwa Soo Do, Kwon Bup & Su Bak Do. In 1961 when they were ordered by the military dictatorship via decree #6 to reorganize they did so under a new compromise name of TAE SOO DO. They did not adopt the TKD name as their label until 1965 & later, in some cases 1978 or after.

North Korea never had TKD. While it is certain that they had some form of MAs, because of the secretive nature of their regime, we don't have good, clear or deep insight into what MAs they had & how widespread were they. We do know that they trained in what they call Kuk Sul. They even dispatched Kuk Sul instructors abroad to other communist countries & nations they were aligned with, including Poland.

TKD was only introduced to North Korea in 1980, by Gen. Choi & the 7th ITF Demo Team. After the series of successful performances, NK decided to embrace the original TKD, ITF TKD. In 1981 Gen. Choi sent 1 of the best ITF Masters ever, Park Jung-Tae & he taught the Special Instructors Course from Feb. to Sept. 1981. The 2nd Course was taught in 1982 by Masters Lim Won-Sup & Gen. Choi's only son, Choi Jung-Hwa. These graduates took over the responsibility to teach subsequent courses domestically & eventually certified ITF International Instructors were dispatched by the ITF using NK personnel, much like the ITF did when it was still in South Korea. Today NK still supports the ITF & has instructors teaching around the world. No real difference than what South Korea has been doing since the 1960s.

Since there is little ITF TKD in South Korea, few there know about the true history of TKD. It is actually sad that the country that gave the world TKD, South Korea, is the only country that doesn't realize the true history! What South Koreans know is that TKD is their national sport & it is an Olympic sport. They think everyone around the world does TKD as a sport & they do it the way they do it. So I guess when they heard that NK has ITF TKD, they falsely assume it is from North Korea. The media often portrays ITF TKD as communist TKD from NK. This false image is also propagated when they read news accounts of ITF-NK President Prof. Chang Ung, PhD & IOC Member from NK working on cooperation with the WTF.

Make no mistake about it, the 1st TKD was the Military TKD, which in turn became ITF TKD. It was 1st created in the ROK Army in South Korea under the leadership of Gen. Choi Hong-Hi

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  18. itf-taekwondo

Yep. Only a very small group practise Taekwon-Do in South Korea. The world taekwondo organisation took over . It's as if Taekwon-Do was erased from history:)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  19. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Correct, but the real history is making its way to the surface & it is only a matter of time before SK learns the truth, after all they have the world TKD!

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The real history won't alter the current TKD landscape even if it was broadcast on every news station. Most people only know the TKD that exists at the Olympics. Frankly, I think no-one outside of the ITF (any of them) know or really care about the real history.