Personal alarms

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Southpaw535, Oct 20, 2014.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Here's some information from the Suzy Lamplugh Trust:

"The purpose of a personal safety alarm is to shock and disorientate an attacker, giving you vital seconds to get away."

"The primary purpose of an alarm is not to attract or help. You cannot rely on them to do that. Firstly, there may not actually be anyone within earshot. Secondly, hearing an alarm does not necessarily attract help."

"If you are able to attract the attention of passers- by, you are more likely to get help if you shout a specific instruction – such as “Call the police!” This makes it clear that you are in danger and need help."

http://www.suzylamplugh.org/personal-safety-tips/free-personal-safety-tips/personal-alarms/

2. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I remember a sports coach of mine who installed a little buzzer thing in the portacabin where the equipment was stored. It's only function was to make a noise like an alarm and send the would be intruder running.

The same thing could work for personal alarms. Carrying out a potentially violent crime, I'd guess, is a pretty high-adrenaline activity and a loud alarm might make the assailant panic and choose to flee even if the alarm, practically speaking, didn't really do anything.

3. fthl

fthl www.jitsu.me

The post above quotin the Suzy lamplugh trust is spot on, in my view, they are for disorientation and to give an extra second to escape. They also make a 'slap' to the side of he head much more effective.